Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And he is back

Don't worry folks I won't use this thread as a continual sales pitch for the SM2!!

Yeah rite.. :QQlove :QQlove :QQlove

I recently read that Poncho Sanchez was getting an airing, so I looked about and found this dual disc, brand new, for no money.

This one:
https://www.discogs.com/Poncho-Sanchez-Poncho-At-Montreux/release/7267049
The music is great and the fidelity is good too...but the mix is so so.
You know what's coming...
Played it again through the SM2
It's like night and day..the surround just comes alive.
So I need to get those other duff mixes out and give them a blast!!

I have in the last few minutes got my SM2 wired into my system along with my Project S2 Ultra Phono Amp. So listening to the Can "Flow Motion" SACD which was recorded binaurally and it is wonderful, things happening in the rear channels which don't sound that great through headphones, surrounded by music :QQlove:51QQ and the sound quality is excellent. So 10/10 for Involve's analogue circuit design (and I'm an aging electronic engineer with quite a lot of analogue experience). Thanks folks, this is going to give my boring old stereo album collection a new lease of life - how did I survive without an SM1, and now how can anybody not have an SM2!

I have in the last few minutes got my SM2 wired into my system along with my Project S2 Ultra Phono Amp. So listening to the Can "Flow Motion" SACD which was recorded binaurally and it is wonderful, things happening in the rear channels which don't sound that great through headphones, surrounded by music :QQlove:51QQ and the sound quality is excellent. So 10/10 for Involve's analogue circuit design (and I'm an aging electronic engineer with quite a lot of analogue experience). Thanks folks, this is going to give my boring old stereo album collection a new lease of life - how did I survive without an SM1, and now how can anybody not have an SM2!

Strange but true Duncan
I have just listened to Can's Landed SACD...fabulous
This one:
https://www.discogs.com/Can-Landed/release/1393069
Welcome to the SM2 club Duncan..
It really is a totally fantastic experience to hear all this stereo in the new format...called surround!!

View attachment 41724

It does bring out certain details in the music (even some discrete in the rears) that I've never heard in my CDs before! It's like hearing it for the first time for some titles. And we've only just begun; CDs, SACDs, DVD-A (stereo), LPs, ...

Well I just listened to my Edgar Winter "They Only Come Out At Night" SQ LP which must be the first time since 1979 I've listened to the vinyl in Quad! I'd built this simple SQ decoder in 1977 IMG_1265.JPG using the Motorola IC, my Quad set-up lasted until the old amp I used for the rears went phut!

View attachment 41724
Hey

What speakers are you using?????

Most of the comments on the SM v2 have been regarding the stereo to surround decoding for music, including mine. I’ve found some movies that sound so good through the SM I wanted to pass it on. And I mean so good you might even want to use it in preference to an original 5.1 mix.

First up is Interstella 5555. A Japanese 2003 feature film set inspired by Daft Punk’s second album, Discovery. It’s a story about blueish alien musicians abducted by a power crazy music mogul to perform on Earth as the Crescendolls. Brainwashed, white washed, controlled like robots they have no choice but to perform. Don’t worry, it has a happy ending.

This has a 5.1 mix that is so lame so unbefitting the wonderful music that I preferred DPL II to 5.1. BUT! Listening to it through the SM really made the soundtrack wonderful again. There is no dialogue just the occasional sound effect & the 4.0 Involve mode is like magic.

Prince Sign “O” the Times is a 1987 live concert film presented in Dobly True HD 5.1 that sounds quite lack luster. It isn’t like I expect a really wild all around surround mix from a live but even the ambience & crowd noises fail to meld into a satisfying soundfield. Surround Master to the rescue! The front stage widens and the rear ambience becomes believable. The bass picks up a bit of impact without actually become more bass. Music, performance & vid quality is top notch.

Razorback is an Australian 1984 feature film that is just bat s**t crazy. At its simplest it’s about a giant razorback hog the size of an Escalade terrorizing a small Australian town in the outback. It’s also a revenge story as after the films horrific beginning it jumps 10 years forward as someone decides to revisit the town for obvious reasons. You might say it’s a Jaw’s rip off but really, did I say it’s bat s**t crazy?

This was a time when lower budget films did not use ADR or even on body mics. There would be a boom mic that picked up the dialogue but also room echoes. Where the SM excels at this is using the 5.1 mode it really cleans up the dialogue & puts ambience around you. Picture quality on BR is pretty good considering, music score is adequate quality & fidelity & I love how all the women in the film look like Olivia Newton John.

Oh yes, that epic 1995 anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion. I have the series on the Platinum DVD release & a legally purchased Japanese Blu-Rei which I ripped & put in fansub subtitles. But I want to comment on the re-release of this on Netflix. This version is absolutely the highest quality picture & sound I have seen of this. Much about the content & Netflix alterations is controversial but I won’t get into that. The 5.1 mix as I said is excellent but the SM amps it up a notch. It’s common practice to keep all dialogue in center front. Playing through Involve 4.1 it somehow knows if a character is to the left or right in a scene. An example is when two people are talking in an elevator and it’s a two head shot, one on the left, one on the right. The SM seems to pan the voices appropriately just to between center/left front or center/right front. Magic!! I have no explanation. I have double checked this both with and without a few cans of Yebisu beer & it remains the same.

