SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Kent Nagano's performance of Bernstein's Mass. It is a long time since I have listened to it in two channels. I remember a fairly involving interpretation but I have no other artistic reference for this work. You've just gave me the wish to listen to this disc another time. :) I will give it a try in 3 channels (I have no surround speaker, for the time being).
Scytales, I know what would make a great Christmas gift for you. :51QQ

For simply piano, this isn’t too bad in Atmos because of the drone aspects on some songs.

I purchased the Complete Organ Works of J.S. Bach that were analog recordings from France (I think) but were sold in FLAC. I wish I played an instrument (I begged my parents for piano lessons and they said no because we didn’t have room for a piano in our tiny house….and getting one into the basement…well I was game but not the parental units). I started listening to Bach organ works in high school and originally bought the Complete Works on LP (18 records for $20.00 in 1971 at a bookstore in Milwaukee). The set I bought on FLAC has like 378 tracks….it is awesome!
Like you, I grew up in Wisconsin (Madison). I wanted an electric guitar, but my Dad bought me an accordian with lessons. In 1971, I bought Beethoven's 9 symphonies on vinyl.

I
But then I stumbled on this and because the price was right, I ordered it right away. Have you heard it? What do you think?
View attachment 98552
Also, am I correct in finding classical work omitted from the polls, or is there not enough interest for voting?

As I said yesterday, I listened to this disc at night.

Artistically, the work and the performance are both better than I remembered. I find the vocal soloist top notch (except perhaps one female voice). I didn't remember that Bernstein was obviously as much inspired by Shostakovich's symphonic music in his Mass.

I was captivated by the performance of this inventive musical work and I couldn't help but listen to both discs despite the late hour.

I also compared the stereo track to the multichannel track, but only in three front channels.
Generally speaking, the balance between the electrified parts and the "unplugged" parts favor the former (to much level and those part are too much put at the forefront of the sound-stage).

Obviously, the sound recording is multimicrophonic, with the usual faults of this method (unrealistic sound-stage and slightly distorted highs, especially on large groups of singers), and there are obvious dynamic compression or limiting (notably on the percussions) but the whole remains very enjoyable to listen to.

Last edited:
Pretty quiet here lately.

This is really tempting--though it would be more so if they'd put it on a $49 Blu-Ray. (30 CDs? I get the appeal of the repro album jackets, but still. . . .) Also, as long as I'm carping: I get that "Mercury Living Presence" is what they're selling, but Dorati did a bunch of fantastic mono recordings with Minneapolis before the advent of stereo, too. Why not include those and make it a truly complete box set?
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/antal-dorati-the-mercury-masters/hnum/11520035

Last edited:
Pretty quiet here lately. This is really tempting--but it would be a lot more so if they'd put it on a $49 Blu-Ray. (30 CDs? Really?) Also, as long as I'm carping: I get that "Mercury Living Presence" is what they're selling, but Dorati did a bunch of fantastic mono recordings with Minneapolis before the advent of stereo, too. Why not include those and make it a truly complete box set?
The monos are in a separate box. Eloquence 484 4064 (31 CDs)

Last edited:
Pretty good if you like that sort of thing (early music with you-in-the-middle mix). Available for download or SACD
1703100543091.png

https://audiofiles.tacet.de/shop/270-vox-dilecti-mei/https://www.tacet.de/main/seite1.php?language=en&filename=production.php&bestnr=02704

Pretty quiet here lately.

This is really tempting--though it would be more so if they'd put it on a $49 Blu-Ray. (30 CDs? I get the appeal of the repro album jackets, but still. . . .) Also, as long as I'm carping: I get that "Mercury Living Presence" is what they're selling, but Dorati did a bunch of fantastic mono recordings with Minneapolis before the advent of stereo, too. Why not include those and make it a truly complete box set?
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/antal-dorati-the-mercury-masters/hnum/11520035
I got the three Mercury cubes and I'm pretty happy with them. Going to stick to those I think. Plus, y'know, streaming. I know the cubes didn't have absolutely everything, but they had so much...

I got the three Mercury cubes and I'm pretty happy with them. Going to stick to those I think. Plus, y'know, streaming. I know the cubes didn't have absolutely everything, but they had so much...
FWIW: at the end of the (fascinating!) podcast with Tom Fine that I belatedly added to my previous post, Fine says he hopes all of the Mercury/Eloquence projects will be available on all the major streaming services in 2024.

Last edited:
FWIW: at the end of the (fascinating!) podcast with Tom Fine that I belatedly added to my previous post, Fine says he hopes all of the Mercury/Eloquence projects will be available on all the major streaming services in 2024.
Downloaded the podcast for next drive I have. Looking at Spotify, quite a bit of mono Dorati that wasn't in the cubes is now on streaming.

Last edited:
Back