Stormbringer: Remastered/+DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone that has both versions (new dvd and old quad) can compare the two releases removing the center/sub channel from the new one?
Just to understand if they derived the 5.1 mix from the quad, leaving the original quad untouched (same as the old DTS CD by HDS), or messed up with the masters.

It is the same mix, with the tambourine on Rr and the back vox on the rears.
It is a huuuge improvement sonically. You obviously can still hear that it's a 1974 mix, but it's a good proof of what can happen when a quad mix is restored with care.

Pity it's only DTS and not Hi res (but thank goodness it's not Dolby)

It is the same mix, with the tambourine on Rr and the back vox on the rears.
It is a huuuge improvement sonically. You obviously can still hear that it's a 1974 mix, but it's a good proof of what can happen when a quad mix is restored with care.

Pity it's only DTS and not Hi res (but thank goodness it's not Dolby)

forgot to write...
It is the same mix, with the tambourine on Rr and the back vox on the rears in "Stormbringer".

And there are NO LYRICS in the booklet or onscreen (shoddy authoring)---

forgot to write...
It is the same mix, with the tambourine on Rr and the back vox on the rears in "Stormbringer".

And there are NO LYRICS in the booklet or onscreen (shoddy authoring)---

I did not think that the pictures used were that good a resolution to be quite honest, not that its about the pictures but its great to have a good copy of the original quad mix. Shame that they did not go the final mile and make this the ultimate elease.

I just ordered it.

BTW how is the sound compares to DVDA for Machine Head.

Is the Machine Head full blown DVDA?

Can't wait for Stormbringer package to arrive.

I never heard the Quad mix of that record.

I just ordered it.

BTW how is the sound compares to DVDA for Machine Head.

Is the Machine Head full blown DVDA?

Can't wait for Stormbringer package to arrive.

I never heard the Quad mix of that record.

If you are into discrete 70's mixes(like me) , you'll love it.
I don't have the Machine Head DVDA, since I'm not interested in the new 5.1 mix that is included there. The 70's Quad mix is on the SACD (or LPs...or Q4(?) or Q8), that's the one I got and it kicks ass bigtime...

Not to say that the USA (cd4/q8/q4) mix is still better than the UK (sq/q8) mix that has been released also in SACD.

Just got the dvd... and i'm puzzled: is this disc lacking bass?

I guess I'm surprised that the dvd is NTSC. Aren't dvd's in England released in the PAL format, or am I wrong?

And again, I'll say that this is a great sounding disc!

K

I guess I'm surprised that the dvd is NTSC. Aren't dvd's in England released in the PAL format, or am I wrong?

And again, I'll say that this is a great sounding disc!

K

one encodeing for worldwide release.

NTSC to PAL playback is not to bad and nowhere near the issues that PAL to NTSC has.

I do see from time to time domestic releases which are NTSC. As usual teh big killer is region coding which should be stopped immediatly for all DVD discs.

Just arrived from amazon.uk and on first listen it's a welcome addition, the bass seems a little on the subdued side however I haven't had a chance to A/B it against the LP or old DTS quad copy. Still pretty great mix and sonics for $18 or so from the UK to USA, (Thanks B.O. for the rebounding Dollar...) its a must buy. Maybe we've been spoiled with "Hi Rez", any time anyone wants to reissue a good old quad mix in a nice package like this....I'm on board. Musically not a Machine Head, but not the funk travesty Blackmore seemed to think! Poll Jon? John

If someone played this for me blind, I would have never guessed it was DP!
Deep Purple super funk!
It certainly has a '70's stamp on it is not all together dated.

The mix leans a bit heavy to the front speakers and the center channel is active with vocals and instruments.
The bass seems subdued to me rather than lacking. A slight bump to the sub provided a fix. Overall a nice sounding album with a better than average quad mix.

The overall packaging is nice. The booklet contains a detailed account of the albums time period with some nice photos and graphics.
It does seem like a oversight that they failed to include lyrics. Really the only noticeable knock against the release if the DTS only mix can be forgiven.

The physical release is not as detailed as britmarc noted back in January. Disc 1 is the original cd remastered plus Glenn Hughes remixes of 4 tracks plus one instrumental mix. Disc two is the DTS supposedly original quad mix (but as I mentioned, my center channel was very active) and a PCM 48/24 stereo mix.

An 8 for me!

Greg

Back