Turntable question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a nice table. The TEAC was also a very nice, solid table. Unfortunate the one I had...had issues. Oddly, the TEAC is showing up as a top seller at various sites...so either mine was a lemon, or everyone will find out that theirs is flawed as well.

I notice the belt was tighter on the TEAC compared to how it feels on the Pro-Ject. But, the proof is in the pudding. Once my son leaves (he's working from home and on a meeting call) I will fire it up and see how it goes. :)

With all that time you have on your hands now.... you will be able to really have some fun with that table...

Uh, yes...and also buy more albums...

Uh huh.. and then come on over to the dark side and get a Surround Master so you can start decoding all those lovely old Quad records with us!

I'm sure you can get Johnny Mathis SQ vinyl in much better condition there in Illinois than I can back here in old Blighty..! ;) ;)

It's a nice table. The TEAC was also a very nice, solid table. Unfortunate the one I had...had issues. Oddly, the TEAC is showing up as a top seller at various sites...so either mine was a lemon, or everyone will find out that theirs is flawed as well.

I notice the belt was tighter on the TEAC compared to how it feels on the Pro-Ject. But, the proof is in the pudding. Once my son leaves (he's working from home and on a meeting call) I will fire it up and see how it goes. :)

fwiw the belt was loose/kinda slack on my Pro-Ject from day one.. its never slipped off once (would be embarrassing anyway wouldn't it, the record playing equivalent of one's trousers/pants falling down if the belt is too loose or even worse! Ha.. :ugham: )

Well, bummer in GOS land. The main difference between this table and last one is that the Pro-ject doesn't have it's own amplifier. But, I have dedicated phono inputs on my Denon. Regardless, first play, it's super distorted. Sort of like when you have 2 speaker wires touching.....why do I feel like it has something to do with not having an amplifier built into the table???

What could it be?

OK, here we go....

I have to say, the platter is way, way heavier than the TEAC I had....unreal. :)

View attachment 23851View attachment 23852

I am living vicariously through your pics! How exciting!

Oh..! I see they are now bundling the Debut with the Ortofon OM10 these days (better than the OM5 that came with mine.. and you can easily upgrade the stylus to something superior like an OM20 or whatever down the line..). Very nice.. :)

Well, bummer in GOS land. The main difference between this table and last one is that the Pro-ject doesn't have it's own amplifier. But, I have dedicated phono inputs on my Denon. Regardless, first play, it's super distorted. Sort of like when you have 2 speaker wires touching.....why do I feel like it has something to do with not having an amplifier built into the table???

What could it be?

Disconnect from the Phono input and try plugging it into a Line level source input instead.. (like Aux, Tape In or CD...)..? ;)

Check out the tech spec on your TT..? :)

http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/en/pdf/debutcarbonphonousbdc.pdf

• Integrated Phono-MM preamplifier

Adam - you're an EFFING man....I totally swore that this table did NOT have it's own amp.....huh? Yeah, I plugged into Aux 1 and it sounds fine.

Swoo! I was about to go ballistic. :)

Adam - you're an EFFING man....I totally swore that this table did NOT have it's own amp.....huh? Yeah, I plugged into Aux 1 and it sounds fine.

Phew! Couldn't stand another meltdown....or GOS going all:banana:s on me!

BTW, some phono inputs have a choice of either accepting MM (Moving Magnet) or MC (moving coil) inputs. Check the rear of your Denon and see if there's a switch and match it to the impedance of your particular cartridge or consult the Denon's owner manual for phono inputs.

Phew! Couldn't stand another meltdown....or GOS going all:banana: on me!

BTW, some phono inputs have a choice of either accepting MM (Moving Magnet) or MC (moving coil) inputs. Check the rear of your Denon and see if there's a switch and match it to the impedance of your particular cartridge or consult the Denon's owner manual for phono inputs.

hahahahaha...no doubt. Believe me...I was about to have a meltdown. Wow!

Yeay! :wave

(It sure does, the giveaway is the "USB" bit, the TT needs an internal preamp to be able to stream the signal to your PC in that way.. I don't know if there is anyway to bypass it, I imagine not simply/easily, like with the flick of a switch..!?)

I'm new to all that SQ LP decoding pallava but I've had turntables my whole life (I did admittedly fall out of love with vinyl for the longest time though.. through my mid-20's and 30's.. but I'd already gone through about a dozen "toytown" tables long before I hit double digits and had my first 'proper' turntable aged 8.. and I am now in love with vinyl more than ever!) ...so I may just be able to help you out with any setup basics you might have.. once it gets down to the real techno nitty gritty I will defer it all to others here who are much more knowledgeable on such matters.. if there's one thing I do know its my limitations! :D

Phew! Couldn't stand another meltdown....or GOS going all:banana:s on me!

If its an AVR it'll be MM all the way, I reckon.. Denon do some very nice high output moving coil carts that play well with an MM phono stage fwiw.

You took a picture of the goddamn UPS TRUCK!!!

I can't stop laughing at this!!

Oh, man... That was awesome.

-- Jim, wiping away tears

Dude - you don't know how much I was waiting on this....I even debated taking a picture of the UPS man handing it off...but figured that was a bit too far. lmao

...the giveaway is the "USB" bit, the TT needs an internal preamp to be able to stream the signal to your PC in that way...

Wow, built-in phono pre and USB? That's pretty koooo. :)

[EDIT] Since the table/ tonearm/ cartridge characteristics are all known quantities with a product like this, it would theoretically allow a manufacturer, if they were so inclined, to tweak the EQ curve of the built-in preamp for maximally flat response at the line-level output. Dunno if this is the case with yours GOS, but it's a possible explanation for the better sound compared to the TEAC? Whatever the case, glad you're diggin' it!

-- Jim

OK, so, this table sounds quite a bit better than my other one. So clean with lots of detail. Maybe the cartridge? Who knows....excellent.

It'll probably be the combination of cart, stylus, preamp, the whole kit and caboodle should be pretty well judged to gel harmoniously (and be a doddle to setup, mine was all those years ago, very much plug and play at the time).. for no frills budget TTs there's a reason the Pro-Ject's are kinda ubiquitous over here (they were winning WHF awards for best cheap TTs when I got mine all those yrs ago.. they're still winning awards now.. and they haven't changed a huge deal in that time, refined now yes but still basic and solid) Can you better them? Yes. Sound for Pound? You'd be hard pushed unless you go second hand on something and then there are no guarantees you won't get a pig in a poke.. :eek: )

Happy Christmas! (If we don't hear from you much for a bit, we'll know you'll be waist deep in virgin vinyl with nothing but your Pro-Ject for company..! :p )

OK you guys....so I just put on Black Sabbath first LP.....Whoa......I've absolutely NEVER heard this music sound this clear. What the heck? Some of the reviews of this exact disc were not so stellar....but I promise you...this LP sounds way, way better and more clear and punchy than any version I've ever heard..

Back