The Doors - The Singles (2CD/4.0 Blu-Ray set) coming soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and the domestic Jeff Beck QUADs, as well, were bettered by the SONY Japan QUAD SACDs.

Hmmmmm! The plot THICKENS!

There was only one AF domestic Jeff Beck quad, and I did not hear that it was bettered by the Japan reissue. I heard nothing of the sort but perhaps I need to read up on the reviews on that one. No, but perhaps there was an issue that the quad tapes for "Wired" were not found (by AF) to be usable, but Sony Japan found a master or copy that they found was usable. But you don't mention this.

Maybe all this has you confused? Lol

Wow just wow! This is a ten. The bluray sounds great I do notice more bass. I am really impressed with the clarity and I am also referring to the cds.
I'm on cd 2 and these post Morrison songs are new to me. The sound quality is amazing. Tightrope Ride is a great song.
If Jim had sung this one it would be well known.
I'm now listening to the mono radio edits....can't wait to listen to cd1 with the familiar songs.
No reason for anyone not to buy this collection.
Rhino strikes a home run again.

I agree with pretty much all that has been said.
If you like the Doors and amazing, vintage Quadraphonic mixes, then there is NO reason not to buy this collection.
2 CDs full of Doors music and the fantastic "Best of the Doors" Quadraphonic mix on (very) high-res Blu-Ray audio for around $20 or less, a much better deal than the Audio Fidelity SACD from two years ago.

If Rhino can keep this up and produce Blu-Ray Audio discs of the four Doobie Brothers' Quadraphonic mixes next year, I will be a very happy camper! (Plus "Billion Dollar Babies" by Alice Cooper should also be considered for release next year for its 45th anniversary.)

:)

Tightrope Ride is a great song.

I was listening to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doors:_Box_Set

and Disc 3 has an awesome rendition of Tightrope Ride with John Sebastian

I thought I heard the name John Sebastian somewhere so I googled it and it turns out he composed my favorite childhood song "Welcome back, Kotter"

Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Back here where we need ya (Back here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've got him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

and then John Travolta went on to become the biggest D-Bag Scientologist of all time.

Save me Leah Remini, Save me from "Vinnie" Barbarino

although I did like John in the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123

There was only one AF domestic Jeff Beck quad, and I did not hear that it was bettered by the Japan reissue. I heard nothing of the sort but perhaps I need to read up on the reviews on that one. No, but perhaps there was an issue that the quad tapes for "Wired" were not found (by AF) to be usable, but Sony Japan found a master or copy that they found was usable. But you don't mention this.

Maybe all this has you confused? Lol

I think my issue primarily pertains to an industry which over the years has had serious 'bookkeeping' issues and how do we really know that what they consider the absolute masters are indeed absolute? And you're correct about the WIRED QUADs. The ones provided to AP were unusable but SONY Japan managed to locate them for an 'elaborately' packaged Japanese QUAD release.

Last edited:
Mine arrived today. Listened to the blu ray and my first thought was that it sounded better than the AF version of this quad from a couple of years ago which I listened to only a couple of times. I will listen to this a lot more, it really sounds a lot more alive.

I agree with pretty much all that has been said.
If you like the Doors and amazing, vintage Quadraphonic mixes, then there is NO reason not to buy this collection.
2 CDs full of Doors music and the fantastic "Best of the Doors" Quadraphonic mix on (very) high-res Blu-Ray audio for around $20 or less, a much better deal than the Audio Fidelity SACD from two years ago.

If Rhino can keep this up and produce Blu-Ray Audio discs of the four Doobie Brothers' Quadraphonic mixes next year, I will be a very happy camper! (Plus "Billion Dollar Babies" by Alice Cooper should also be considered for release next year for its 45th anniversary.)

:)

Are there Rhino credits on this package - as I assumed it was a Doors management and Doors producers / band members project. Like Rhino had little to do with it other than clearances and printing / pressing matters.

Are there Rhino credits on this package - as I assumed it was a Doors management and Doors producers / band members project. Like Rhino had little to do with it other than clearances and printing / pressing matters.

Mine says Rhino on the back and spine of the package. What other types of credits might you mean?

