Symbion Project - Misery in Soliloquy (quad surround + stereo cd)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bandcamp link is in the first post... Thats where I ordered it...

Just giving the Soundcloud streams a play and it sounds very good so far, in fact if they're all as good as the first few tracks I'll be ordering a copy. Anyone who like Porcupine Tree would like this.

Whoa, that just sold me.

Having listened to it all, it's a lot more electronic than anything PT did, so my comment relates more to the feeling/atmosphere/lyrics of some of the songs than instrumentation. I really enjoyed it and will certainly be buying.

Having listened to it all, it's a lot more electronic than anything PT did, so my comment relates more to the feeling/atmosphere/lyrics of some of the songs than instrumentation. I really enjoyed it and will certainly be buying.

OK, thanks for further clarification. Still sounds very interesting to me.

Hello again!

First off, thank you so much to all have picked up the album! such a renewed interest in that release, especially the surround audio mix has bolstered my commitment to finding opportunities to release future music in surround!
Your encouragement, info-sharing, and support are incredibly appreciated. The first batch of albums was shipped out yesterday and another batch are going in the post tomorrow. Let me know if they don't make it and I'll remedy that.

So a few more things upon reading your great comments…

- yes, BandCamp is the best place to purchase all my music. It's the only place where the DVD of Misery is sold, and the revenue I get from there has the least cuts from other services. All of my back-catalog albums are there in both digital and physical form (although a few releases are now out of print). Last year, for digital back catalog albums, I made them all free or pay-what-you-will (most pay… thanks!). If you enjoy atmospheric soundtrack classical type songs, then you should check out the Wendy Carlos/Vangelis inspired albums Contrapasso and Wound Up by God or the Devil. All vintage and current analog synths. Immortal Game is a down-tempo album with a mixture of different vocalists and if you're a fan of Massive Attack, Portishead, Lamb, Sneaker Pimps, than you'll enjoy that album. The debut album RED is a mixture of a few different styles. My upcoming release Semiotic is a harder-edged instrumental album more in the IDM genre with lots of heavier synths and complex drum programming.

- I am committed to releasing more surround music in the future. I think I've got a plan in place to do that, although it'll likely be a year or more before I'm able to work on that project. After making videogames for 15 years and working as the Audio Director on the Microsoft HoloLens project, I recently quit corporate life to solely focus on music for awhile. Hopefully this means I'll get to more surround audio!

- thanks for all the info and people to contact about DVD authoring, formats, etc! I'm VERY excited to hear that people are moving towards systems where direct digital downloads of the high-def surround wavs are a possibility. This cuts out the issues of DVD manufacturing and costs as well as shipping (and waiting!). - on that note, if anyone is interested in purchasing the Quad WAV audio files (24bit, 48KHz) for Misery in Soliloquy in lieu of the DVD (dts encoding) I can make those available for the same price ($10). For those who have already ordered, I can supply them to you for free. All you would have to do is paypal $10 to [email protected] along with your email address that I can send a download link to. Let me know if anyone is interested in this avenue.

- for those who are interested in other music projects I've been a part of (unfortunately no surround mixes), you can check out my past bands: Splashdown, Freezepop, Larkspur, The Planets Won't Let You Sleep Tonight, and Rocococo.

Ok, thanks again everyone and excited to be a part of such a vibrant, committed, and enthusiastic community!

kasson

Last edited:
Great post Kassan - I just sent you an email about the Quad link. I hope to hear back from you!!!

Well....Kassan, you can ignore my email. I decided to go ahead and place an order for the physical disc. I think I offered you a fair price for it. Anyway, I already placed order....I can answer you email if you happen to email me. Thanks!

Well....Kassan, you can ignore my email. I decided to go ahead and place an order for the physical disc. I think I offered you a fair price for it. Anyway, I already placed order....I can answer you email if you happen to email me. Thanks!

Now that is something I kinda struggle with a little bit.. the 'fair price'.. I've only bought one other thing on bandcamp (Ian Cooke 5.1) and I don't recall it being as cheap or rather as cheap as the suggested price came up on this one.. I get the concept.. but I buy so much surround stuff even though my conscience isn't 100% clear paying the suggested minimum my wallets mightily relieved! Tbh I'd rather they just had a fixed price that covers it rather than leaving it to "non-cheapskate but still on a budget" people (like me!) to mildly anguish over whether what they've paid really is enough.. hmm.. anyhoo, very much looking forward to hearing this one! :upthumb

Oh Ps. A Qn for Kassan, are there any of your games soundtracks in surround/4.0/5.1? (a la Amon Tobin-Splinter Cell/Chaos Theory)..?

if anyone is interested in purchasing the Quad WAV audio files (24bit, 48KHz) for Misery in Soliloquy in lieu of the DVD (dts encoding) I can make those available for the same price
i don't really see the point in offer DL version of audio stream in lossy DTS encoding.
best bet would be 4.0 mix as surround encoded wavpack or flac from original source.

i don't really see the point in offer DL version of audio stream in lossy DTS encoding.
best bet would be 4.0 mix as surround encoded wavpack or flac from original source.

