"Tommy" DVD-A out 12/9/03

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texquad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I just happened to get a copy of the new Universal Music Re-Issue Release Schedule dated 8/22/03. It lists The Who's "Tommy" DVD-A as being released on 12/9/03.

texquad said:
I just happened to get a copy of the new Universal Music Re-Issue Release Schedule dated 8/22/03. It lists The Who's "Tommy" DVD-A as being released on 12/9/03.

Absolutely fricken awesome! It's going to be a great Christmas season if this date holds. Imagine that...finally a DVD-A from my favorite all time band!

I've been getting rather tired of seeing all these releases from folks I've never heard of. It's been my modus operandi to log onto www.cduniverse.com to listen to tracks from the CD versions of upcoming DVD-A releases, and man have there been a lot of disappointments in what's being released.

R8der

Me thinks it's much harder to secure the access, cooperation & time of the major talents for DVD-A releases yet, whilst the minor players know there is a window of time where audio enthusiasts will buy their product to feed whatever.

In a level playing field of availability, they wouldn't sell much in any format.

timbre4 said:
Me thinks it's much harder to secure the access, cooperation & time of the major talents for DVD-A releases yet, whilst the minor players know there is a window of time where audio enthusiasts will buy their product to feed whatever.

In a level playing field of availability, they wouldn't sell much in any format.

Good point Timbre. I read the bit of info from the guy mixing Tusk and how the band couldn't be bothered with the production of the DVD-A....and that's very disappointing to hear. You'd think the chance to have their works heard for the first time in a new format might excite these guys/gals, but I guess many of them are past excitement muscially. Most of them are just running through the paces now.

This sitting and waiting and getting excited about one disc thats months away reminds of the early days of CD. I bought one of the very first CD players and endured the same drought of releases for a couple of years. Back then I ended up buying CD's I ordinarily wouldn't have given a second look simply to add another CD to my collection.

Perhaps the saving grace in this is that DVD-A will eventually become as widespread as CD is now? Nah.....the Joe Six Pack crowd will never fully accept high-rez 5.1 music...will they? More likely it will end up about as popular as laserdisc was....or wasn't as the case may be.

R8der

R8der said:
Perhaps the saving grace in this is that DVD-A will eventually become as widespread as CD is now? Nah.....the Joe Six Pack crowd will never fully accept high-rez 5.1 music...will they?
Well, the one advantage DVD-A has over previous technologies (like Quad) and even over SACD is that it can be used on systems that a lot of people already own, or are probably going to buy in the near future - i.e., home theater surround systems. Granted, most people aren't going to splurge to buy DVD-A or SACD compatible equipment, so they won't be able to take advantage of the hi-rez aspect, but since DVD-A can be played on just a "regular" surround system, people can still buy the discs and enjoy true surround mixes without having to buy special equipment (unlike SACD). So there's hope yet.

Back