HiRez Poll TEMPLE OF THE DOG - TEMPLE OF THE DOG [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Temple of the Dog - TEMPLE OF THE DOG

• Total voters
Can anyone convince me to spend that money on it?

It's not a bad surround mix by any means- I think it's better than either of the Soundgarden 5.1 releases. The reviews upthread mostly have it down. It's not terribly discrete, but I'm not really sure how much channel separation you can expect from a '90s grunge album. A lot of the guitar overdubs probably sound similar, and really spreading things out might seriously change the overall sound/vibe of the album. It's very true to the original dense "wall of sound"-style production.

That being said there are some interesting and rather adventurous mixing choices, particularly the decision to split the Vedder/Cornell duet in "Hunger Strike" front and rear. I actually think this was a really cool quad-esque idea, but something is off about the balance. It's curious to me that some members upthread complained about Vedder's vocal in the rear overpowering Cornell's vocal in the center channel. On my system (especially in my car), it sounds like Vedder's vocal is buried in the rears. When he comes in the volume noticeably drops. So that's a bit annoying. I've been meaning to tinker with the files to see what's up with that.

Overall I'd say it's decent (probably the best this album will ever sound), but I'd wait for some kind of sale.

It's not a bad surround mix by any means- I think it's better than either of the Soundgarden 5.1 releases. The reviews upthread mostly have it down. It's not terribly discrete, but I'm not really sure how much channel separation you can expect from a '90s grunge album. A lot of the guitar overdubs probably sound similar, and really spreading things out might seriously change the overall sound/vibe of the album. It's very true to the original dense "wall of sound"-style production.

That being said there are some interesting and rather adventurous mixing choices, particularly the decision to split the Vedder/Cornell duet in "Hunger Strike" front and rear. I actually think this was a really cool quad-esque idea, but something is off about the balance. It's curious to me that some members upthread complained about Vedder's vocal in the rear overpowering Cornell's vocal in the center channel. On my system (especially in my car), it sounds like Vedder's vocal is buried in the rears. When he comes in the volume noticeably drops. So that's a bit annoying. I've been meaning to tinker with the files to see what's up with that.

Overall I'd say it's decent (probably the best this album will ever sound), but I'd wait for some kind of sale.

Oh yes, I do remember that now, the entire album was sterling in my opinion except with Vedder's vocals on Hunger Strike, like I imediately wanted more from his vocals but just wasnt there, still a 10 for me.

Thought I'd spin this again, since I've radically changed my system.
Cornell's and Vedder's vocal still sound very well balanced.
Though I find I need to cut back the subs a bit, compared to my favorite reference discs.
It occurs to me that placing a lead vocal part in the rears is pretty rare. Especially with another lead vocal in the mix (a duet). Normally backing vocals are mismatched from leads (quite a bit lower). So, differences in level and presence are to be expected with bgvs in the surrounds and lead up front. With a duet split front and rear, any imbalance (in the system, the mix or both) is going to be far more noticeable.

Thought I'd spin this again, since I've radically changed my system.
Cornell's and Vedder's vocal still sound very well balanced.
Though I find I need to cut back the subs a bit, compared to my favorite reference discs.
It occurs to me that placing a lead vocal part in the rears is pretty rare. Especially with another lead vocal in the mix (a duet). Normally backing vocals are mismatched from leads (quite a bit lower). So, differences in level and presence are to be expected with bgvs in the surrounds and lead up front. With a duet split front and rear, any imbalance (in the system, the mix or both) is going to be far more noticeable.
Decided to check this one out too (never listened to it before, lol)... "Hunger Strike" sounds great to me! Nice mix, and the vocals sound balanced to me as well. Time to settle in for the whole album...