Executive Producers: Bruce Botnick & Jeffrey Jampol
Compilation by Bruce Botnick & Steve Woolard
Product Manager: Liuba Shapiro Ruiz
Remastered by Bruce Botnick
Blu-Ray Authoring: Craig Anderson at Craigman Digital
Project Supervision: Shannon Ward
Project Assistance: Reggie Collins & Amanda Smith
Special Thanks: Roberto Colonna & Simone Giuseppin

Executive Producers: Bruce Botnick & Jeffrey Jampol
Compilation by Bruce Botnick & Steve Woolard
Product Manager: Liuba Shapiro Ruiz
Remastered by Bruce Botnick
Blu-Ray Authoring: Craig Anderson at Craigman Digital
Project Supervision: Shannon Ward
Project Assistance: Reggie Collins & Amanda Smith
Special Thanks: Roberto Colonna & Simone Giuseppin

Ryan - other than Botnick, have you heard of any of those names?

Ryan - other than Botnick, have you heard of any of those names?

Jeffrey Jampol is the current Doors manager.
Steve Woolard is our 'ForagingRhino', who was also the producer of the Chicago Quadio box set.
Craig Anderson was also the one who authored the recent Chicago Quadio box set.

That's all I have for now.

Jeffrey Jampol is the current Doors manager.
Steve Woolard is our 'ForagingRhino', who was also the producer of the Chicago Quadio box set.
Craig Anderson was also the one who authored the recent Chicago Quadio box set.

That's all I have for now.

Ah, yes. I knew his name was Steve, didn't know his last name. Cool!

Dear Mr Foraging Rhino-

Maximum respect to you and the team for this excellent quad bonus. :worthy
I will buy anything and everything Rhino can put out in this price range.:upthumb

I only bought this for the blu-ray surround.
I listened to the CDs once, and will seldom revisit them.

I hope stereo Doors fans try the blu-ray on a home theater system, hear the difference, and catch surround fever.

Well done.

:51banana:

Super great release. I have listened to all 3 discs. I expected the BD to be great and it is. What I was really surprised with is how great the two CD's are in there layout order and sonic quality. Liner notes are basic and good enough, factual studio musician stuff.

I was going to skip this, already owning Perception and the sacd, but the comments and the price have convinced me to take the plunge.

I was going to skip this, already owning Perception and the sacd, but the comments and the price have convinced me to take the plunge.

Get it! The blue-ray is phenomenal, and the other 2 cds are great as well, with lots of mono mixes.

This 3 disc set is one of the best deals of the year!

The BluRay quad has a different mastering from the AF.
I'm curious to hear your reactions.

I like the bass better on the BD, FWIW.

Okay! The verdict is in.

Originally, I pre-ordered this set via Amazon but soon canceled that and ordered via Best Buy for $3.00 more thinking that I may get it a day or two early from the release date because that is what I find with most of the new released movies delivered by them. I was wrong. Best Buy shipped it on Monday, I got excited but then noticed they shipped via UPS Ground from Kentucky to California. So, needless to say, my copy didn't arrive until yesterday (originally scheduled release day). I'm sure this makes the label happy, but not me. I could have saved that $3.00 and just ordered via my Amazon Prime account. Lesson learned.

I've only spun the BD last night but did compare it to the AF release. As promised, the bass (or, low end) is more prominent in the mix. This BD only features DTS-HD Master Audio. Normally, when given the choice, I much prefer to listen with Dolby or regular PCM with the latter being preferred. Overall, I find the Rhino BD more listenable but the AF version has a smoother more realistic sound. Especially, with JM's more holographic vocals. This is with a preliminary listen. More to come when I get more listening sessions in but, so far, I really like and happy I purchased this release. :)

Like many, I prefer the Blu-Ray. It has better bass and apparent improved clarity.

To quantify what I was hearing, I used Audacity to compare the frequency content of Riders on the Storm. The graph below is a normalized composite with results from each format. Audacity doesn't provide this comparison directly.

The plot explains at least some of the audible differences. Observe the additional low and high frequency content in the Blu-Ray, relative to the SACD.

There may be other factors at play (sample rate for example), but this frequency content difference is big.

Spectrum-_Compare.jpg

pretty much what I'm hearing (definately more low end <500Hz on the blu) but I would have thought the purple SCAD would have taken over at the 500Hz - 20000Hz zone because riders (on the SACD) definitely has some high notes that the blu doesn't capture

you say the tracks are resampled at 96kHz, not sure how you went about it but could this account for the differences I'm hearing?

96kHz is definitely not 88.2kHz

Back