Supertramp Crime of The Century finally coming in December

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colsky

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I've just seen this news:

Supertramp will reissue their Crime Of The Century album later this year.

Their third record was originally released in 1974 and this remastered version will mark its 40th anniversary. It launches on December 8.

The package features the original album, which has been remastered by Ray Staff, along with a live recording from the band’s appearance at London’s Hammersmith Odeon in March 1975. This disc has been mixed from the master tapes by original on-the-night engineer Ken Scott.

The album will be available on CD, 2CD, 180g vinyl, Blu-ray, digital formats and as a vinyl box set. The double CD package comes with a 24-page booklet featuring photos and interviews, while the vinyl box set includes an eight-page album-sized booklet, download code and two 10 x 8 prints.

Hopefully the blu ray will be 5.1 :mad:@:

I would not be to excited about a 5.1 mix.
Original album, remastered by Ray Staff at Air Studios.
A second disc features their 1975 Hammersmith Odeon concert, mixed from the original tapes by original on-the-night engineer Ken Scott.
No mention bout a remix of the original album. :(

Here are more words on it from here: http://www.zoiksonline.com/2014/10/music-news-supertramp-crime-of-century.html

Featuring the cream of Rick Davies' and Roger Hodgson's songwriting, Crime Of The Century was the first of the many peaks in Supertramp's illustrious career; an album that had everything to prove, full of tunes that effortlessly straddled the world of pure pop and progressive rock. The LP eventually peaked at Number 4 on the UK charts and saw the band for the first time on the US Top 40. It was the music and the album's cinematic sonic qualities that accounted for its impact.

Crime Of The Century is not only one of Supertramp's greatest works, but one of the most highly regarded recordings of 70s rock music. Released in 1974, it put the band on the map after three years of struggle. With the unmistakable blend of the two songwriters – Davies and Hodgson's – work, it married the sweetness of Hodgson's 'Dreamer' – the band's first big hit single – with the grit of Davies' similarly beloved 'Bloody Well Right.' In 'School,' 'Rudy' and the title track, the band – Davies, Hodgson, John Helliwell, Bob Siebenberg, and Dougie Thomson – helped define what would soon be known as 'Adult Oriented Rock.' This was – and is – not just an album that showed Supertramp's increased maturity, but a timeless gem, crammed with incredible melodies and thoughtful lyrics.

This 40th Anniversary edition contains the classic original album, remastered by Ray Staff at Air Studios, and a second disc features their 1975 Hammersmith Odeon concert, mixed from the original tapes by original on-the-night engineer Ken Scott, capturing the band on the verge of stardom, showcasing all of Crime, and also previewing tracks from the then-as-yet-unreleased follow-up, Crisis? What Crisis?

The 2-CD package comes with a 24-page booklet of photographs, and a new essay written by Phil Alexander, Editor-in-Chief of Mojo Magazine, containing new interviews with Dougie Thomson, John Helliwell, Ken Scott, Bob Siebenberg, Roger Hodgson, and 1973-1983 Supertramp manager Dave Margereson. Crime Of The Century is also available in 3LP and digital formats.

The heavyweight vinyl set in a beautiful box set, cut by Ray Staff at Air Studios, featuring all the material of the two CDs across three 180gm LPs, with an eight-page album-sized booklet with a longer version of Alexander's essay, and two 10x8 prints.

Crime Of The Century was produced by Ken Scott (The Beatles' 'White Album', David Bowie's The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars). His engineering prowess merited a Grammy nomination and became one of the 'go to' albums for Hi-Fi demonstrations alongside Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon.

Enjoy again the sonic excellence and musical and lyrical sophistication of this well-loved band on this timely celebration of one of Crime Of The Century, one of their landmark recordings.

ORIGINAL ALBUM: School / Bloody Well Right / Hide In Your Shell/ Asylum / Dreamer/Rudy / If Everyone Was Listening / Crime Of The Century

LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH 75: School / Bloody Well Right / Hide In Your Shell / Asylum / Sister Moonshine / Just A Normal Day / Another Man's Woman / Lady / A – You're Adorable / Dreamer / Rudy / If Everyone Was Listening / Crime Of The Century

I would not be to excited about a 5.1 mix.
Original album, remastered by Ray Staff at Air Studios.
A second disc features their 1975 Hammersmith Odeon concert, mixed from the original tapes by original on-the-night engineer Ken Scott.
No mention bout a remix of the original album. :(

I'm still hoping for 5.1, as the article I saw did say that it was coming out on blu ray too. I'm sure I remember an article where I read that this was one of the upcoming Universal blu rays.

I'm still hoping for 5.1, as the article I saw did say that it was coming out on blu ray too. I'm sure I remember an article where I read that this was one of the upcoming Universal blu rays.

I'd love this album in 5.1, but I suspect it won't be as neither was Breakfast in America. I would still buy it just to get Hi-Res stereo, but with a large amount of disappointment :(

I'd love this album in 5.1, but I suspect it won't be as neither was Breakfast in America. I would still buy it just to get Hi-Res stereo, but with a large amount of disappointment :(

Just because "Breakfast in America" was stereo only doesn't mean that is also the case with this release.
A LOT has changed since the beginning of the year and now we have Marley, Tears for Fears, Bryan Adams, and other HFPA albums in 5.1 that we would not have expected otherwise.