In general there’s a lot of anime out there with only 2.0 chs or a badly done English 5.1 tracks. The SM is perfect for this.

When y’all feel full and satisfied listening to your favorite music I bet there’s a bunch of stuff you have on LD/DVD/BR that have only stereo or marginal surround sound tracks on them. The SM will work its wonders on these just as much as music.

Most of the comments on the SM v2 have been regarding the stereo to surround decoding for music, including mine. I’ve found some movies that sound so good through the SM I wanted to pass it on. And I mean so good you might even want to use it in preference to an original 5.1 mix.

View attachment 41756

First up is Interstella 5555. A Japanese 2003 feature film set inspired by Daft Punk’s second album, Discovery. It’s a story about blueish alien musicians abducted by a power crazy music mogul to perform on Earth as the Crescendolls. Brainwashed, white washed, controlled like robots they have no choice but to perform. Don’t worry, it has a happy ending.

This has a 5.1 mix that is so lame so unbefitting the wonderful music that I preferred DPL II to 5.1. BUT! Listening to it through the SM really made the soundtrack wonderful again. There is no dialogue just the occasional sound effect & the 4.0 Involve mode is like magic.

View attachment 41757

Prince Sign “O” the Times is a 1987 live concert film presented in Dobly True HD 5.1 that sounds quite lack luster. It isn’t like I expect a really wild all around surround mix from a live but even the ambience & crowd noises fail to meld into a satisfying soundfield. Surround Master to the rescue! The front stage widens and the rear ambience becomes believable. The bass picks up a bit of impact without actually become more bass. Music, performance & vid quality is top notch.

View attachment 41758

Razorback is an Australian 1984 feature film that is just bat s**t crazy. At its simplest it’s about a giant razorback hog the size of an Escalade terrorizing a small Australian town in the outback. It’s also a revenge story as after the films horrific beginning it jumps 10 years forward as someone decides to revisit the town for obvious reasons. You might say it’s a Jaw’s rip off but really, did I say it’s bat s**t crazy?

This was a time when lower budget films did not use ADR or even on body mics. There would be a boom mic that picked up the dialogue but also room echoes. Where the SM excels at this is using the 5.1 mode it really cleans up the dialogue & puts ambience around you. Picture quality on BR is pretty good considering, music score is adequate quality & fidelity & I love how all the women in the film look like Olivia Newton John.

View attachment 41759

Oh yes, that epic 1995 anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion. I have the series on the Platinum DVD release & a legally purchased Japanese Blu-Rei which I ripped & put in fansub subtitles. But I want to comment on the re-release of this on Netflix. This version is absolutely the highest quality picture & sound I have seen of this. Much about the content & Netflix alterations is controversial but I won’t get into that. The 5.1 mix as I said is excellent but the SM amps it up a notch. It’s common practice to keep all dialogue in center front. Playing through Involve 4.1 it somehow knows if a character is to the left or right in a scene. An example is when two people are talking in an elevator and it’s a two head shot, one on the left, one on the right. The SM seems to pan the voices appropriately just to between center/left front or center/right front. Magic!! I have no explanation. I have double checked this both with and without a few cans of Yebisu beer & it remains the same.

In general there’s a lot of anime out there with only 2.0 chs or a badly done English 5.1 tracks. The SM is perfect for this.

When y’all feel full and satisfied listening to your favorite music I bet there’s a bunch of stuff you have on LD/DVD/BR that have only stereo or marginal surround sound tracks on them. The SM will work its wonders on these just as much as music.

This sort of movie inclusion for SMv2/Involve usage plays well into what chucky is working on with the large corporations!

Just got my V2 - having fun reliving the first time around with some of my reference songs. I posted this when the original came out... I know Neil Diamond isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but throw on Play Me. The orchestra screams pretty much discretely through the rears. Pretty cool. 😁

Hi. All

I got this Jap LP import of " The Wall " a view year back and transferred it to CD.
Today I played it through the SM V2. and this is the closes that your going to get it in Surround Sound try it you`ll be surprised.

View attachment 41796
I have the American LP & CD from some years ago. I haven't listened to it through the SM yet. What made you choose the J LP version?

Last edited:
I have the American CD from some years ago. I haven't listened to it through the SM yet. What made you choose the J version?

Hi. Sonik Wiz

It was supposed to be a better quality pressing the shop imported it and at the time I was a big fan of Pink Floyd and still am...

What I have here folks, is a chap I've neen raving on about in a few other threads

He goes under the name of Schiller

I have quite a few of his releases.
His CD's, in particular, state they have a Dolby mix on them .
They sound great in my normal set up and they give a surround effect.
BUT
Wait until you hear them through the SM2
They just come alive...so discrete.
I would place them in the top10 for everything that we look for in our surround wishes...
YES thay really are that good.

I'm playing this one now:
https://www.discogs.com/Schiller-Zeitgeist/release/52240
If I can persuade you to give him a try (if you like his style of music), I'm 100% sure you will find the same amazement as me, in what the SM2 translates to our ears.

Back