What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joking aside, I have to thank you for bringing this DVDA to my attention, LizardKing, I didn't even know it existed!

So I just checked on Amazon UK and they had one copy new and sealed for £24.99 ($38) and another few copies used from £22 ($34.).

That 1-Click Buy feature of theirs ain't half handy.. ;)

Joking aside, I have to thank you for bringing this DVDA to my attention, LizardKing, I didn't even know it existed!

So I just checked on Amazon UK and they had one copy new and sealed for £24.99 ($38) and another few copies used from £22 ($34.).

That 1-Click Buy feature of theirs ain't half handy.. ;)

Lets just say I'm happy what I paid for it....

I initially heard this one back in about 2003..... you can't go wrong with the Warner DVD-A discs...

I never care for the stereo tracks. All I can say after trying it for 5 secs: they are there and play.

The bonuses: One is an instrumental of en existing title. The last one is with noise while the band prepares. It is rather rough. None of the bonus title is something I was missing so far. Good luck they did not added it to the album tracks. I don't like if the order of tracks is changed. After listening to an album often I get used to it I prefer it to stay the way I got used to it :)

Markus

that is amazing commitment to the surround cause! i'm curious, if there is an album that you really like that has a surround and a stereo mix and the surround is not "as good" as the stereo, would you still only play the surround version?

ah, so it appears the bonuses are nothing special. I can see where you're coming from regarding having the bonus tracks separate, quite a lot of people prefer to have the original album unsullied with bonuses. I personally don't mind if they follow on after a healthy/sensible 10-15 second break, for conveniences' sake more than anything else.

thanks once again for your great feedback, I'm so excited to pick this up now I know there's really 24/96 PCM stereo on there. sacrilege on this forum, I know.. I must wash my mouth out with soap and water! :yikes

Lets just say I'm happy what I paid for it....

I initially heard this one back in about 2003..... you can't go wrong with the Warner DVD-A discs...

I bet you got it for a song! Still 25 quid for a new DVDA I never even knew had been made cant be bad! Bazinga!

True! You can't go wrong with a Warner DVDA.. but you can come to hate whats on them!

The Natalie Merchant, the Stone temple pilots (or whatever they're called), the Paul Simon one, the Linkin' blinkin' Park, the Staind DVDA.. I could have lived quite happily without ever owning any of those "beauties"..!! :D

I bet you got it for a song! Still 25 quid for a new DVDA I never even knew had been made cant be bad! Bazinga!

True! You can't go wrong with a Warner DVDA.. but you can come to hate whats on them!

The Natalie Merchant, the Stone temple pilots (or whatever they're called), the Paul Simon one, the Linkin' blinkin' Park, the Staind DVDA.. I could have lived quite happily without ever owning any of those "beauties"..!! :D

Each to their own - I quite like the Natalie Merchant & Stone Temple Pilots discs and would never get rid of them... but for example I can't listen to Elton John - GBYBR - its waayyy to bright. I like all the other EJ Sacds though...

We're all different - that's what make life interesting eh??? :)

Have you seen this booklet that came with the Warners discs?

IMG1.jpg

and here is the page with Pat Metheny...

IMG.jpg

It's a good list of Warners discs....

Each to their own - I quite like the Natalie Merchant & Stone Temple Pilots discs and would never get rid of them... but for example I can't listen to Elton John - GBYBR - its waayyy to bright. I like all the other EJ Sacds though...

We're all different - that's what make life interesting eh??? :)

Oh yes! Of course, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same!

It's interesting though because I dislike the Natalie Merchant & STP DVDAs for their surround mixes, as much as anything, especially the NM. The NM album itself is nice, it's the poor use of surround on her DVDA that does it for me.
The STP I fear I may never like but I'm willing to give it another try soon and see! On first listen the surround was very lacking, almost double stereo dreck.. but that's to be revisited another day!

I agree GYBR is very bright. I do think that's inherent to the original recording though, as every version I've ever heard has been varying degrees of bright!

Even now I own at least 6 different formats/masterings of that album, with the exception of the DJM vinyl and the Limited Edition yellow vinyl (which both from memory sound different, yet both still on the bright side) I've played all of the others in the last 6-8 weeks and can attest they go from..
- ear-blisterringly bright: high-res stereo on SACD/DVDA being the worst offender,
- the 95 remaster similarly too bright,
- the DVDA/SACD M/C still bright but less so than the SACD or Gus Dudgeon stereo and at least the brightness is spread around the room making it seem less fatiguing (just for me personally),
- the original DJM CD from the mid 80's i feel has been treble boosted a bit (could be totally wrong, could be flat) but is still really very nice, for this album,
- and the MFSL Ultradisc II being least bright.. but still a bit bright.. I think for YBR, the MoFi sounds wonderful. the drums in particular are a revelation on this mastering.

Have you seen this booklet that came with the Warners discs?

View attachment 5253

and here is the page with Pat Metheny...

View attachment 5254

It's a good list of Warners discs....

Yes of course! I hope you're not pulling my leg now!? I must have dozens of copies of those!

I just haven't bothered to look through the bloody thing for about 10 years, or whenever it was that lot came out!

Perhaps "never" was too strong.. I'd totally forgotten about the Pat Metheny to the point where it felt like I'd never known about it in the first place!

There you go :)

This arrived today from the Acoustic Sounds 10%+Free Shipping deal. Extremely good sound and extremely good music. Recorded in 1961.

Attachments

• falla_shm_sacd.jpg
    falla_shm_sacd.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 82
El Sombrero de Tres Picos!! Is that 2ch vinyl? I'd love to hear your review of the performance. Do you have any other versions to compare it to?

I have several versions, but not this one. It's one of my favorite pieces. I have a CD conducted by Dutoit, an MC SACD by Max Valdes, and an LP by Boulez. The Rafael Fruhbeck de Burgos on Angel is the best performance I've heard. I have that on LP & CD.

Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On (MoFi SACD)
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (MoFi SACD)

I think they sound glorious!

El Sombrero de Tres Picos!! Is that 2ch vinyl? I'd love to hear your review of the performance. Do you have any other versions to compare it to?
Only version I have. It's a stereo SHM-SACD. Lots of dynamic range in this.

COC- America's Volume Dealer - DVD-A
Queensryche - Tribe - DVD-A

Silverline winners (I hope!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back