What are the Rarest** MultiChannel SACDs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad Sabbath never made any other CD-4s. I need to find that LP. I don't think there has been any multi channel version of Sabotage has there? On a brief search I saw that there was a Master Of Reality SACD. Is that it for Ozzy era multi-channel?

the Master of Reality is stereo, no!?

Actually you are right. That is stereo. I did not know that there was a master of reality SACD till a few minutes ago and a google search.

So that means that Paranoid is the only Ozzy Era multi-channel disc. What a shame! I love Paranoid but with Sabotage, I can think of all kinds of amazing surround effects you could create with that material.

totally agree on the capitalism front, etc.! and it's true, it's all swings and roundabouts!

that said, I've been very lucky, I got Violator for £12 and the Cardigans for less than £5, both new, both within the last 6 months, so these rarities are still out there el cheapo if you get lucky.

still, on the offset thing, I've had to fork out £50 apiece for the Avalon, Heathen, Legalize It SACDs in that same time, which is too much I reckon but it's all relative as you say and ultimately what these things are worth are down to the individual and market forces/supply & demand, etc..aren't they!?

was the E Power Biggs worth the $100+..? only it's on my "to-get" list.. if/when I can ever find it for sensible money!

It was worth it to me at the time. Would I buy it today knowing that I can get it in both dvd-a and sacd-r? Call me crazy, but I probably would in order to own the rare original. But I am a sucker for low bass and this disc shakes my foundation like no other disc. My 2 subs get a workout and then some when I play this disc.

Moral views aside, every disc is available for leeching but I choose to buy. When curiosity gets to me about a disc that's highly regarded and it's OOP and next to impossible to find, I do as others do and "get it" to hear what all the fuss is about. I still have yet to hear ELP's current 2 releases as my copies have not arrived from amazon.uk. Thoses releases have been available within hours of release as Lynryd Skynryd's dvd-a. I choose to pay for current releases, so I can show my support of the great format that is multichannel high resolution music.

I also buy a ton of blu-ray movies, even though the same leeching principle applies.

It won't be long before physical media is gone by the wayside. I'm going to continue to support physical media until the last dying days.

I don't think it's capitalism at all. I think it's the personal price you put on having a physical copy of something. If these things are OOP, no matter where the money goes, it's not going towards the artist. All these mixes are out there on the internet anyway. I don't buy this ".....but EBay prices show the industry there's still interest" argument. There's plenty of stereo albums which fetch thousands that have never been reissued. If someone puts that much value on a physical copy of something, then more power to them. You'll never see me spending that kind of money on an OOP mix. I'd rather not have another jewel case of physical CD/DVD in my collection.

I accept that none of the inflated profit goes to the artist - less than ideal but it's partly their fault and partly the labels fault if they don't know/care about the interest in these things now.

either way it's still free marketeering, capitalism, call it what you will.. enterprising folk with hard to find stereo/surround/whatever music media who know what they've got, are making a healthy profit. we all would (or do) in the same position.

it's not ideal for people like us on here but it's how it's all panned out now, so you live with it or you opt out and eschew the physical expensive stuff and either play the waiting game in the hope what you're looking for will turn up eventually, or get creative like you do and make your own kind of music! kudos to you!

me.. I love the physical product almost as much as its contents at times, so I opt into the whole shebang and accept it for what it is, as one of the ways to get the disc of something I enjoy owning and mostly listening to. though not all of it is ultimately maybe "worth it", it's an individual thing, I guess I shouldn't judge if someone is willing to pay through the roof for something if they want it that badly..!?

Actually you are right. That is stereo. I did not know that there was a master of reality SACD till a few minutes ago and a google search.

So that means that Paranoid is the only Ozzy Era multi-channel disc. What a shame! I love Paranoid but with Sabotage, I can think of all kinds of amazing surround effects you could create with that material.

have you tried playing it in pro-logic or DTS through your processor/receiver?
you never know, you might get lucky with some out of phase info that creates some cool effects!?

or maybe some talented enterprising individual has made a SPEC/upmix 5.1 of that stereo SACD, that's floating about out there on the interwebs...!?

It was worth it to me at the time. Would I buy it today knowing that I can get it in both dvd-a and sacd-r? Call me crazy, but I probably would in oder to own the rare original. But I am a sucker for low bass and this disc shakes my foundation like no other disc. My 2 subs get a workout and then some when I play this disc.

Morality views aside, every disc is available for leeching but I choose to buy. When curiosity gets to me about a disc that's highly regarded and it's OOP and next to impossible to find, I do as others do and "get it" to hear what all the fuss is about. I still have yet to hear ELP's 2 releases as my copies have not arrived from amazon.uk. Thoses releases have been available within hours of release as Lynryd Skynryd's dvd-a. I choose to pay for current releases, so I can show my support of the great format that is multichannel high resolution music.

I also buy a ton of blu-ray movies, even though the same leeching principle applies.

It won't be long before physical media is gone by the wayside. I'm going to continue to support physical media until the last dying days.

I reckon a fair few QQ members would also much rather have the physical SACD or DVD-A as you do (I'm with you on that 100%) but have to resort to downloading rips to hear some of these things, as a result of their rarity/expense now.

