The Doors - The Singles (2CD/4.0 Blu-Ray set) coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I understand it to a degree. So, this particular release has been mastered differently? Or maybe, that is always the case when it is released to another format? I don't follow that part I guess.

My understanding is that mastering does not necessarily have to be different between digital formats. But I could be wrong.

I ordered it simply because it's easier to back up to the PC and encode to different formats. I did a DTS Conversion of the old AF disc but cut the volume way too low...$18 is worth not having to do it again IMO

Doors, with more bass would make me happy...

Gene, I've had the DVD~V DTS 4.0 of Rhino's Chicago Transit Authority for years and when RHINO released the Chicago BD~A boxset, CTA sounded astoundingly MORE brilliant on BD~A than the DVD~V so I have little doubt Rhino's BD~A of the Doors should sound any less stellar.

'Foraging Rhino' stated that the bass on the BD~A was preferable which, IMO, can effectively alter the midrange frequencies as well. [Post #43 on this thread]

I did note that the AF SACD was a bit bass shy.

It sounds as though they EQed it differently then, which would require a new mastering, AFaIK. Or maybe the encode makes a difference, even with the same master. DTS-HD MA vs. DSD, etc.

I bet buying the BD, one would at least get their money back for the SACD on the used market.

Or maybe the encode makes a difference, even with the same master. DTS-HD MA vs. DSD, etc.

the encode would always make a difference because DTS-HD can't be 88.1kHz like SACD can

and vice versa, SACD can't be 96kHz like DTS-HD can

I know it's OCD to point it out but 96kHz anything always sounds better to my ears, 24 bit to boot

anyway, just pre-ordered on amazon (because you guys just won't shut up lol) because the SACD is pretty revelatory so if the blu has an even better sound of "Riders on the storm" than that's worth price of admission alone.

killer on the road.........yeah

who am I kidding, I'll buy anything Doors related, even Oliver Stone's film (which I liked )

Last edited:
The SACD was fine. Crank it up and it sounded LOUD, but still not as dynamic as it could be.

This Blu-ray is vibrant. It just leaps out of the speakers. It's full of oooomph and life.

I don't like the first track, but I listened right through the others twice in sheer joy, bopping away happily.

It's not mastered loud, it's not compressed to hell - it's just right for the music.

I don't do technical terms.

The SACD was fine. Crank it up and it sounded LOUD, but still not as dynamic as it could be.

This Blu-ray is vibrant. It just leaps out of the speakers. It's full of oooomph and life.

I don't like the first track, but I listened right through the others twice in sheer joy, bopping away happily.

It's not mastered loud, it's not compressed to hell - it's just right for the music.

I don't do technical terms.

The Quadradisc is a dynamic "jump outta the speakers at ya" kind of sounding disc. The AF while sounding very good, is just not that kind of experience. I'd be glad to find that the new BR version is that kind of dynamic exciting sounding product.

Last edited:
the encode would always make a difference because DTS-HD can't be 88.1kHz like SACD can
Whoa... No, SACD/DSD will never have an 88.2kHz sampling rate. The only sampling rate for SACD—and the lowest for any commercially released DSD—is 2.8224MHz, or 64x that of CD Digital Audio (44.1kHz). However, DSD has a bit depth of only 1-bit, and is encoded as sigma-delta pulse width modulation rather than the ubiquitous pulse code modulation (PCM) encoding found on all other disc formats (CDDA, DVD-V, DVD-A, Blu-ray). Because of this difference, DSD is not directly comparable to PCM. When converting DSD to PCM, binary integer division is often used to arrive at a PCM sample rate (binary multiples of 44.1kHz), and because 2.8224MHz DSD offers frequency response up to approximately 50kHz, 88.2kHz is often used to capture most of that (up to 44.1kHz). Perhaps that's where your confusion comes from?

So I like the Doors, but I'm not a fanatic (sorry Gene). So I've just finished listening to the Blu-Ray, its a goodie :banana:, superb sound, it breathes, if you know what I mean. It sounds fantastic considering its 1973 vintage Quad master, which itself was mixed from older multi-track. I'm really impressed. :upthumb:spot

Its sampled at 192kHz. Oversampling allows the use of smoother/slower roll-off filters to be used, I've used Bessel filters on some designs I've done, which a lot of people prefer (gets round some of the 'brick-wall' effects people complain about), so its not done to give us higher frequencies which most people can't hear. Oversampling also spreads the quantisation noise from the ADC over a much wider frequency range, reducing its effect.

