The Mancini Century

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mancini was a musical genius!! I got to see him in the mid 70's conducting the Nashville Symphony...He wrote and arranged so many great songs its hard to grasp it all....I was lucky to have a small interaction with his son Chris (who played keyboards on a few of his dads albums) and I bought his dads remaining quadradiscs...Thanks humprof for posting this!!

QQ'ers can celebrate (or bend the knee) by surrounding themselves with Hank, mostly thanks to Dutton-Vocalion:
And don't forget the DV twofer of The Return Of The Pink Panther and Symphonic Soul.

African Symphony, Peter Gun (new version) and The Pink Panther Theme are worth the price of admission alone.

I bought so dang many Henry Mancini albums as a young teenager, and saw most of the films for which he did soundtracks: The Great Race, Hatari, Charade, Arabesque, The Pink Panther, Breakfast at Tiffany's to name a few. Also glued to the black and white TV for all the Peter Gunn episodes, with Mancini's jazzy theme song that rivals the James Bond Theme.

The Retro Cocktail Hour aired a fine "All Mancini" tribute show last Saturday.

All hail Mancini!

Last edited:
Thankfully, being a huge Hank Mancini fan, I have ALL of D~V's spectacular QUAD SACD remasters replacing some of my dolby surround CD versions [NO contest there ...QUAD SACD RULES!].

Been spinning them on my new system and since Michael J Dutton has scrupulously remastered them from the original analogue masters, every nuance has been captured brilliantly.

And in my humble opinion, no one TODAY writes melodies for films like Mancini did!

And don't forget to add this gorgeous Multi~CH SACD from Concord Records to your collection

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=2312

51aNP2Wq-xL.jpg

Dude wrote "Moon River". That would be enough for any song writer to be considered top of the line. Start there, then look at all the other tunes he wrote. Unimaginable that one guy could write such diverse and amazing tunes that have become part of our heritage. He cannot get enough credit in my book.

Dude wrote "Moon River". That would be enough for any song writer to be considered top of the line. Start there, then look at all the other tunes he wrote. Unimaginable that one guy could write such diverse and amazing tunes that have become part of our heritage. He cannot get enough credit in my book.
Not to mention the hauntingly beautiful SOLDIER IN THE RAIN sung by his daughter, Monica

The last of three short Substack posts today by jazz pianist Ethan Iverson links to a YouTube video--er, audio--of Mancini's truly wonderful 1985 appearance on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz. (This at a moment when, writes Iverson, Mancini had "just finished scoring The Thorn Birds, and also had four themes running on regular TV shows, Hotel, Newhart, Ripley's Believe It or Not!, and Remington Steele.")

https://iverson.substack.com/p/tt-394-henry-mancini-and-marian-mcpartland

Last edited:
The last of three short Substack posts today by jazz pianist Ethan Iverson links to a YouTube video--er, audio--of Mancini's truly wonderful 1985 appearance on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz. (This at a moment when, writes Iverson, when Mancini had "just finished scoring The Thorn Birds, and also had four themes running on regular TV shows, Hotel, Newhart, Ripley's Believe It or Not!, and Remington Steele.")

https://iverson.substack.com/p/tt-394-henry-mancini-and-marian-mcpartland
There is 1 Mancini LP in Quad that has not been on SACD or any other surround format. The Great Waldo Pepper CD4

Back