Steven Wilson Steven Wilson 2.0/5.1/Atmos mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just on the Chalkhills Website and spotted this:

Album of the Day

ear_onl.png

Oranges & Lemons

A massive bright psychedelic ear feast. Recorded in America for the American audience.

Bright is right!

The latest 2001 remaster has so much higher end EQ added to it, at loud volumes, it cuts your head off! (Especially with other songs on shuffle mode...)

Really looking forward to the new remix as long as it's not as bright and harsh as it is now, and I don't think it will be.

So who is this undiscovered one ;)

Rob Reed (Magenta, Kompendium, Chimpan A and his own solo work) is easily as good at 5.1 as Steven Wilson.

Interestingly, I know he's been looking for commercial (prog) re-mix opportunities to raise his profile but hasn't managed to land anything, or at least he hadn't last time I spoke to him, which seems odd given the supposed demand.

Rob Reed (Magenta, Kompendium, Chimpan A and his own solo work) is easily as good at 5.1 as Steven Wilson.

Interestingly, I know he's been looking for commercial (prog) re-mix opportunities to raise his profile but hasn't managed to land anything, or at least he hadn't last time I spoke to him, which seems odd given the supposed demand.

Rob Reed is one talented SOB, I would love hear some more 5.1 stuff from him. That being said the way SW mixes drums is second to none. Rob just mixes them in stereo, but overall his mixes are enjoyable.

Hi Neil, I know. Rob Reed is one of the best, really love his work and would be very excited when he would start working on 3rd party albums too.

It was more of a joke, as the undiscovered one is our QQ member Ryan Talbot.

Yes is dead. No Jon; no Yes. I can't believe any real Yes fan would support these idiots.

I agree w/ your sentiment No Jon, no Yes, but wouldn't characterize Howe, Squire and White as idiots... no matter how much I disagree w/ their choices about the band. But if you add Squire's absence to Anderson's, I can't see how they can continue (after fulfilling the obligations of the upcoming tour). As crucial as I think Anderson is to the Yes sound, Squire is at least as crucial, perhaps more-so.

A little harsh calling them idiots, but I get your meaning. I definitely feel they've reached the point where they need to just let it go. I hope Chris Squire will be ok...

Harsh? Are you for real? They treated Jon like dirt, 40 years and no respect. Horrible. Idiots is being kind.

Is Yes still around? :rolleyes:

They're around North America in a couple of months.

Here's how you solve the "..but is it [your favourite band]?" problem or debate:

1. Ignore the name of the band,
2. a) List the name of the players, b) Identify the music they will be playing
3. Ask yourself, "Do I want to see [list of players] playing [the music]?"

A Davidson, Howe, Kaye, Sherwood and White play (mostly old) Yes music show should be pretty good. Bonus if you like the players touring with them as Toto. FWIW, I've seen and heard Jon Davidson as well as Jon several times, and Davidson can sing lead for Yes just fine.

066-Steven-Wilson-handcannoterase-Neu-Isenburg-2015-mar-28-Large-1024x683.jpg

To fruitlessly try to turn this back on topic, I enjoyed these guys playing the music of the guy in front including "Hand. Cannot. Erase.", which I have playing in stereo now, but was playing the 5.1 PCM mix on the DB in the bedroom theater last night.

Aaaaand we're back.

Has Kaye replaced Downes? I hadn't heard. Checked yesworld.com and Downes is still listed as a current member- but then so is Squire, so maybe not too accurate.

Back on topic: I was hoping once Progeny was released, we'd soon hear about SW's next remix. I love Progeny, but I'm jonesin' for some new 5.1 Yes. Seems like it'll be Fragile, but I'm dying for Tales.

Last edited:
Back on topic: I was hoping once Progeny was released, we'd soon here about SW's next remix. I love Progeny, but I'm jonesin' for some new 5.1 Yes. Seems like it'll be Fragile, but I'm dying for Tales.

All my Christmases would come at once if both got released this year..!! :p :banana:

If they are thinking logically, they will put out "Tales" in the Fall and then "Fragile" next Spring (2016)
I doubt we'll see anything before September.

Plus, we've also got "Oranges & Lemons" and "Beat" to look forward too. It would be nice to get "Three of a Perfect Pair" too, but that might be a bit much for Panegyric to put out this year, especially considering that THRAKBOX is also coming.

If they are thinking logically, they will put out "Tales" in the Fall and then "Fragile" next Spring (2016)
I doubt we'll see anything before September.

Plus, we've also got "Oranges & Lemons" and "Beat" to look forward too. It would be nice to get "Three of a Perfect Pair" too, but that might be a bit much for Panegyric to put out this year, especially considering that THRAKBOX is also coming.

Logic? That's been a rare commodity indeed for this band for quite a while, imo. But I agree w/ you that would be the logical thing to do (which makes it unlikely). I agree we'll likely only get 1 Yes 5.1 released this year, unfortunately. I just wish they'd announce it already, even if we have to wait til Fall to get it. I just wanna know so if it is Tales, I can start that long period of anticipation.

As for the others you mention, I was never a fan of XTC and while I enjoy KC, I've never connected to their music on anywhere near the same level as I do to Yes.

Back