Steely Dan Katy Lied QUAD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaypfunk

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Does anyone know the story behind why this one never made as a quad release?

After a couple strong years, 1975 turned into a year of releases falling through. The pace started slowing way down. #abandonment

From QQ Happy New Year

ABC Records was pretty much out of the quad business by 1975, at least as far as putting out new releases. They also had a hell of a time mixing and mastering the stereo version (see here) so I think they were probably as keen to get as far away from it as possible.

We can only hope that Elliot Scheiner can/has/will do a 5.1 version someday - it's already been confirmed that a 5.1 mix of Pretzel Logic is in the can, so hopefully he was able to do the same for Katy Lied.

An advance ad in Billboard back in the day had the title as "Catty Lies" or something like that. For some reason there's a photo of a katydid (or bug like it, a locust or grasshopper) the band finally decided on, and called it "Katy Lied" instead, though what any of it meant remains beyond me (I think more than a few folks were smoking something potent during the album's production--and post production, apparently).

Some good stuff on it, but not holding my breath waiting for any Dan 5.1's, doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar.

ED :)

Katy Lied had some serious equipment issues during recording. It was greatly cleaned up during remastering for the MoFi 1/2 speed master in '78.

"Are you crazy? Are you high? Or just an ordinary guy?"

Back