Just got home from work, and this was waiting in my mailbox.
Only listened to Riders on the Storm so far, and WOW, the mix and fidelity are thru the roof! I'm hearing parts I had not noticed before.::banana:
Will definitely play this a bunch his weekend and will vote as soon a the poll is posted. What a steal for $15 shipped

mine should arrive soon, I've had the quad 8-track and vinyl for decades and as I have all the doors in surround, the SACD was not a high priority, now I'm glad I passed on this particular title...this new release looks great and sensibly priced. color me impressed.

My plan is to wait for deepdiscount's next coupon code

Or, EB, you can do what Clint and I have done. Log In to Deep Discount and put a few items in your cart w/o placing an order [meeting their $25 FREE shipping requirement] and then DD might slip a $5 off coupon in your email.

In the past few weeks, I've received three $5 off coupon codes from both DD and ImportCD.

Works for me. Note: For orders less than $25 they'll impose a $2.99 s/h fee.

Mine showed up in the mail today. Very nice!! 3 Discs in a tri-fold cardboard type CD pack. Discs came out easily, but they didn't fall out, which is good!

Started with the BluRay, and ForagingRhino was right, the bass kicks butt, at least on my house system. I didn't break out the AF SACD to compare, but this thing sounds clean, mean, and serene!! :)

And a great value. For half of what Universal charged for their BluRay Audio's, you get this BluRay, and two CDs full of great stuff I have yet to listen to, but am looking forward to - as I haven't really heard the singles versions of these tunes in decades. As for 'Best of the Doors', well having the AF SACD come out last year, or was it 2 years ago, steals a bit of the thunder from this release, but I can tell you that the BluRay sounds freakin' amazing, so it's well worth the $20 or less to get this release even if you got the SACD. Since the album tracks were never native DSD, this disc is probably more pure than the SACD, but I'm not getting into that vortex at this point! :confused:

So far, ForagingRhino is a very big two for two with these quad releases. Now that the bar has been set, let's hope Rhino keeps going with this stuff. At least while we're all still around! ;)

Mine showed up in the mail today. Very nice!! 3 Discs in a tri-fold cardboard type CD pack. Discs came out easily, but they didn't fall out, which is good!

Started with the BluRay, and ForagingRhino was right, the bass kicks butt, at least on my house system. I didn't break out the AF SACD to compare, but this thing sounds clean, mean, and serene!! :)

And a great value. For half of what Universal charged for their BluRay Audio's, you get this BluRay, and two CDs full of great stuff I have yet to listen to, but am looking forward to - as I haven't really heard the singles versions of these tunes in decades. As for 'Best of the Doors', well having the AF SACD come out last year, or was it 2 years ago, steals a bit of the thunder from this release, but I can tell you that the BluRay sounds freakin' amazing, so it's well worth the $20 or less to get this release even if you got the SACD. Since the album tracks were never native DSD, this disc is probably more pure than the SACD, but I'm not getting into that vortex at this point! :confused:

So far, ForagingRhino is a very big two for two with these quad releases. Now that the bar has been set, let's hope Rhino keeps going with this stuff. At least while we're all still around! ;)

It makes one wonder whether the Majors are granting the reissue companies the best QUAD masters to work from or if [in conspiracy theory fashion] they're saving the BEST [or first generations] for themselves. Seems AF couldn't find the QUAD masters for Lotus following an intensive search but only a few months later SONY Japan pulled them out of a hat adding a third SACD [and IMO, sounding way better than the AF Stereo SACD] and the domestic Jeff Beck QUADs, as well, were bettered by the SONY Japan QUAD SACDs. And now the Doors........

I'll be especially anxious to hear for myself how the newly~minted SONY Japan 5.1 reissue of Tapestry sounds utilizing the Horus Pyramix system and if it will indeed not only better the 00 SONY SACD and the recent HK SACD version or will we be seduced instead by the elaborate 7" Packaging?

Hmmmmm! The plot THICKENS!

Whoa... No, SACD/DSD will never have an 88.2kHz sampling rate. The only sampling rate for SACD—and the lowest for any commercially released DSD—is 2.8224MHz, or 64x that of CD Digital Audio (44.1kHz). However, DSD has a bit depth of only 1-bit, and is encoded as sigma-delta pulse width modulation rather than the ubiquitous pulse code modulation (PCM) encoding found on all other disc formats (CDDA, DVD-V, DVD-A, Blu-ray). Because of this difference, DSD is not directly comparable to PCM. When converting DSD to PCM, binary integer division is often used to arrive at a PCM sample rate (binary multiples of 44.1kHz), and because 2.8224MHz DSD offers frequency response up to approximately 50kHz, 88.2kHz is often used to capture most of that (up to 44.1kHz). Perhaps that's where your confusion comes from?

you got me there

^What he said

Back