Steve Hackett-Live at Royal Albert Hall

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if one has the $$$, is the BluRay any good?

Was the concert shot in HiResolution?

Will the bluray sound be DTS-Master?

When I am tired of stealing Lupins and giving Colsky parenting lessons, I rather fancy some old Genesis tunes in moving pictures...

Well Dennis, I've just parted with a few lupins for this, I'll let you know whether it was worth it when it arrives (post 30th June). It should be good, I'm not that worried if its only 2.0 :)eek:), I saw him in Birmingham last year, and it was a brilliant gig, and I'll see him again at Fairport Conventions Cropredy Festival later in the summer.

Well after hearing the Live at Hammersmith for first time last night I have put a preorder in for this for the bluray edition9artbook etc), yes it is over priced in my books and should have had a stand alone but the music is very dear to my heart and the DD 5.1 surprised me and sounds pretty good so hoping the bluray has lossless 5.1 and is it to much to hope for that it has a similar flat transfer like the Hammersmith show.

peter

Well after hearing the Live at Hammersmith for first time last night I have put a preorder in for this for the bluray edition9artbook etc), yes it is over priced in my books and should have had a stand alone but the music is very dear to my heart and the DD 5.1 surprised me and sounds pretty good so hoping the bluray has lossless 5.1 and is it to much to hope for that it has a similar flat transfer like the Hammersmith show.

peter

FWIW w/o comparing the contents, the PF Division Bell Box set is twice the price. Price-wise this looks like a bargain!

Here is an information in german from Germany Genesis fanclub:

Auf der Blu-ray sowie der Bonus-DVD im Artbook ist ein besonderes Feature enthalten. Darin verrät Steve Hackett, dass Steven Wilson gerne eine 5.1-Version des zweiten Hackett-Albums Please Don't Touch anfertigen würde, bleibt aber im Ungefähren, was den Stand der Umsetzung angeht. Zusätzlich würde Steve auch Spectral Mornings gern als 5.1-Version neu abmischen.

Short in english: Eventually there will be a 5.1 version of Steve Hackett's 2nd album "Please Don't Touch", because Steven Wilson wants to mix it.
There is also the wish to mix "Spectral Mornings" in 5.1
This is part of the interview that is stored on blu-ray and dvd of the Royal Albert Hall release.
So it is only a speculation, but it can be possible. FANTASTIC :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Auf der Blu-ray sowie der Bonus-DVD im Artbook ist ein besonderes Feature enthalten. Darin verrät Steve Hackett, dass Steven Wilson gerne eine 5.1-Version des zweiten Hackett-Albums Please Don't Touch anfertigen würde, bleibt aber im Ungefähren, was den Stand der Umsetzung angeht. Zusätzlich würde Steve auch Spectral Mornings gern als 5.1-Version neu abmischen.

Short in english: Eventually there will be a 5.1 version of Steve Hackett's 2nd album "Please Don't Touch", because Steven Wilson wants to mix it.
This is part of the interview that is stored on blu-ray and dvd of the Royal Albert Hall release.
So it is only a speculation, but it can be possible. FANTASTIC :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

That is very interesting news indeed, those would be good albums to do for sure.
Since some people have this did they make any comments on the dvd and bluray spec's and whether the 5.1 is good or not?

Not very detailed information about the 5.1 but found the German review,there is good information about the Artbook and Dvd details though:

http://www.genesis-fanclub.de/c-Ste...al-Albert-Hall-DVD-Bluray-Rezension-s656.html

and using google translate:

Image and sound
The picture is neat and has especially on the Blu-ray has its moments. A little, it leaves the impression that one would have even more to get out, but that's more complaining on a high level. The camera settings are solid and offer a good insight on what is happening on stage, but also on the time-honored hall. The sound is good and looks very authentic. Somewhat confusing is the statement "4.1." Blu-ray menu. This is obviously yet to 5.1, this indicates at least the receiver of the reviewer.

Wow!

To Mr. Colsky:

Yes I reveived the set but I had only time to hear 3 songs til now.
My ex moved to the new flat this saturday and the week before was true horror.
Now I have more time to hear it, as the house is quiet. Crazy!

But my first impression were that there are discrete sounds in the rears, but too much bass in the mix when the good old Taurus-Pedals are hit.
This is not too often, so I think I will like it.
Too early to say more. :)

From reviews on Germany Amazon, the Royal Albert Hall from Hackett has a 4.1 mix??? The problem is that my receiver can't read properly 4 channels.

This disc will have at least one 5.1 track you should be able to decode fine; I believe what is being said is that it is essentially 4.1 for sparse or no center channel information.

Mine has arrived! Unfortunately won't get a chance to hear it till tonight. The deluxe set is certainly a thing of beauty! LP sized and looks well-made. The surround track is DTS 4.1 Master Audio. My player shows it as 5.1 but there is NO sound from the centre channel. Stereo is 24/48 PCM. On a quick listen seems very nice!

Getting my U.K. on today.

Started with the Tour DF from the UK:

TDF 1.jpg

Might as well enjoy a brew from the UK (well, pretty close):

murphys_stout.jpg

Oh my! What has the postman delivered? Straight from the Land of Prog!!

SteveHackettLiveDVDRAH.jpg

And to top it off, look what dropped out. Hackett's DNA all over it :banana:

P7070005.JPG

Let the UK wash over me...or maybe I'll just drink it in :brew:brew

Packaging is gorgeous... First listen...music is performed by the musicians with a certain reverence. The audience is so polite, as if they are in church...subs need to be turned down(they were already turned down for Division Bell)...Oh my, Carpet Crawlers...back to the program...:smokin
Picture quality is excellent for the most part. Entertaining to watch as Hackett shares the screen with all the band members. (Unlike the Who BD. Who's the clown that directed that?)...Unquiet Slumbers, In The Quiet Earth, oh my this band is tight. They really nail these songs...Great performance and the audience even get's out of their seats for the last number :banana: Would need a few more listens to comment on the sound...

Last edited:
If someone does not have this yet, it is a nice set if it is in deed the 5 disk set including bluray and artbook, then this is a very,very good price at 22.38
I have a coworker who I alerted about this and they ordered and are receiving their copy tonight from amazon.ca so will know then if its correct package, based on the asin it is same asin as what I ordered 2 years ago so you might want to take a chance if you don't have this yet for Steve Hackett fans.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B00KBDQ4LU/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

peter

If someone does not have this yet, it is a nice set if it is in deed the 5 disk set including bluray and artbook, then this is a very,very good price at 22.38
I have a coworker who I alerted about this and they ordered and are receiving their copy tonight from amazon.ca so will know then if its correct package, based on the asin it is same asin as what I ordered 2 years ago so you might want to take a chance if you don't have this yet for Steve Hackett fans.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B00KBDQ4LU/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

peter

I'm interested if it contains a blu ray. Amazon.ca is vague at best (no surprise there :rolleyes: ) When I plug that ASIN number into Amazon.com, it shows as CDs, dvds, and a dvd-a. When I plug the same number into Amazon.de, it shows there's a blu ray included. Clear as mud. Thanks if you'll post about what your coworker receives Peter (y)

peter

That would be an amazing price for an amazing set from...;)

Stay away from this. The low end ruins it. Terrible.

Back