Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the money pit that is QQ! I have a Heathkit audioscope that I’ve modified three or fout times, and is part of my grooviness collections. I hope yours is more than just “ready” soon.
Well yes, it already works, It took me a little while to understand how to connect it to my amplifier but I already managed to make it work, although I'm taking a while to get someone to paint the lid with electrostatic paint.

Thanks

Hi all,
I am a Dubliner 60+ yrs old... Last Thursday I stumbled upon this website and your esteemed community of music lovers kinda by accident when I was looking for advice about something tangential to Quadrophonic recordings*.
Ive been interested in sound editing since about 1990 when I used audition 3 before it got fubared but dont worry Im not going to go on about that as it puts me in a foul mood anyway. I try to avoid sarcasm because that, imho, is the realm of pimply-brained adolescents.
I intend to become a supporting member when I can but Christmas just gone has put me fairly deeply in the red with a new PC & screen.
Anything else you want to know I'll endeavour to answer soon as

++++++++++++++++++
I'm not sure I get what this whole website is really all about but I'll learn.

Like adobe - Like Salads.PNG

I forgot to mention Im a fan of Gary Larsson his stuff always good for a laugh

This website is about anything and everything short of politics and religion! There are threads about pets, grilling (meat usually), and American football, so there’s never a dull moment.

Of course, most of the site is about music and its reproduction, but we also have a few people who actually make music (I am in awe), so I’m sure you will find plenty to waste your time (and money) on.

Nobody has a clue what this website is about, though it's rumoured that every post is actually code that conveys deep state interventions (e.g. "I have a problem with my Sony not playing SACDs" could be parsed as "We need to do something about Yemen").

Hello everyone, my name is Emanuele, and I'm writing from Rome, Italy! I am a huge music enthusiast (currently only stereo, with a classic setup featuring an amplifier and two speakers). However, I joined this forum mainly to thank HomerJAU for his helpful Music Media Helper and to provide some feedback!
I will gradually explore the forum. Thanks!

Hi all
I hope this is the right place to do this. Apologise if not.
I wanted to introduce my self and my quad set up as a sort of confessional to members. Ive been a member for a while but haven’t really posted. I work as a live sound engineer and mastering engineer. My obsession is surround and quadraphonic audio and my vinyl collection.
Having started with my dad’s Realistic QTA 753 Quadraphonic amp with quadravox and SQ and then moved onto a JVC 5456… I decided that the older amps were becoming a little unreliable ..the JVC especially so. The JVC introduced me to CD4 and I bought a Phlux 2 active Shibata cartridge and a groove sleuth preamp from Phaedrus audio. This thing really works well with CD-4 and tracks magnificently. The groove sleuth also puts out a non RIAA curve signal at an impedence suitable for quality digital interfaces to record and using Stereolab from Pspatial audio one can very adequately decode CD-4 QS and SQ vinyl into separate wav files for digital playback. The CD-4 decoder is use is a National Panasonic SE405 which also acts as a switch for my SACD player running 4 outs from Vocalion Dutton SACDs and my MOTU interface running digital quad files from a Mac book pro. The CD-4 decoding seems to work magnificently and Ive had great success with a bunch of Quadradisc recordings and some interesting JVC discs from East Asian visits (S Korea and Japan)
The turntable is a Rega Planar 3 with new bearings and updated solid PVC platter.
The QS and SQ decoding is done from an Involve Surround master V3 which it does magnificently with a digital input via Toslink or analogue stereo ..Highly recommended. I end up listening to regular stereo recordings through the QS (Involve) decoder on the SMV3 most of the time as it masterfully spreads the signal over 4 channels.
The preamp is an SPL 5.1 mastering monitor controller into a modern Arcam PA410 4 channel power amp.
The room I use for this is small and so I use 2 KEF LS50 meta speakers for mains and some Gallo acoustics from side(rear) speakers. I have an Adam sub 7 for the .1 if I need it from the Surround master. The Kefs and the Gallos have a very solid imaging which i find really helps the quad referencing of sound points in space.
I have been really happy with the set up and it seems stable and reliable now for all the quad formats on vinyl (and SACD)
Many thanks to everyone who contributes to this site as it’s so informative to see what everyone’s using and how they get on with it. I’d love to use my older amps but Ive now found this Neo quad set up is very solid and the only bit of gear from the past i rely on is the Panasonic SE405 which is a great decoder and frankly a superb phono Stage. (Tell this to hifi store owners and they smirk)
Favourite quad albums are my QS encodings of Enoch Lights label Project 3
( especially Spaced out) And Tomitas SACD and quadradisc offerings especially the Planets.
My SQ collection is fairly large but I don’t find the decoding nearly as exciting as QS and CD4 …I believe Wendy Carlos removed her SQ records from circulation.
Favourite stereo album in QS might be Russ Garcias Fantastica
Happy to share great quad album ideas
Best wishes all quad types and happy to see so many keeping the faith.

