What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as some QQ-ers will pay around $40 for the BD disc alone from these deluxe boxes,
I'm curious to know the maximum you guys would be willing to stretch for a stand-alone BD-audio format disc?

Or what you think a realistic ball-park should be, if this were to come about?

The two BD albums by Tom Petty were pretty reasonably priced and readily available in record stores here in the UK.
Although HMV kept their stock in with the Live Concert and Music video DVDs and Blu rays, rather than with the CD versions which was a bit silly IMHO..

*(For the record, the Mojo BD was £18/$28, Torpedoes even cheaper..
The BD of Rushs' Moving Pictures was more plentiful in stores, sold alongside the Rush CDS, whereas the DVDA version was only available online here in the UK, in my experience).

For a BD or DVD-A, by itself, I'd probably be willing to pay $20.-30. USD, if it was something that I thought that I absolutely had to have. If it contains a true quadraphonic mix of a recording that I like, I'd go for it. If it were a 5.1 mix, I'd probably walk away. Why? Most of the 5.1 mixes that I have are similar to the fake rechanneled stereo of the 60's. Most merely give you the illusion of being in the middle of a performance and are in no way discrete, which is a shame because processes like DTS can be discrete. The SACD's are useless to me and I have found no real advantage to them. Where I am coming from is I have many discrete quadraphonic recordings in my collection and I also have many in the SACD, DVD-A and/or BD formats in 5.1 and 6.1. There ain't no comparison.

Eric Clapton-Reptile DVD-A courtesy of a fellow Quad head and friend! Thanks A!!!!! I have never listened to this so it's gonna be a treat...

:smokin

I LOVE all of ECs' high-res stuff but I play Reptile & 461 OB the most by a country mile!

Do let us know what you think! Very excited to hear!

I've nearly worn out my DVDA of Reptile, (its started skipping in a couple of places.. eek!) it's a real treat for the senses!

I LOVE all of ECs' high-res stuff but I play Reptile & 461 OB the most by a country mile!

Do let us know what you think! Very excited to hear!

I've nearly worn out my DVDA of Reptile, (its started skipping in a couple of places.. eek!) it's a real treat for the senses!

Well, the first song took me aback..
I thought that I had the wrong disc (or a misprinted one!)...is this a bossa????, but then came Eric's guitar and went along with this curious adventure.

As always, a great album..great sound/production....the mix is quite tame in comparison to other EC DVD-As

Really liked "Travelin light"...and a few other ones...

Obviously, I'm gonna have to listen to it a few more times...

Also the fact that I remember when it came out like it were last week..and this was ..2001!!!! :yikes

Talk about Tempus Fugit!!!!

Well, the first song took me aback..
I thought that I had the wrong disc (or a misprinted one!)...is this a bossa????, but then came Eric's guitar and went along with this curious adventure.

As always, a great album..great sound/production....the mix is quite tame in comparison to other EC DVD-As

Really liked "Travelin light"...and a few other ones...

Obviously, I'm gonna have to listen to it a few more times...

Also the fact that I remember when it came out like it were last week..and this was ..2001!!!! :yikes

Talk about Tempus Fugit!!!!

haha! the two instrumentals that bookend the album are totally weird for Clapton but they make sense in this reflective/autobiographical set of songs.

love "Travellin' Light" too! aren't the backing vocals by The Impressions on this album fantastic too!?

2001..? oh, dear.. tempus fuckit indeed! ;)

When it was new, I used it as a demo. I still play blindfold test with friends. No one ever guesses that it's Eric Clapp.

it's funny how in ones' youth you can dismiss (through naïveté/stupidity/lack of knowledge/peer pressure) an artist you come to love in later life.

we (by that i mean my friends & me) used to deride Claptons' solo efforts as the work of an old fart, past his prime, so removed from his Cream/D&TD incarnation it was almost like he was a different person altogether!

Eric Clapped-out was one snide name for him, I recall.. Oh how I now regret that! Over the last 10 years or so I've come to appreciate his consummate skill and artistry all the more, even if his music is a bit more easy-listening/middle of the road nowadays.

I wasn't being sarcastic. Eric Clapp is his birth name. He's a fantastic guitarist. I have all his discs. I do think that Hendrix and Jeff Beck were/are better.

I know! You just reminded me of one of the names we used to use to be cruel about him years ago!

I've never been big on Hendrix, the production and fidelity of everything I've ever had of his has just gotten in the way of my enjoyment of his skills and musicianship, to my detriment I'm sure but I just can't stand his "sound".

Now, Jeff Beck, the guvnah.. there's a sound I dig, baby, YEAH..!! :smokin

I know! You just reminded me of one of the names we used to use to be cruel about him years ago!

I've never been big on Hendrix, the production and fidelity of everything I've ever had of his has just gotten in the way of my enjoyment of his skills and musicianship, to my detriment I'm sure but I just can't stand his "sound".

