Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe (5.1 Mix & Other versions)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
correct, this is the 3rd version.
A third version?!!! LOL! Well, at least Neil gave those who ordered from him a free month of Waterfall due to delays in shipping. I'll have a chance to stream both the 60 and 90 minute versions and get familiar with them while I'm waiting for the blu-ray. Then I can decide if I need anything more than the Blu-ray, when it finally comes.

Probably why it isn't listed at Radiant anymore. Great that the made them at our request, but they were not kidding about limited.

So the Blu ray release was something that was asked for after the formats were announced (it previously was a box set exclusive) and it was a release limited to Inside Out, Radiant (Neal’s store) and Racket (Pete’s). Any decision to produce more is the label’s decsion so I would say snap it up when you can. The 5.1 mix is very enjoyable - IMO it’s very tasteful - by that I mean it blends making use of the speaker range to respect the arrangement .. while on occasion having a bit of fun! And the video visualiser is a great accompaniment.

Hopefully they will print more stand alone Blu-ray copies, clearly there is demand. I didn't secure a copy either, and have no interest in the bloated over priced super deluxe box.
No idea. But “over priced”? 5 vinyl albums, 3 CDs booklets posted and a blu ray for $99. Same price as 3CDs and a blu ray from Steven Wilson. In my opinion the TA5 box set is a bargain compared to the market.

Sorry off topic but I would love to hear your thoughts on the "With Friends from the Orchestra" studio album 5.1 mix on the "St David's" Marillion bluray
I've listened now to the Marillion studio 5.1. It's a nice album and a nice mix. It sounds to me like there's a lot of discrete instrumentation in the rear speakers, more than in Mike Hunter's other 5.1 mixes. The rears are a little on the quiet side, but it's there. It's enjoyable to me too having Steve Hogarth's wonderful vocals isolated in the centre speaker (y)

Man, I just discovered this album and I'm loving it (on Apple Music, ha ha, so not the greatest resolution)... I wish the 5.1 wasn't locked up in a Super Deluxe set... maybe a stand alone will be released someday

I've listened now to the Marillion studio 5.1. It's a nice album and a nice mix. It sounds to me like there's a lot of discrete instrumentation in the rear speakers, more than in Mike Hunter's other 5.1 mixes. The rears are a little on the quiet side, but it's there. It's enjoyable to me too having Steve Hogarth's wonderful vocals isolated in the centre speaker (y)
I agree that it’s a better than expected mix. Wonderful fidelity too @ 24/96 DTS HD MA. The strings are of course a nice feature and fill the rears as one would hope. I’m on the fence about Hogarth’s vocals though - I agree that his vocals can be effective, and maybe it’s just the center position - I do think at times his vocals can overwhelm the proceedings but I find this quite enjoyable nonetheless.

16128205624094736655190190289856.jpg

OH YES! The stand alone Bluray just arrived! Can't wait to hear it!

Mine arrived today. USPS, why did it take a week to get from TN to NY? This is my first exposure to Transatlantic. WOW, that was a long album. I enjoyed it and will come back for future listens, but ~100 minutes may belie Mike's more is never enough comments. I was disappointed that the stand alone blu-ray didn't have much in the way of liner notes. I won't knock them for it since they released the stand alone blu-ray, which is pretty packed with 2 5.1 mixes, a stereo mix and an hour plus documentary. In the spirit of Mike's more is not enough, I would have loved the blu-ray to have seamless branching version of all three versions.

Mine arrived today. USPS, why did it take a week to get from TN to NY? This is my first exposure to Transatlantic. WOW, that was a long album. I enjoyed it and will come back for future listens, but ~100 minutes may belie Mike's more is never enough comments. I was disappointed that the stand alone blu-ray didn't have much in the way of liner notes. I won't knock them for it since they released the stand alone blu-ray, which is pretty packed with 2 5.1 mixes, a stereo mix and an hour plus documentary. In the spirit of Mike's more is not enough, I would have loved the blu-ray to have seamless branching version of all three versions.

Did you order yours from Radiant? I haven't heard anything from them since Feb 08 saying they hadn't received them yet.

I wasn't going to get this until they announced the stand-alone BluRay. So fingers-crossed.

Back