Hi all
I wanted to introduce my self and my quad set up as a sort of confessional to members. Ive been a member for a while but haven’t really posted. I work as a live sound engineer and mastering engineer. My obsession is surround and quadraphonic audio and my vinyl collection.
Having started with my dad’s Realistic QTA 753 Quadraphonic amp with quadravox and SQ and then moved onto a JVC 5456… I decided that the older amps were becoming a little unreliable ..the JVC especially so. The JVC introduced me to CD4 and I bought a Phlux 2 active Shibata cartridge and a groove sleuth preamp from Phaedrus audio. This thing really works well with CD-4 and tracks magnificently. The groove sleuth also puts out a non RIAA curve signal at an impedence suitable for quality digital interfaces to record and using Stereolab from Pspatial audio one can very adequately decode CD-4 QS and SQ vinyl into separate wav files for digital playback. The CD-4 decoder is use is a National Panasonic SE405 which also acts as a switch for my SACD player running 4 outs from Vocalion Dutton SACDs and my MOTU interface running digital quad files from a Mac book pro. The CD-4 decoding seems to work magnificently and Ive had great success with a bunch of Quadradisc recordings and some interesting JVC discs from East Asian visits (S Korea and Japan)
The turntable is a Rega Planar 3 with new bearings and updated solid PVC platter.
The QS and SQ decoding is done from an Involve Surround master V3 which it does magnificently with a digital input via Toslink or analogue stereo ..Highly recommended. I end up listening to regular stereo recordings through the QS (Involve) decoder on the SMV3 most of the time as it masterfully spreads the signal over 4 channels.
The preamp is an SPL 5.1 mastering monitor controller into a modern Arcam PA410 4 channel power amp.
The room I use for this is small and so I use 2 KEF LS50 meta speakers for mains and some Gallo acoustics from side(rear) speakers. I have an Adam sub 7 for the .1 if I need it from the Surround master. The Kefs and the Gallos have a very solid imaging which i find really helps the quad referencing of sound points in space.
I have been really happy with the set up and it seems stable and reliable now for all the quad formats on vinyl (and SACD)
Many thanks to everyone who contributes to this site as it’s so informative to see what everyone’s using and how they get on with it. I’d love to use my older amps but Ive now found this Neo quad set up is very solid and the only bit of gear from the past i rely on is the Panasonic SE405 which is a great decoder and frankly a superb phono Stage. (Tell this to hifi store owners and they smirk)
( especially Spaced out) And Tomitas SACD and quadradisc offerings especially the Planets.
My SQ collection is fairly large but I don’t find the decoding nearly as exciting as QS and CD4 …I believe Wendy Carlos removed her SQ records from circulation.
Welcome. Sounds like you got it all together for your music enjoyment.

Hello, first post.

I just stream music from my NAS to an Nvidia Shield. I've been collecting a handful of SACD's, DVD-A's, and music Blu-Rays over the past 15-20 years. I finally figured out how to rip them to FLAC and play them over HDMI so they're better integrated with the rest of my offline library. That got me interested in surround sound music again. Unfortunately, a lot of the indie music I like is 2-channel only. I am excited to have a bunch of classical music in discrete surround sound at least. (yes I convert the SACD DSD to PCM FLAC just for compatibility's sake)

I may need to try to figure out how to get Apple Music or something to work on the Shield so I can stream the surround/Atmos mixes that seem to be popping up on streaming only.

My system itself is a a quite modest little 4.1 thing. The receiver is a Yamaha RX-A880 connected to an Emotiva 5-channel amp. The speakers are a Polk LSi system. I put some absorptive panels at the first reflection points but otherwise haven't done much acoustically.

Hi folks...
Old(er) rock n roller here..
Been audio addicted since '69..
Very cool site.. loving it, especially new release opinions...
**Began to jump into vintage equipment last 2 years, and the market is insane..but fun {be careful!}.

Was in Navy 75-79 with long stretches at sea.had my small audio gear with excellent headphones..
Good years for Rock..

Lately: scorpions, Black Sabbath,
Ten Years After, The Doors

Good listening my friends...

Attachments

• 20240130_083727.jpg
    20240130_083727.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Hi all
First, this IS the right place, but there really isn’t a wrong place.

Second, welcome to QQ! I hope you post often, sharing your musical adventures. They seem electronically oriented, and I share your appreciation for some of those groundbreaking recordings.

I was unaware that “Fantastica” had been released in quad. One more to look for. In fact, my copy is mono (a neighbor gave it to me when I was babysitting their kids, about 60 years back).

Back