Turntable question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude - you don't know how much I was waiting on this....I even debated taking a picture of the UPS man handing it off...but figured that was a bit too far. lmao

I hope you gave the UPS delivery man a healthy tip and a manly hug for his undying diligence.

Better than having one of those Amazon "drones" dropping the damn thing on your head:confused:

Listening to Paranoid now....wow oh wow. Have I ever heard this sound any better? Nope....so crisp and punchy with lots of "width" of soundstage. Nice.

I hope you gave the UPS delivery man a healthy tip and a manly hug for his undying diligence.

Better than having one of those Amazon "drones" dropping the damn thing on your head:confused:

They (Amazon) are hoping to introduce the drones to this country.. I reckon the Government will knock em back unless there's (as Clint here might say) "an offer they can't refuse" on the table (and a few brown paper envelopes passing hands "behind closed doors", as Charlie Rich might've said were he still with us..)... can you imagine the drones hovering over the rooftops of our little British two-up-two-down's, dodging TV aerials, not to mention the Englishman's proverbial back garden which is ordinarily festooned with washing lines and/or cluttered with part-collapsed paddling pool full of murky cold old water and miscellaneous seldom used patio detritus (the weather is not on our side, you see!!) :yikes ..that kind of thing might work in 'wide open country' with sunnier climes but not this grey old little old jolly old cold old island..! :eek:

Listening to Paranoid now....wow oh wow. Have I ever heard this sound any better? Nope....so crisp and punchy with lots of "width" of soundstage. Nice.

Niiiiiice....! :banana:

Wait until you play an SQ LP on your new turntable..!!! ;) ;)

The width of soundstage across the front when you play those puppies in just 2-channels is quite something! :music

Go on... you know you want to..!! :p

They (Amazon) are hoping to introduce the drones to this country.. I reckon the Government will knock em back unless there's (as Clint here might say) "an offer they can't refuse" on the table (and a few brown paper envelopes passing hands "behind closed doors", as Charlie Rich might've said were he still with us..)... can you imagine the drones hovering over the rooftops of our little British two-up-two-down's, dodging TV aerials, not to mention the Englishman's proverbial back garden which is ordinarily festooned with washing lines and/or cluttered with part-collapsed paddling pool full of murky cold old water and miscellaneous seldom used patio detritus (the weather is not on our side, you see!!) :yikes ..that kind of thing might work in 'wide open country' with sunnier climes but not this grey old little old jolly old cold old island..! :eek:

Adam, if that EVER happened they'd be shooting those damn things out of the sky for target practice. And a drone malfunction could end up hurting someone on the ground causing serious injury.

Imagine if we had flying cars? People can't drive as it is on TERRA FIRMA. Who needs anything else falling out of the sky.......except, of course, Pennies from Heaven! :bounce17

Hee - listening to Sabatoge now.....such an awesome bit of disc.
Okay GOS, now you're killing me, Black Sabbath and all. You have me thinking about making rearrangements to my less than ideal listening room for vinyl. Yes, you're killing me.

And, there IS an art to properly cleaning these older albums....

I purchased a "mint" used copy of Dream Weaver and it was a little crackly last time I played..today, I gave it a better clean and it sounds perfect. :) :)

Some interesting stuff on the back of the album cover...check out the comment about Ronnie Montrose...

Gary Wright back.jpg

And, there IS an art to properly cleaning these older albums....

I purchased a "mint" used copy of Dream Weaver and it was a little crackly last time I played..today, I gave it a better clean and it sounds perfect. :) :)

Yes indeed! :upthumb
Though imho some records are beyond hope..!

I do have a little tip for crackles.. it has helped me with one or two thrift store finds since I embarked upon the SQ/Surround Master folly.. for the kind of condition of record I would never normally have tolerated in straight stereo back when I was regularly buying LPs..

What's the handy hint, I hear you cry?

PLAY THEM WET..!!! :yikes

..it'll (anecdotally) bugger the records for regular play forever more (allegedly) since (supposedly) the crud or whatever is embedded in there turns to veritable microscopic chunks of concrete as the stylus heats the vinyl upon playback and with the addition of water into the process "cooks" the tiny specks and other detritus embedded in the grooves (!!).... but do n't be deterred altogether, you'll be amazed how wet playing the worst offenders can in my experience eliminate some seriously bad crackles that regular cleaning - serious cleaning even - cannot seemingly shift.

DISCLAIMER: I would suggest only trying it on particularly bad records that you don't care if you'll ever play more than once simply to transfer to the computer and then you'll have a backup of that unique mix/mastering etc rather than a disc for repeated regular "live" play from the turnable down the line..

I think I only had a problem with a record liming up (hard water where I am.)

Back