For the record, I have heard many DTS encoded recordings that can easily surpass the sound of higher resolution releases. I think how a given release sounds has much more to do with how well the sessions were mixed and recorded than the final encoding on the delivered media. I am not saying that a DTS version sounds as good as a DVD-A or BluRay of the same recording. In fact, I've never even made that kind of comparison. What I am saying is, its a mistake to dismiss a recording based solely on the fact that its DTS encoded.

For the record, I have heard many DTS encoded recordings that can easily surpass the sound of higher resolution releases. I think how a given release sounds has much more to do with how well the sessions were mixed and recorded than the final encoding on the delivered media. I am not saying that a DTS version sounds as good as a DVD-A or BluRay of the same recording. In fact, I've never even made that kind of comparison. What I am saying is, its a mistake to dismiss a recording based solely on the fact that its DTS encoded.

No effing doubt! I agree.

For the record, I have heard many DTS encoded recordings that can easily surpass the sound of higher resolution releases.
yeah sure but you're comparing apples to oranges.
if sound is bad from mixing/mastering room, it will stay bad in any form, be it lossy or lossless.
if sound was done well, it definitely benefit from lossless delivery rather than from lossy.
now your comparison sort of: title "A" have been issued in HiRez lossless form but has very crappy sound,
when title "B" was issued in lossy but sounds incredible good, comparing to title "A" :p

You are correct and to illustrate your point I can expand it from DTS to the "often bashed" Dolby Digital recordings...some well done mixes surpass their higher resolution counterparts...

Now that is something I kinda struggle with a little bit.. the 'fair price'.. I've only bought one other thing on bandcamp (Ian Cooke 5.1) and I don't recall it being as cheap or rather as cheap as the suggested price came up on this one.. I get the concept.. but I buy so much surround stuff even though my conscience isn't 100% clear paying the suggested minimum my wallets mightily relieved! Tbh I'd rather they just had a fixed price that covers it rather than leaving it to "non-cheapskate but still on a budget" people (like me!) to mildly anguish over whether what they've paid really is enough.. hmm.. anyhoo, very much looking forward to hearing this one! :upthumb

Oh Ps. A Qn for Kassan, are there any of your games soundtracks in surround/4.0/5.1? (a la Amon Tobin-Splinter Cell/Chaos Theory)..?
I had the same dilemma. What I did was check the prices of the last few surround purchases I made (fortunately none were super duper deluxe) and averaged that. If things go well for the artist in the future, demand should play a larger role in pricing.

hi 0tto, I agree with you, but I think Kassan is just mentioning that the DVD is DTS encoded, not the download version. Download in FLAC is preferred by me anyway, for what it is worth ;)

Hello again!

First off, thank you so much to all have picked up the album! such a renewed interest in that release, especially the surround audio mix has bolstered my commitment to finding opportunities to release future music in surround!
Your encouragement, info-sharing, and support are incredibly appreciated. The first batch of albums was shipped out yesterday and another batch are going in the post tomorrow. Let me know if they don't make it and I'll remedy that.

So a few more things upon reading your great comments…

- yes, BandCamp is the best place to purchase all my music. It's the only place where the DVD of Misery is sold, and the revenue I get from there has the least cuts from other services. All of my back-catalog albums are there in both digital and physical form (although a few releases are now out of print). Last year, for digital back catalog albums, I made them all free or pay-what-you-will (most pay… thanks!). If you enjoy atmospheric soundtrack classical type songs, then you should check out the Wendy Carlos/Vangelis inspired albums Contrapasso and Wound Up by God or the Devil. All vintage and current analog synths. Immortal Game is a down-tempo album with a mixture of different vocalists and if you're a fan of Massive Attack, Portishead, Lamb, Sneaker Pimps, than you'll enjoy that album. The debut album RED is a mixture of a few different styles. My upcoming release Semiotic is a harder-edged instrumental album more in the IDM genre with lots of heavier synths and complex drum programming.

- I am committed to releasing more surround music in the future. I think I've got a plan in place to do that, although it'll likely be a year or more before I'm able to work on that project. After making videogames for 15 years and working as the Audio Director on the Microsoft HoloLens project, I recently quit corporate life to solely focus on music for awhile. Hopefully this means I'll get to more surround audio!

- thanks for all the info and people to contact about DVD authoring, formats, etc! I'm VERY excited to hear that people are moving towards systems where direct digital downloads of the high-def surround wavs are a possibility. This cuts out the issues of DVD manufacturing and costs as well as shipping (and waiting!). - on that note, if anyone is interested in purchasing the Quad WAV audio files (24bit, 48KHz) for Misery in Soliloquy in lieu of the DVD (dts encoding) I can make those available for the same price ($10). For those who have already ordered, I can supply them to you for free. All you would have to do is paypal $10 to [email protected] along with your email address that I can send a download link to. Let me know if anyone is interested in this avenue.

- for those who are interested in other music projects I've been a part of (unfortunately no surround mixes), you can check out my past bands: Splashdown, Freezepop, Larkspur, The Planets Won't Let You Sleep Tonight, and Rocococo.

Ok, thanks again everyone and excited to be a part of such a vibrant, committed, and enthusiastic community!

kasson

I will definitely be purchasing those Quad files, thanks.

Back