SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mentioned in @humprof's list of lists in the streaming atmos thread

Half seem to be available in surround. Jonathan Tetelman, Jessye Norman, and the Monteverdi in spatial audio. Missy Mazzoli SACD and download. BMOP playing Joan Tower SACD only.
EDIT The Joan Tower says SACD on the BMOP page but I don't see the SACD symbol on the cover.

Last edited:
Tribute to Miyoshi

Miyoshi:
Conversation
Torse III
Ripple
Concerto for Marimba and String Ensemble*
6 Prelude Etudes

Kuniko (marimba)
Scottish Ensemble*

Abstract but generally mellow and atmospheric music. Kuniko’s earlier recordings, such as Cantus and the music of Steve Reich, are more interesting, especially from a surround experience. These earlier MCH mixes immerse and wash over the listener. This tribute to Miyoshi has a basic immersive feel, but most of this performance is by a single instrument. Thus, the soundstage is simply one marimba playing and naturally filling one’s room with calm, reflective sounds.
IMG_1248.jpeg

Last edited:
Gave a listen to the Brahms Clarinet Sonata No. 1 on a great BIS record. The Andante from the piece in particular stuck in my mind.

A1WYyTeDPGL._SL600_.jpg

(this is from a different recording)

I love Brahms’s late works in general, but he definitely wrote inspired music for the clarinet. I guess we owe a debt of gratitude to the mezzo sopranos in his life. 😉

Last edited:
Is there a way to filter the releases here and at Sono Luminus by multichannel?
Not that I know of. Almost any release on the BIS label should be available in 24-bit Surround (5.0) FLAC, but the other labels they distribute provide stereo downloads only. The SL catalog, meanwhile, isn't that big, although it their ratio of stereo CDs to BDA+CD seems to have grown lately. But if you don't want to click through to the individual title, then just look at the original price: if it was $15.99, it's probably a CD; $18.99, Blu-Ray.

Nope, wasn’t aware of that one, interesting find!

Always thought the ‘discrete 4 channel’
stereo looked a little confusing; would it have killed them to put an ‘and’ between :)
"Petrouchka," at least, wound up getting a 24/96 stereo remaster. I wonder if the quad masters are available to Dutton? @steelydave, can you shed any light?

"Petrouchka," at least, wound up getting a 24/96 stereo remaster. I wonder if the quad masters are available to Dutton? @steelydave, can you shed any light?

Originally released in 1968, the Ozawa/BSO Firebird/Petrouchka was released in the US on Q8 (RQ8-1164) as part of RCA's initial Q8 offering in November 1970.

I'm not sure if the quad masters are available to D-V or not - Mike knows the classical side of quad far more intimately than I do so I'm not as involved on this side of things - but I'd also wonder (aloud, here) how "quadraphonically interesting" an album recorded in 1968 with stereo in mind would sound. Having said that I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised if it comes out next month and sounds great.

D-V have released other quad versions (from Columbia Masterworks) of The Firebird (Boulez/NY Philharmonic) and the Rite of Spring (Mehta/NY Philharmonic) on CDLX 7377 in 2020, and Petrushka (along with Pulcinella Suite) on CDLX 7343 in 2017.

Originally released in 1968, the Ozawa/BSO Firebird/Petrouchka was released in the US on Q8 (RQ8-1164) as part of RCA's initial Q8 offering in November 1970.

I'm not sure if the quad masters are available to D-V or not - Mike knows the classical side of quad far more intimately than I do so I'm not as involved on this side of things - but I'd also wonder (aloud, here) how "quadraphonically interesting" an album recorded in 1968 with stereo in mind would sound. Having said that I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised if it comes out next month and sounds great.

D-V have released other quad versions (from Columbia Masterworks) of The Firebird (Boulez/NY Philharmonic) and the Rite of Spring (Mehta/NY Philharmonic) on CDLX 7377 in 2020, and Petrushka (along with Pulcinella Suite) on CDLX 7343 in 2017.
Yeah, it also occurred to me to wonder how much incentive Dutton would have to release yet another Petrouchka and Firebird Suite. But also to wonder if that recording session might have been written up somewhere. (Maybe it was actually an early experimental quad session, and they decided to do some wacky things with it?)

D-V also issued the Bernstein Rite, which is extremely quaddy as I recall - CDLX 7383. Technically the Boulez firebird is of the complete ballet, not just the suite - I actually think the suite is more satisfying in the concert hall but the trend has been to play the whole thing.

Know anything about the Bernstein recording of the Stravinsky Oedipus that was mentioned higher up or in another thread?

Re the suggestion of Scheherazade, although we have the dynamite 3-channel Reiner version from the 1950s on SACD, there still isn't a great quad/surround digital version IMO.

D-V also issued the Bernstein Rite, which is extremely quaddy as I recall - CDLX 7383. Technically the Boulez firebird is of the complete ballet, not just the suite - I actually think the suite is more satisfying in the concert hall but the trend has been to play the whole thing.

Know anything about the Bernstein recording of the Stravinsky Oedipus that was mentioned higher up or in another thread?

Re the suggestion of Scheherazade, although we have the dynamite 3-channel Reiner version from the 1950s on SACD, there still isn't a great quad/surround digital version IMO.

I emailed Mike Dutton all the information about the Bernstein Oedipus Rex and also the Berlioz Requiem too, and spoke to him on the phone about it (amongst other things) late last week. Without disclosing too much, it's safe to say he's interested in both of these, not least because of the Bernstein biopic that came out recently has led to renewed interest in his work.

It sounds like Oedipus Rex may be the easier of the two, simply because a finished quad master is more likely to exist. Again I'm somewhat out of my depth here but from what I understood in what he told me, if a quad master doesn't exist, the main stumbling block is the existence of an edited multitrack master, ie. one where the correct takes and sections from the recording sections have been edited together to match the released album.

If that doesn't exist, Sony have to be convinced to do the tape library research, and even then it can often be prohibitively expensive to transfer all the multitrack session reels to reconstruct the album. But as we've seen, Mike has done quite a few quad remixes of vintage classical material, so sometimes all these stars do align. Suffice it to say that these two recordings are on his radar now, so we'll just have to wait and see how things develop.

Back