Edit: Wow, reading back through this thread there is a lesson to be learned for future mixing engineers: don't split lead vocals front/rear, lol!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this from start to finish... great tunes and mix. While there are some completely discrete elements, mostly the mix has a little of "everything everywhere" with "discrete emphasis" (I just made that up) allowing you to localize different musical elements to different areas of the room... backing vocals, keyboards, select guitars, a banjo, etc. are emphasized in the rears, while drums, bass, main guitars, and lead vocals are emphasized in front. I like that I don't feel the need to open Audacity and start tinkering, lol. Overall it's an excellent and immersive surround mix. The only slight issue I have is that this is mastered really loud... it seems to add some distortion that didn't need to be there. 9.

But you scored it for $73? Damn.
I did get it for $73. Here is my theory of why as I also bought the super unknown super deluxe a couple months ago for I believe $100. These are brand new from amazon just to clarify.

I have on my “music wishlist” or have had badmotofinger, superunknown, TOD, imagine, and other multi channel releases/expensive box sets. I generally check the list every day and out of the blue amazon, like today will have it marked way down, but like mentioned when I bought at this price it said only 1 left in stock.

They can see pretty much all we do I’m sure so I wonder if they decide hey this weirdo checks his list every day, let’s drop the price for a day and see if he buys it......ha. I doubt that’s exactly how it goes as they are one of the The largest companies in the world but I’m sure it has something to do with it?

I did get it for $73. Here is my theory of why as I also bought the super unknown super deluxe a couple months ago for I believe $100. These are brand new from amazon just to clarify.

I have on my “music wishlist” or have had badmotofinger, superunknown, TOD, imagine, and other multi channel releases/expensive box sets. I generally check the list every day and out of the blue amazon, like today will have it marked way down, but like mentioned when I bought at this price it said only 1 left in stock.

They can see pretty much all we do I’m sure so I wonder if they decide hey this weirdo checks his list every day, let’s drop the price for a day and see if he buys it......ha. I doubt that’s exactly how it goes as they are one of the The largest companies in the world but I’m sure it has something to do with it?
Now....if you are really smart and look hard enough especially on eBay I’ve picked up Brand New copies off there for $50 shipping included all within the past 6 months or so😀

Just for example someone was offering it for $70 or best offer....Nuff said😀

Now....if you are really smart and look hard enough especially on eBay I’ve picked up Brand New copies off there for $50 shipping included all within the past 6 months or so😀

Just for example someone was offering it for $70 or best offer....Nuff said😀
Ha true, I actuallhad been looking on eBay also. I’d prefer to get from amazon however but I’ve bought my fair share off eBay over the years also.

Took a listen this morning. Really just sat down too listen to Hunger Strike but sat through majority of the album.

This is a LOUD mix. My processor set at -20 my average in room dB’s was 95. Rocking bass, I do use 4 Danley DTS-10’s and 2 Nearfield DIYsoundgroup MBM 12’s and had to pull way back my settings. Albeit I run my subs almost 20dB hot ha.

I first listened too the DTS-HD mix and thought it sounded great yet slightly jumbled. Half way through the album I switched too Dolby TrueHD and it really made things seem cleaner overall with a bit more separation.

I’d give it an 8 overall. I also though hunger strike sounded great by the way as some have disliked Eddies vocals being in the side surrounds. In my system it created a great center image that when Cornell came in imaged very well.

Well I finally sprang for this one of my favourite albums from way back in the 90's given the bad rep I was not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised.
Much better than I was expecting.
Mixing choices were sometimes flakey but how often is there a perfect surround mix ?
There's a live performance on the BD that isn't surround, but so damn good it's worth the price if admission, imo. Most of the clips are crap though.

There's a live performance on the BD that isn't surround, but so damn good it's worth the price if admission, imo. Most of the clips are crap though.
Watching right now totally awsome

Way back when I played bass in a band we used to do Hunger Strike we thought we were good but possibly we weren't 😂😂

Last edited:
I can't imagine Hunger Strike being good. I just can't deal with the choice to place Ed in the surrounds.

Back