Now, Jeff Beck, the guvnah.. there's a sound I dig, baby, YEAH..!! :smokin

I got to see Jeff Beck perform live in concert a few years ago. He was the openning act for B.B. King. The show was great!

REALLY? You don't like HENDRIX?????
Wow---I am really sorry for you (no bad intentions or ridicule, I really am sorry for you!)...
Even for the Clapp (who recognized his talent instantly!)...he is THE guitar god of all times...to me ...there's Jimi, and then on the other side are all the rest of us mortals!!!!
Cheers (and hope one day you like Jimi!)...

(sorry for the derail!)

The Tiptons - Surrounded By Horns (SACD)

This SACD claims to use only the DSD format from the recording to the mastering of the SACD (Direct-Cut-Super-Audio-CD by Stockfisch). No PCM except for the CD layer. Can't wait to hear the result.

Markus

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Pick up Are You Experienced & Axis: Bold As Love, and listen a few times. If you haven't heard these albums, you have NO IDEA what you're missing. NO ONE plays guitar like this guy. The biggest revelation of ANY record I ever bought or heard was when I picked up the 45 of Purple Haze, which is on Are You Experienced. I own nearly 20,000 albums, so this is high praise. This guy did things on guitar that people are still trying to guess how he did it.
(You don't like HENDRIX?) Me neither. I did buy the CD+G CD but more for the graphics than the music content. That's all the Hendrix I have.

REALLY? You don't like HENDRIX?????
Wow---I am really sorry for you (no bad intentions or ridicule, I really am sorry for you!)...
Even for the Clapp (who recognized his talent instantly!)...he is THE guitar god of all times...to me ...there's Jimi, and then on the other side are all the rest of us mortals!!!!
Cheers (and hope one day you like Jimi!)...

(sorry for the derail!)

I've tried (and tried!) to like him.. and of course he was an electric guitar maestro! In many peoples' eyes THE electric guitar god to dethrone all pretenders! I'm not denying that.

I just can't stand his sound in the studio! It's too dirty and the production of his music is too closed-in and undefined for me.

I like a nice clean guitar sound and don't shy away from a guitarist who's partial to gimmicks or theatrics (or musical masturbatory solo workouts) like Vai, Satriani, etc.. if the playings clean.. or if it is to be that grunge-y/ brown sound, at least let it be within a nicely produced "whole", like Zeppelin, or Cream, or Van Halen, or Montrose or Queen.. but I particularly like the unsung session men like Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, James Burton, etc. who come in and sprinkle their brand of guitar magic over a song and make it truly memorable only to bugger off again out of the spotlight..

oh and then of course, in a bit of a genre and league of his own imho, there's Jeff Beck!

I love Ernie Isley, for example, who learned all his licks alongside Hendrix of course and is sometimes seen as a bit of a Hendrix-wannabee.. but I think a lot of why I dig him and not Jimi is due to the production quality/ sheen and everything else going on around him being more my thing, I suppose.

Maybe one day I'll "get" Hendrix before I meet my maker!

You need to look beyond the burning or smashing of guitars. Hendrix himself was frustrated that people came to see him do his tricks. He saw himself moving into jazz, if he had lived. I'll stand by my comment that he was head and shoulders the best rock guitarist, IMHO. Jeff Beck is great and I have all is stuff. He is a far distant second. Beck is a viruoso. Hendrix was THE MASTER.

The position of Jimi Hendrix in the grand scheme of guitar pretty much goes without question. He did most of it first and pretty much with his bare hands, without the tools fo today. For that, we will always be grateful and it still sounds pretty fresh even today. That's a quite a test for anyone. I find no such flaws with his records other than the fewer channels to work with in 1966-67 necessitated a few risks or compromises like The Doors 1st lp (printing vocals with fx to free up tracks). The reissues are always cool and people have come forward with tapes since Experience Hendrix took over so we're not done discovering him yet.

Saw Jeff Beck a few months ago and he is just flat amazing. He has carved out his own universe and seems to be getting more and more of his hands on it. John McLaughlin probably appreciates this ascention in Jeff's playing. At the risk of being cosmic, you have to admire his wholly different approach in even touching the guitar to coax these other-worldly textures and stabs that elevate the song. The terrific bands he's fronted of the last few years have pushed him to claim even more of that higher ground.

This could go on for days so I'll name-drop a few of the ones I revere: Holdsworth, Morse, Satriani, Hackett, Zappa, Keneally, Lifeson, Rundgren, S Wilson, and dozens more.

Even though we're way off topic, I'll add a few more greats: Mike Bloomfield (RIP), Randy California who played in Hendrix' band at 15 (RIP), Clapton, Jimmy Page, and a Chicago guy named Don Griffin (Griff Band) who is mostly unknown and approaches Beck's prowess! I saw the Griff Band open for Spirit, and swear that Griffin blew California away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back