What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this means that the amazing Alan Parson's surround mixes of Year of the Cat and Time Passages are now "out there". They deserve to be heard.

Had to steal a car to get it.

The fidelity on the Year of the Cat even beats the MoFi 1/2 speed master, although it has a bit less presence in the midrange and a less bright high end than on my moving coil. Piano and acoustic guitar is in the rears, drums, electric guitar, sax, bass and vocals in front. I can make out the lyrics like never before. Definitely the highlights of this disc.

Time Passages is a far less aggressive mix. Lots of reverb in the right rear. Strings and piano in the rear.

Where/how did you get a hold of the Mercedes disc?

Growing Pains - Billie Myers (DTS),
Act of Free Choice - David Bridie (M/C SACD).

SO grateful to LizardKing for the info on the David Bridie SACD! You da man! :D

Amon Tobin - Chaos Theory (Soundtrack) - DVD-A
Trapt - Trapt - DVD-A Dualdisc

Surround Yourself with Beethoven: Overture Leonore No.2, Symphony No.5 in C minor, Symphony No.6 in F major - Nimbus Records (4.0 Channel MLP DVD-A).

I've no idea what the performances are like or anything about the sound quality or surround mix either..

..but a curious thing I saw about this disc when I picked it up is that it says on the back cover it has a "UHJ Ambisonic" mix on the 2-channel PCM track..

..are the others in this Nimbus "Surrounded Yourself With" series all like this?

Are they any good?

I guess someone like Oxford Dickie would be able to fill me in on all this.. still I look forward to giving it a spin later.

JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH
THE FOUR GREAT TOCCATAS AND FUGUES
THE FOUR ANTIPHONAL ORGANS OF THE CATHEDRAL OF FREIBURG
PLAYED SIMULTANEOUSLY BY
E.POWER BIGGS

(M/C SACD) :eek:

(All in caps.. but I'm not shouting.. I'm squealing with delight.. I finally got this mutha..!!)

:woopie
:wave
:bounce :bounce :bounce
:yikes
:worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy :worthy
:p

Joe Walsh, "Analog Man". Great disc.

"Analoge Man" is an excellent album. There are at least 6 tracks that I can't stop playing. You can get the HiRez Stereo from HDTracks. I ran those files through SPEC, but did not get very good results. Still, I feel these tracks are far superior to his tracks on the Long Road to Eden Eagles release from a few year ago.

"Analoge Man" is an excellent album. There are at least 6 tracks that I can't stop playing. You can get the HiRez Stereo from HDTracks. I ran those files through SPEC, but did not get very good results. Still, I feel these tracks are far superior to his tracks on the Long Road to Eden Eagles release from a few year ago.

aww.. that's a shame SPEC didn't come up trumps :(

I'll still get the album anyway - rave reviews ahoy!

how's the sound quality & mastering sound to you on those HDTracks, Jon?

I noticed there's a vinyl release of this album, maybe some enterprising soul will do a needledrop.. ;)

talking of enterprising souls, I wonder if DKA is eyeing up this one for the future..

..or does SPEC not working out not bode well for what he does with these things too!? (pls forgive my ignorance! not really my thing!)

......how's the sound quality & mastering sound to you on those HDTracks, Jon?
.... I wonder if DKA is eyeing up this one for the future..

DKA is an EXPERT at SPEC, I am a kindergardner. If he could not do something with this, it can't be done. Some stereo mixes just do not decode well with extraction software. Not exactly sure why.

As for the HDTrack version, it sounds nice. Not sure if it sounds that much better than the CD. The CD does come with a video DVD that has Joe playing 3 songs from the album live on stage, and a little bit of a "making of" deal, which I happen to think makes the CD/DVD package well worth it.

You can also find those live concert videos on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back