What are the Rarest** MultiChannel SACDs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've passed on the SACD a couple of times in the last few years thinking it was as easy to get as the DVD-A... big mistake! it's now v.hard to find. it's not on my wish list as I have the DVD-A and don't enjoy it at all. now the "Machine Head" SACD (and DVD-A, I love the 5.1 too!) that's a different story!

If only that rumoured 5.1 of "Burn" would make it out of the vaults of the ashes of EMI.. still there's the Quad-tastic "Stormbringer" DTS for when I fancy a bit of Coverdale-era Purple in surround-a-sound-a..! :D

I'm kind of curious as to how rare Carly Simon's No Secrets DVD-A is these days, being one of my favorite MC discs, and the only one in my collection I have more than one copy of...

Pretty common if you try to sell it, pretty rare if you try to buy it. ;)

Regarding Paul McCartney DTS releases... Has anyone had the misfortune of hearing Venus And Mars? That MC mix makes the Band On The Run MC sound like sheer genius... Talk about a missed opportunity!! :-(

Regarding Paul McCartney DTS releases... Has anyone had the misfortune of hearing Venus And Mars? That MC mix makes the Band On The Run MC sound like sheer genius... Talk about a missed opportunity!! :-(

I personally like very much this mix,.... the DTS suffers from "muffled" sound and a really weird song order. I have the Q8 , which a kind member transferred to DVD-A for me and it sounds TERRIFIC (especially for being a Q8!),

Cheers,
G

Cheers... I've listened to it again just now and yes, that's my problem with the DTS mix... Extremely muffled and compressed, some senseless vocal panning choices, and the song order IS weird. If they had access to the multitrack masters, I really don't get it. I'd really like someone like Elliot Scheiner or Giles Martin or Greg Penny or Steven Wilson to take the original raw tracks and do the job properly, because when you consider the instrumentation, performances and arrangements on V&M, the end result would probably be stunning.

The Q8 mix sounds interesting though, kap'n crunch. Do you know where I might be able to get a copy of that, even as a download?

I guess it's just a matter of what one considers to be good sound, but I still maintain that the DTS constitutes the worst-sounding multichannel of any of the 70-odd discs I have. Having said that, I agree that the stereo mix on my 1987 stereo CD is also pretty damn lousy (listening to it right now) especially EQ-wise. The drums sound weak and compressed in the mix (snares and hihats especially) and just don't cut through, especially on Rock Show but pretty much everywhere else on the album too. I don't know if the later re-mastered cd releases are any better...

The vinyl was not great either...the dcc gold cd saves some tracks...but nothing saves the lp mix of "Letting go"... but......"letting go" on the 45 rpm single has what sounds like a drumkit with a decent cymbals....not bad actually

I bought the Concerto SACD on day of release at the big HMV on Oxford St. in London - they had a whole rack full of copies at the time. I assume that like the Machine Head SACD, it was a Europe-only release.

Correct. It was a Hybrid Layer Surround Sound SACD released by EMI/Harvest UK. Never received a U.S. release - which is why it's always been very rare outside of the UK.

Cheers... I've listened to it again just now and yes, that's my problem with the DTS mix... Extremely muffled and compressed, some senseless vocal panning choices, and the song order IS weird. If they had access to the multitrack masters, I really don't get it. I'd really like someone like Elliot Scheiner or Giles Martin or Greg Penny or Steven Wilson to take the original raw tracks and do the job properly, because when you consider the instrumentation, performances and arrangements on V&M, the end result would probably be stunning.

The Q8 mix sounds interesting though, kap'n crunch. Do you know where I might be able to get a copy of that, even as a download?

Brad Miller did not have access to the multichannel masters for the DTS CD's. Basically, once the deal for the quad disc was made, the Special Products Division would pull the quad master and make a DA-88 transfer of the 4-channel mix. Then Brad would have a studio do any NoNoise processing or EQ and he'd get a DA-88 check tape back to listen to - if changes were needed, he'd make notes and the studio - which, I believe in most cases was the original releasing studio - would make the changes and this would go back and forth until Brad - and I believe Tab Patterson - was happy or at least accepting of the noise reduction and EQ changes. Then an LFE channel and center channel was created because DTS required it - they would not encode 4.0 material - so Brad had the LFE and Center Channels made as simple L+R at a very low level and the LFE was a simple crossover, again at a low level to satisfy DTS. But the info was not removed from the original 4 tracks so on all the HDS releases you can turn off the center channel and turn down/off the LFE and have the original quad tracks. Then DTS did the encoding themselves.

A major problem Brad had was the studio libraries were a mess - they'd get DA-88 tapes and the rear channels were the same as the front and it would turn out that was all the studio had or could find. Planned releases had to be dropped because they couldn't find all the quad channels. The mess of the studio libraries quad material is why I think some of the albums have such odd track orders and such.

once DVD-A and SACD started getting interest the studios locked down their quad vaults and no more quad could be licensed vis the Special Products Divisions.

Disclord - It was Tad Bartel (quadtrade), not Tab Patterson. People get them confused because their names are so close!

Then an LFE channel and center channel was created because DTS required it - they would not encode 4.0 material - so Brad had the LFE and Center Channels made as simple L+R at a very low level and the LFE was a simple crossover, again at a low level to satisfy DTS. But the info was not removed from the original 4 tracks so on all the HDS releases you can turn off the center channel and turn down/off the LFE and have the original quad tracks. Then DTS did the encoding themselves.

Well, not quite. The first Mobile Fidelity DTS CDs were 4.0. The 5.1 versions came later and were the result of customer interest and demand. I remember because I had both sets of the initial releases purchased from Mobile Fidelity - in 4.0 and 5.1. And I talked with Brad about the reasons for changing from 4.0 to 5.1 mid-stream.

Disclord - It was Tad Bartel (quadtrade), not Tab Patterson. People get them confused because their names are so close!
well yes and I think "Special Products" referred only to Columbia Special Products...and dts did insist on 5.1 for marketing, but perhaps they did that after the first few were only 4.0...but it doesn't really matter too much, it's a pretty good summation...I think also Columbia Special Product started increasing the pricing too just to make sure it was going to end...
anyway if we've left something out I'm sure Tad can add in the rest...

Back