Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everybody , good to meet you all, just joined the forum this week and loving it - I have been buying surround discs for a long time now - probably since around 2000/2001 - I'm involved in music on a daily basis as I have a record store , run a local record fair and also promote live shows in my area - as Frank Zappa once said ''Music is the best'' !

WELCOME to the forum WBP. Just in time to savor the SURROUND renaissance of 2019 with your Watford, UK neighbor Dutton Vocalion leading the charge.

Don't be a stranger.

thank you! unfortunately I sold many of my discs picked up around that time ( which I regret) inc Billion Dollar Babies , Steve Stevens for eg , only in the last few years have I started collecting again . Back around 2000 I would visit New York once a year and seeing the dedicated section of surround discs in Tower in Times Square was so great! I have Life In Surround's You Tube channel to thank for finding this site - its good to be here!
Nice to have you here. This forum can help you regain what you regret selling.

Excellent one who is truly committed @Awdeeohnut. It is only kinky the first time. However perverted is for life. Hello Oh a weed nut Awdeeohnut welcome.

IMG_0074.3.jpg

Hi, everyone! I joined because I need to find out how/where I can get access to playing back a QS master tape. How would I find such a person/place? Thanks in advance!

Hi, everyone! I joined because I need to find out how/where I can get access to playing back a QS master tape. How would I find such a person/place? Thanks in advance!

Hi. mslibrty

Welcome to QQ I`m not quite sure what you mean QS master tapes these master tapes where used to make a LP stamper to mass produce QS LP`s.
But there where Discrete consumer Quadraphonic Reel to Reel tapes made for the general public, so if you can give more information in what you are after some one my be able to help.
BBQ....

Last edited:
BBQ--I believe this is an original QS master tape for pressing LP's, from the studio. Def not for public. Thanks!

Hi. mslibrty

Well then it will be in a stereo form, but QS encoded to play back you will need a reel to reel tape machine to play the tape and it has to match the tape format meaning quarter track or inch tape most likely inch tape ?? you then play it through a QS Decoder to here the 4 channel Quad sound.

Its very rare to come across Master tape.

Hi. mslibrty

Well then it will be in a stereo form, but QS encoded to play back you will need a reel to reel tape machine to play the tape and it has to match the tape format meaning quarter track or inch tape most likely inch tape ?? you then play it through a QS Decoder to here the 4 channel Quad sound.

Yes, I realize this may be a big rarity, but want to make sure it plays back...

Yes, I realize this may be a big rarity, but want to make sure it plays back...

If it's really a master tape, it might be 15ips or it might even need a special reel to reel player to play it back.
Is there any info on the box or the tape?

If it's really a master tape, it might be 15ips or it might even need a special reel to reel player to play it back.
Is there any info on the box or the tape?

Tape speed 15 IPS. The box states "Sansui SQ Encoded", but I'm starting to think that maybe the person who hand-wrote the info transposed the QS/SQ letters. I can't figure out any other scenario...

Hi. mslibrty

It is quarter inch tape...

Then in essence this tape will run on any good 10" quarter inch tape player Akai - Teak and others that can run at 15 ips
BBQ...

BBQ,

So, I can use any .25" tape player to playback, or does it have to be played through a QS Decoder? In other words, is the decoder just for quad sound, or will it playback in stereo without it? Thanks, mslibrty

Back