Tweets from Andy P. re: Oranges and Lemons

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was definitely a physical tape involved, as Dave Gregory (I believe) once told the story about how Todd mapped out the album on two reels of tape and they had to record everything in order so as not to use more than the two reels of tape.

Ah yes thanks, I remember reading that as well.

Typical Todd, he was a notorious miser with tape and erased over anything he didn't think was good enough, including many of his own unfinished works.

Good, then in theory there are two 2" reels of tape to be found somewhere.

I was thinking of the rhythm tracks they mapped out on the Fairlight which were later replaced by Prarie's real drum tracks.

God I hope they find those tapes, that record would be epic in surround.

I ran into Todd right after it was released and asked him how it was working with XTC. He said, 'Ugh thank god that's over"

I was puzzled and then started seeing along with everyone else all the hash being slung in the press between him and Andy.

I ran into Todd right after it was released and asked him how it was working with XTC. He said, 'Ugh thank god that's over"

Two different perfectionists that want things their own way, and it's their way, or no way. Compromising can never be reached. Such a shame with these two artists too! At the time of the "Skylarking" recordings, they both possessed (and still do) a ton of creativity as you can see by their work, and in Todd's case, work with other artists as a producer.

Now that they both have matured, it may be a bit easier to work out differences and find common ground on a project. And, then again, maybe not. smiley_biggrin.gif

Andy also tweeted a few days ago in response to someone's comment about Apple Venus the following:

That's getting the 5.1 at some point in the not too distant

So I guess they have the multi-tracks for that album. I'm still hoping for English Settlement and Skylarking some day.

Andy also tweeted a few days ago in response to someone's comment about Apple Venus the following:

So I guess they have the multi-tracks for that album. I'm still hoping for English Settlement and Skylarking some day.

I Thought I saw a quote from him saying that Colin had finally agreed to Apple Wasp etc being mixed.

If it gives time and money to finding all of the other tapes then let it be.

My hope is for those albums where not everything is available a best of what's left could get done in 5.1. we all of course hope everything will be found. By far the XTC releases are my favourite so far.

Latest tweet from Andy:

Been listening to some of the new Steven Wilson mixes of ORANGES AND LEMONS....ooh!,they are really good,warmer,clearer,doing it good.

Yay!

Given Andy's tweets concerning the tape situation with XTC's older albums, I'm so excited that this album is definitely coming in surround as it has a lot of good songs on it, and it's well arranged. The mixing can be improved, but that can be fixed (and it sounds like it is)
You can't fix bad songs or arrangements after they have been recorded…although people have tried… ;)

Always nice seeing interesting tweets like this from Andy:

Listening to new remix of PINK THING,was reminded of Daves solo,an homage to Charlie Parkers RELAXIN AT CAMARILLO via Joe Pass

Sounds like things are moving along quite nicely! :)

Recent tweet from Andy P. from Jan. 16:

"Spent today mastering ORANGES rehearsal sessions and demos...but the thing that made me REALLY laugh were the US radio IDs ,unused I may add"

Another tweet from Andy just a little while ago:

Back from Steven Wilson's,5.1 ORANGES sounds just fantastic,standouts maybe GARDEN,ANTHEAP,too many.Sounds so good.Another bullseye from SW.

Back