Tweets from Andy P. re: Oranges and Lemons

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone, I have an idea!

The reason that Andy is opposed to offering DVDA is most likely down to manufacturing costs vs profits of discs actually sold, but what if the DVDA could be offered to us as an ISO download from Burning Shed? Something that Neil creates that's ready to be burned to a dual-layer DVD and is completely compatible with both DVDA and DVDV players like the manufactured discs that have come before.

How about that?! Who here would buy one if it was reasonably priced? (Say around $15)

I think that's a terrific idea, but there would still be authoring costs involved, and lord knows what the royalty issues would be for such an arrangement!

I think that's a terrific idea, but there would still be authoring costs involved, and lord knows what the royalty issues would be for such an arrangement!

I don't know exactly what royalties would be like for this kind of situation, but I think that authoring costs could definitely be recouped with combines sales of the DVDA download and the CD/Blu-Ray set.

I think that authoring costs could definitely be recouped with combines sales of the DVDA download and the CD/Blu-Ray set.

But that's doesn't fix the issue. If the DVDA has to be subsidised by the BD then it is still making a loss in of itself.

I think the only way it could work is if you got a free DVD download with the BluRay. It could potentially result in additional sales, and avoids pressing and printing costs. Still they would have to author the disc but DVD-A is not expensive to author.

That sounds like a good compromise, yet gives those that need it a DVD. They might fear the copying factor?

Everyone, I have an idea!

The reason that Andy is opposed to offering DVDA is most likely down to manufacturing costs vs profits of discs actually sold, but what if the DVDA could be offered to us as an ISO download from Burning Shed? Something that Neil creates that's ready to be burned to a dual-layer DVD and is completely compatible with both DVDA and DVDV players like the manufactured discs that have come before.

How about that?! Who here would buy one if it was reasonably priced? (Say around $15)

I guess I would but more at ~$8-$12.

Last edited:
[..] what if the DVDA could be offered to us as an ISO download from Burning Shed?
I cannot imagine that happening. At best a lossless 5.1 audio file (flac), as there would be no real authoring involved. Even that seems harder than we think, the label has a say in such thing. If the BDA would ever go out of print ... just maybe (but don't hold your breath).

I'm not totally against high-res stereo and surround FLAC downloads, but a DVDA ISO is at least more user-friendly for those who would only purchase the downloads to make them into a disc themselves, which requires more work on the user's end.
Maybe if the FLAC downloads were offered with the CD/Blu-Ray set, like they did recently with the Tim Bowness album.

BTW, when I tweeted @Andy about the idea of a DVDA ISO download from Burning Shed, he said "He'll suggest", whatever that means.
I don't necessarily know how great of a shot it is that we'll get anything like that, but it's better than no DVDA at all, which is where we currently are.

I'm not totally against high-res stereo and surround FLAC downloads, but a DVDA ISO is at least more user-friendly for those who would only purchase the downloads to make them into a disc themselves, which requires more work on the user's end.
Maybe if the FLAC downloads were offered with the CD/Blu-Ray set, like they did recently with the Tim Bowness album.

I think this is the best idea yet.
Would be a win/win. Get the bluray with all its goodies and for those of us that want a dvda for the car(or home) then you download and burn it.
I think it would direct more orders towards Burning Shed which is good for the artist as if I am not mistaken I think Burning Shed have a better money arrangement with artists.

peter

Would it help to send emails to [email protected], or better yet, to Tim Bowness or Pete Morgan? Perhaps if enough of us reach out, they'll understand how much support there is for at least an ISO to purchase.

Would it help to send emails to [email protected], or better yet, to Tim Bowness or Pete Morgan? Perhaps if enough of us reach out, they'll understand how much support there is for at least an ISO to purchase.

[email protected] would be the best way to reach BS via email.
Also, if you're on Facebook or Twitter, you can post a message to them there. They are usually very good at responding to messages.
Hope that helps! :)

Hi guys,

In a way I understand your frustration but, and it is a big BUT, I guess you have to face the facts here:
- DVD-Audio is a format on its way out. Even if you manage to get this released to your liking, the next one will not be...
- Bluray offer the same sound quality, superior picture quality, superiour storage capacity etc - what's not to like with this format?

I am a physical record guy and do not know enough to comment on the download alternatives, but beside this I would recommend you to adapt to the times and add a Bluray player to your music equipment :couch

Hi guys,

In a way I understand your frustration but, and it is a big BUT, I guess you have to face the facts here:
- DVD-Audio is a format on its way out. Even if you manage to get this released to your liking, the next one will not be...
- Bluray offer the same sound quality, superior picture quality, superiour storage capacity etc - what's not to like with this format?

I am a physical record guy and do not know enough to comment on the download alternatives, but beside this I would recommend you to adapt to the times and add a Bluray player to your music equipment :couch

That's not what this is about (at least not for me it isn't) as I have had Blu-Ray since 2008.
It's mostly about having a DVDA disc for Acura cars (and others that support DVDA) as Blu-Ray hasn't made the jump there yet.

That's not what this is about (at least not for me it isn't) as I have had Blu-Ray since 2008.
It's mostly about having a DVDA disc for Acura cars (and others that support DVDA) as Blu-Ray hasn't made the jump there yet.

Indeed. It's not that I don't acknowledge that Blu-ray is the superior format, nor am I behind the times, it's the car audio systems that are behind! It would be great if car systems started supporting Blu-ray, but I can't imagine that happening. For one thing, it's too difficult to navigate a Blu-ray menu screen in a car, whereas DVD-A's are usually authored to begin playing their 5.1 layer by default when you load the disc.

I will say, if Burning Shed doesn't provide an option to download an ISO of a DVD-A of O&L, they are literally leaving money on the table. I for one would pay extra for that option, but if it is not supplied, I'll figure out how to do it myself from my Blu-ray.

The "ELS" audio system continues. Sadly DVDA capability has been dropped, starting with certain 2014 models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back