The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the post. I think his use of exposed was a great choice for Thr Hurting. I was near the center while spinning it the other day and the vocals were exposed .. both as alone in the center and emotionally charged with the music being distant at that point.
Still wish, but understand why he can't, that there was a SDE subscription model.

"the series compromises..."

Think "comprises" is the word you were looking for. ;) Great interview.

Interesting that Paul downplays his involvement with the TFF sets, since he did more than just the notes/interviews. The Hurting says "Track listing: Steve Hammonds and Paul Sinclair", and I think it was the same for the other two.

He nails why HFPA didn't catch on at the time, and it was probably very obvious to him even then.

"Really, everyone’s seen the explosion of all these different physical formats in recent years: multiple colored vinyls, cassettes, etc. With Blu-Ray, at least you’re genuinely bringing something new to the marketplace. It’s a completely different way to experience an album, rather than just a collectible to put on the shelf."

Very good point.

He nails why HFPA didn't catch on at the time, and it was probably very obvious to him even then.
I bought the HFPA I wanted, but remember thinking at the time it was doomed to failure because of the approach they were taking. The world needed another DVD-A / SACD style push for a new mainstream format like it needed a hole in the head.

I say, Blu Ray delivery of music is here to stay. At least it better until I croak.
Yeah, I rip my music to .iso and listen. But if for no one else but me I still like looking at those racks of discs...even if I don't pick some up for years, or never again.
Of course I'm all in for IAA Atmos downloads as well. Some 5.1 Bandcamp too! Those will stay in the digital world and will be just as enjoyed as the disc rips.

I don't quite get Sinclair's logic on Tori Amos Ocean to Ocean. When is it ever too late? ;)
I thought he basically answered that with this quote:
The problem with going after older titles is that it’s a hassle for the record companies in terms of promotion. They’re probably not going to start the whole PR engine just to push my Blu-Ray release. We’ll just have to see what happens though, because I know that’s something people are interested in.
Like I said in the interview, the Def Leppard album marks the first time they're backtracking to cover an older title--so who's to say they won't end up eventually doing the Tori Amos album?

Back