Let's just see. If it is 5.1, great! They get my money. If it isn't, they get nothing. Plain and simple.

this does not mention anything about a 5.1:

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-10-17/supertramp-remaster-crime-of-the-century-1

Their third record was originally released in 1974 and this remastered version will mark its 40th anniversary. It launches on December 8.

The package features the original album, which has been remastered by Ray Staff, along with a live recording from the band’s appearance at London’s Hammersmith Odeon in March 1975. This disc has been mixed from the master tapes by original on-the-night engineer Ken Scott.

The album will be available on CD, 2CD, 180g vinyl, Blu-ray, digital formats and as a vinyl box set. The double CD package comes with a 24-page booklet featuring photos and interviews, while the vinyl box set includes an eight-page album-sized booklet, download code and two 10 x 8 prints.

Earlier this year, Supertramp guitarist Carl Verheyen released solo album Mustang Run. It features guest contributions from Simon Philips, Chad Wackerman, Jerry Goodman, Bill Evans, Jimmy Johnson, Stuart Hamm and Gregg Bissonette.

Crime Of The Century tracklist
School
Bloody Well Right
Hide In Your Shell
Asylum
Dreamer
Rudy
If Everyone Was Listening
Crime Of The Century
Live At Hammersmith 1975
School
Bloody Well Right
Hide In Your Shell
Asylum
Sister Moonshine
Just A Normal Day
Another Man’s Woman
Lady
A - You’re Adorable
Dreamer
Rudy
Crime Of The Century

this does not mention anything about a 5.1:

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-10-17/supertramp-remaster-crime-of-the-century-1

Earlier this year, Supertramp guitarist Carl Verheyen released solo album Mustang Run. It features guest contributions from Simon Philips, Chad Wackerman, Jerry Goodman, Bill Evans, Jimmy Johnson, Stuart Hamm and Gregg Bissonette.

Crime Of The Century tracklist
School
Bloody Well Right
Hide In Your Shell
Asylum
Dreamer
Rudy
Crime Of The Century
Live At Hammersmith 1975
School
Bloody Well Right
Hide In Your Shell
Asylum
Sister Moonshine
Just A Normal Day
Another Man’s Woman
Lady
A - You’re Adorable
Dreamer
Rudy
Crime Of The Century

Not specifically, but it does say that the album will be available on blu-ray, so there's hope.

It also says the stereo is remastered so I'm expecting a compressed version similar to the HFPA Breakfast In America release. So I won't be buying this one although it is one of my all time favourite albums (unless it does have a surround mix of course).

BTW: The original CD release and MFSL CD are great sounding discs with no compression.

i have both of the MFSL discs which are the best i have heard to date. however i would be super stoked to hear this in 5.1 (along with breakfast in america)

Bloody Well Right...i'm a Dreamer this will be 5.1! If Everyone Was Listening..it would...sadly it may be the Crime of The Century! my favorite Supertramp album..so time will tell if it's Just A Normal Day......

It also says the stereo is remastered so I'm expecting a compressed version similar to the HFPA Breakfast In America release. So I won't be buying this one although it is one of my all time favourite albums (unless it does have a surround mix of course).

BTW: The original CD release and MFSL CD are great sounding discs with no compression.

But it will be compressed in 24 bits! :D No, seriously, can't see any reason buying this.

P.S. If it is not surround, that is.

Last edited:
I confess - I have not heard Breakfast in America on SHM-SACD which gets a lot of praise here. Though I must say that the HFPA Breakfast In America release is no slouch either. I am quite picky with this (normal picky that is, not like the eager graph readers here ;-)) and i do enjoy that disc. I will for sure buy Crime of the century on HFPA if it is on par with Breakfast - it will still be a decent to good AFFORDABLE version of this masterpiece that I still do not have on any digital media. An additional 5.1-mix would be very nice but I am afraid that it will not happen...

%2Faa_sun_19741108_p015-003.jpg

LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH 75: School / Bloody Well Right / Hide In Your Shell / Asylum / Sister Moonshine / Just A Normal Day / Another Man's Woman / Lady / A – You're Adorable / Dreamer / Rudy / If Everyone Was Listening / Crime Of The Century

I'm a bit surprised to see this included - I understood the band (which I think meant Rick) weren't too pleased when it was released on Burning Airplane as "Is Everybody Listening?" incorrectly credited as Cleveland, Ohio in 1976 (also bootlegged as "Dreamers in the USA 76" and "Crime and Crisis at the Beeb").

It's a great show. I hope they have left in John Helliwell's retorts to the heckler in the audience: "Listen pal, to get up here you need some material ... and the only material you've got is in that sh*tty suit."

Last edited:
Preorder from amazon.co.uk £21,71 (stereo only?)

Link

Product details
Blu-ray Audio (8 Dec 2014)
Number of Discs: 1
Format: Widescreen
Label: Commercial Marketing
ASIN: B00ELVVABW

Product Description
This 40th anniversary celebration features the remastered original album.

Back