The Megadeth DVD-A is in my hand!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danzigdan

After a quick listen (at low volume) it's pretty good. A lot like the other titles by DTS. It's very nice that they included the 5.1 mix on the two videos too.

Great! I've been looking forward to this one for a long time now. "Peace Sells" is a great album but my fave Megadeth album is their first one. I hope they go back and release that one in surround as well.

danzigdan said:
After a quick listen (at low volume) it's pretty good. A lot like the other titles by DTS. It's very nice that they included the 5.1 mix on the two videos too.

Shut up! I am still waiting for my copy! GRRRRRR :mad:

But I guess I can give it few days more! :sun

I've been listening to Peace Sells since 1986 and must say that listening to the DVD-A is like listening to a new album. There were many spots where I was hearing things that I don't remember hearing before. Guitar and vocal effects, base lines, guitar lines, and some drums. While I doubt that Killing is my business will show up on DVD-A any time soon(Loud Records), there is hope for Megadeth's Capital records releases since DTS has an agreement with Capital and Mustaine seems very happy with the 5.1. One thing that I should mention is that I did have an issue with My last Words(chapter skip with 10 or so seconds left and it stopped dead in it's track 1 out of 2 times) and I haven't been able to get the DTS Devil's Island mixdown tracks to play.

Hi people,
I ordered on cduniverse.com my copie of megadeth but the last post makes me nervous 'cause I already have COC Americas Volume dealers and that dvd-a does not work properly and it seems that some of the music is not on the disc and it skips alot (it as nothing to do with my dvd-a player cause I payed 1500 US for the mofo.

dario

After a few listens, all-in-all it's not a bad disc. It's not as discreet as some discs (discreet meaning many instruments or vocals only come from surrounds or a particular area in the sound field.) This mix tends to completely surround you--especially the drums. Some of the rhythm guitars are discreet to different speakers at times however.

I play my discs on a Toshiba non-DVD Audio player and I had no problem accessing the "Devils Island" mixdown track. The bass/drums only track is kinda cool. Play along if you know the chords! :cool:

Things I don't care for: I wish they had solidly placed Dave Mustaine's voice in the center channel along with the front speakers. Instead they kind of spead him a bit thin over the center and the fronts--a bit in the surrounds too if I remember correctly. There's a little of everything in the center channel too which makes me wonder, what's the point? Because of this Dave's voice gives me the feeling it's not as loud as it should be, and it becomes a bit distant at times with too much reverb. A minor complaint though. I think I would have really put the two guitar players guitar solos exclusively in different areas of the sound field instead of all around. That's just a personal preference.

What I do really like: The two video extras are available in 5.1! And they sound great! Anyone own Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" with the real low-fi stereo-only video mix? What was the point of that??!!!

I need to listen more. More observations later.

danzigdan said:

With my Pioneer 563 player I couldnt get the videos to play in DTS or stereo through my digital input. They play in surround and stereo through the multichannel inputs but not digital. My Queen "Night At The Opera" disc plays Bohemian Rhapsody through the digital in and lights up the DTS light so I wonder if it is an authoring error.

Otherwise, this disc kicks ass!! (y)

Back