I'll own up to also downloading commercially available 5.1 ripped mixes to check them out before going on to buy them, or not, if they're not up to snuff. It feels a bit wrong but if they were cheaper/more readily available I'd probably take the plunge and buy more of them even knowing they're not great in surround - I'm sure I'm not alone in doing this, technically illegal but a great money saver! :eek:

I had Romantic Warrior on order with Tower and Music Direct. I got skunked. It's probably the only SACD that I don't own and am seeking. All my other titles I bought the week they were released. It's cheaper that way,

I've recently gone out and obtained a few favorite/hard-to find SACDs/DVD-As/DTS discs for a large sum of money (~100 each).

Toto IV - (MC - SACD) - tracks Rosanna and Africa are worth 100$ alone in 5.1. simply awesome. Both of these are among best songs of the 80s. Overplayed yes, but the tight musicianship and production really soars in MC. I'm glad I didn't listen to some of the SA-CD.net reviews which panned the surrounds on Africa.

Once Upon a Time - Simple Minds (MC- DTS 5.1 24/96 and DVD-A) - worth its weight in gold. The multichannel mix is top notch and each song on album brings huge smiles in 5.1

Aerosmith - Toys in the attic (MC- SACD) - Walk this Way - excellent- Sweet Emotion - stunning

Band on the Run - (HDS -DTSCD - 44.1 khz 5.1) - I definitely overpaid for this one. (based on someone else's now discredited recommendation) gimicky/poor 5.1 mix, vocals are flat. Even turned up loud McCartney sounds like he is singing in room next door- * not a hi-rez recording.

Celine - All the Way a Decade of Song (MC - SACD -) 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' captures Celines voice at its most translucent. I wish we had her entire catalog in SACD. (A New Day Has Come is also good) However, don't buy either of these for the multichannel mixes.

Billy Joel - The Stranger - (MC - SACD) This disk is my second favorite SACD next to TOTO IV. The 5.1 mix is jaw-dropping! -Specifically the title track, "Just the Way You Are" and "Scenes from an italian restaurant" - (good heavens! - the accordian!!!!!!)
Even the stereo mix on this disc puts the recent mofi SACD stereo remaster release to shame. There is no comparison.
(Billy's other MC SACD release 52nd Street is also very good)

Others I've paid high price for but worth it -

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac - DVD-Audio-MC - consistently one of the highest reviewed DVD-Audio/SACDs - entirely new creature in 5.1 than original stereo release.
Hotel California - JAPANese release SACD - MC - sounds like it was recorded yesterday - HIGHLY RECOMMEND if you do not already have it.

My philosophy is that, as long as you LOVE the disc , it don't matter if you "overpaid" for it...
AS IT IS.
I got into MCH in 2008, which was REALLY late in the game and was very lucky to get almost all of the ones on your list for RIDICULOUSLY LOW prices(20-30 USD)
But I still have to get FMac's Rumours or Simple Mind's OOAT..those were ALREADY SUPER EXPENSIVE...

Good luck and ENJOY THOSE SUCKERS!!!!!
:smokin

I've recently gone out and obtained a few favorite/hard-to find SACDs/DVD-As/DTS discs for a large sum of money (~100 each).

Toto IV - (MC - SACD) - tracks Rosanna and Africa are worth 100$ alone in 5.1. simply awesome. Both of these are among best songs of the 80s. Overplayed yes, but the tight musicianship and production really soars in MC. I'm glad I didn't listen to some of the SA-CD.net reviews which panned the surrounds on Africa.

Once Upon a Time - Simple Minds (MC- DTS 5.1 24/96 and DVD-A) - worth its weight in gold. The multichannel mix is top notch and each song on album brings huge smiles in 5.1

Aerosmith - Toys in the attic (MC- SACD) - Walk this Way - excellent- Sweet Emotion - stunning

Band on the Run - (HDS -DTSCD - 44.1 khz 5.1) - I definitely overpaid for this one. (based on someone else's now discredited recommendation) gimicky/poor 5.1 mix, vocals are flat. Even turned up loud McCartney sounds like he is singing in room next door- * not a hi-rez recording.

Celine - All the Way a Decade of Song (MC - SACD -) 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' captures Celines voice at its most translucent. I wish we had her entire catalog in SACD. (A New Day Has Come is also good) However, don't buy either of these for the multichannel mixes.

Billy Joel - The Stranger - (MC - SACD) This disk is my second favorite SACD next to TOTO IV. The 5.1 mix is jaw-dropping! -Specifically the title track, "Just the Way You Are" and "Scenes from an italian restaurant" - (good heavens! - the accordian!!!!!!)
Even the stereo mix on this disc puts the recent mofi SACD stereo remaster release to shame. There is no comparison.
(Billy's other MC SACD release 52nd Street is also very good)

Others I've paid high price for but worth it -

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac - DVD-Audio-MC - consistently one of the highest reviewed DVD-Audio/SACDs - entirely new creature in 5.1 than original stereo release.
Hotel California - JAPANese release SACD - MC - sounds like it was recorded yesterday - HIGHLY RECOMMEND if you do not already have it.

I bought the Concerto SACD on day of release at the big HMV on Oxford St. in London - they had a whole rack full of copies at the time. I assume that like the Machine Head SACD, it was a Europe-only release.

One SACD thats not mentioned much is Deep Purple: Concerto for Group and Orchestra..

The DVD-A is quite common, but I've never seen the SACD version...
Very common slow selling dvd-audio. I don't think I've seen the SACD either. It was probably stereo though... wasn't it?

Very common slow selling dvd-audio. I don't think I've seen the SACD either. It was probably stereo though... wasn't it?

No, it's 5.1 - the surround mix was the reason I bought the SACD.

Back