Tweets from Andy P. re: Oranges and Lemons

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It still amazes me how much content is put on these XTC discs. It is not without a reason they are called a virtual box set on a single disc.

Not many bands put out so much content when they celebrate an album, and even if they did, it would be a multi dics afgair for a highprice.

Thanks again for all involved for giving us these fine XTC discs :)

The CD/Blu-Ray edition of "Oranges & Lemons" is now available to preorder from Headphone Dust (Steven Wilson's store):

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headphonedust/xtc-oranges-and-lemons-cdblu-ray/

Also of note is this:

So to whomever was enquiring about a CD/DVDA edition of this album, looks like I was mistaken thinking it would be available like the others in this series.
This is just my personal opinion (obviously) but I think APE/Panegyric are making a HUGE mistake not offering this title on some sort of DVD format (DVD-A or DVD-V), making sure that the greatest number of people have access to the format they want, but hey, they don't ask me, so guess we just have to take this one as is...

Thanks Ryan for the link. When Fragile is available from Headphone Dust I will order them together. Did the same thing when the previous albums were released.

I've never ordered from the Steven Wilson Website. Do they ship to the US?

Yes they do. I ordered the DVD-A edition of "Drums & Wires" from them, and it arrived without any issue.
You're basically good to go no matter if you order from Headphone Dust or Burning Shed. :)

Please note that there will not be a CD/DVDA edition of this album.
Excellent idea. Not much demand for DVD. I've noticed at the local FYE that the recent ELP dvd-audio isn't moving at all and they have a good price on it. That's one that should have come out on Blu.

Last time around I bought both versions but the dvd-audio version wouldn't play on my machine... and I've got a 100 or so others that do play (or, well did, before the machine died altogether).

check out these trade-in values:

Rush ~ 2112 [CD/BR] [Deluxe Edition] [Digipak] CD Credit (8.25)
Rush ~ 2112 [Deluxe Edition] [CD/DVD] [Digipak] CD Credit (2.75)

Excellent idea. Not much demand for DVD. I've noticed at the local FYE that the recent ELP dvd-audio isn't moving at all and they have a good price on it. That's one that should have come out on Blu.

Last time around I bought both versions but the dvd-audio version wouldn't play on my machine... and I've got a 100 or so others that do play (or, well did, before the machine died altogether).

check out these trade-in values:

Rush ~ 2112 [CD/BR] [Deluxe Edition] [Digipak] CD Credit (8.25)
Rush ~ 2112 [Deluxe Edition] [CD/DVD] [Digipak] CD Credit (2.75)

Why is it such an excellent idea to not offer a DVD(A) version too?
Just because the last few DVD-As didn't play on your machine doesn't mean that a lot of others on here also have issues with them.

Plus many of us on here would prefer to have a ready-made DVDA copy for our DVDA players and car systems, rather than having to make one ourself from the Blu-Ray.
And you also have to keep in mind consumers who only have DVD and have not yet made the jump to Blu-Ray.

All in all, the great thing about the last batches of these XTC and Yes reissues was that they offered both DVDA and Blu-Ray, and WE (the consumer) got to decide which format(s) best suited our needs, and that's the way it should be.

Ha, I just saw that and wanted to come back and edit my comment, but you beat me to it ;)

Edit: ordered Oranges & Lemons and Fragile from Headphone Dust.nice to give Steven some extra profit for all his hard work.

I've just done the same, I'm really happy to support Steven in his endeavours, so its Oranges & Lemons, Fragile, and I didn't have his Get All You Deserve (Blu-ray/DVD/2CD), so I tagged that on as well.

Burning Shed doesn't have a preorder link yet that I can find. I always get great service to the U.S. from them.

I'll have to find a way to listen to it in surround in the car, where I spend two hours a day. It's also the easiest way to have friends from work hear surround. There are some surround discs that would be necessary to me if on DVDA, but would pass on if I could only hear it at home, but this is XTC! I bought it originally on cassette and spent the next six months bringing it from the car to the shop everyday. A lot of people heard it that way and the band gained a couple lifelong fans. Since I've become a surround fanatic I have to hear things in surround if possible.
I'm not complaining though. Maybe it is a market test.

And 5) I like DVD-A because you can very easily rip it on your computer. ;)

They must consider this a "crown jewel" of their releases and want it to be more difficult to rip to any other file. They are for sure limiting their sales potential here. They might reconsider this.

I'm always behind the tech curve and have not gone BD as of yet.

I am absolutely gutted that there will be no DVD-A release. Literally the only reason I hang on to my Acura is my love for the ELS 5.1 DVD-A Surround system. I have bought every Yes and XTC reissue in both Blu-ray AND DVD-A formats, one for home, one for car. And while I do understand the financial constraints, I'm hoping they will reconsider.

I am truly crushed, as I was counting the days until I could drive around enjoying Oranges and Lemons in 5.1.

I am absolutely gutted that there will be no DVD-A release. Literally the only reason I hang on to my Acura is my love for the ELS 5.1 DVD-A Surround system. I have bought every Yes and XTC reissue in both Blu-ray AND DVD-A formats, one for home, one for car. And while I do understand the financial constraints, I'm hoping they will reconsider.

I am truly crushed, as I was counting the days until I could drive around enjoying Oranges and Lemons in 5.1.

The only reason why I got a Acura was similar to you because of Dvda's and like you was so happy that people were still giving us a choice to get them.
Also very bummed out about this.

There's some people on this forum who make their own dvd-audio disks, though I suppose the software and hardware expenses might not be worth it just for a disk or two.

Why is it such an excellent idea to not offer a DVD(A) version too?
Just because the last few DVD-As didn't play on your machine doesn't mean that a lot of others on here also have issues with them.
Not just mine. Plenty of other models they wouldn't play on. I'm sure they got plenty of returns. The only reason they play on your Oppo is that Oppo is a current machine with firmware updates offered to handle disks not made to the dvd-audio standard. Otherwise you wouldn't be playing them either.

Funny that the Acura's DVD-A players NEVER get a firmware update and they play every DVD-A that I've thrown at them. Sounds like the issues are with cupboy's players, not the discs.

Anyway, it's a shame that there can't be a limited run of CD/DVD-A's out there, because there are still a LOT of people who do not have, and never will have, BluRay players, and at least a DVD-A will play in DD/DTS or whatever is put on the DVD-V layer.

Seems like a stupid decision to me to excluded DVD-V/A

PS - I would bet the difference in the resale price of the DVD vs BluRay is simply that the store charges more for used BluRays than they do for DVDs. They probably have no idea these are even music discs.

Quadrophenia is the only other BluRay surround disc I wanted that did not get a DVD or SACD release. I'd bet it was not a sales record breaker. It might take Beatles, Zeppelin, or Stones in surround to get me on board with BluRay.

Quadrophenia is the only other BluRay surround disc I wanted that did not get a DVD or SACD release. I'd bet it was not a sales record breaker. It might take Beatles, Zeppelin, or Stones in surround to get me on board with BluRay.

Well technically "Quadrophenia" did have a DVD-A release, but it was only 8 songs, and it's only available in the "Quadrophenia Director's Cut" box set.
I think the only way "Quadrophenia" would have gotten a full DVD-A and SACD release was if it came out in 2005 or earlier.
Plus it would take 2 DVD-As and 2 SACDs to get the job done as opposed to the one Blu-Ray disc it occupies now.

Also if you're waiting for the Beatles, Zeppelin, and/or the Stones to get on board with Blu-Ray audio and surround, you'll be waiting an awfully long time then… ;)

Back