What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Snapshots" (A Story Of First Loves And Second Chances) Original Soundtrack - Bob Zimmerman (Hybrid MultiCh SACD)

ypZ98Ky.jpeg

gDjYcRh.jpeg

You might also consider these Everest titles, 17 albums in all [EACH 2 disc sets totaling 34 discs] remastered by Bernie Grundman from two and three channel masters recorded on 35mm film: http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/81659/Various_Artists-HDAD_2496_24192_Everest_Set-HDAD_2496_24192

And these titles as well from Classic Records [some as low as $10 each]: http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/25/DVD_24/96

Thanks. I basically picked up that Classic Records Prokofiev/Rimsky because of the conversation between you, fredblue, and me a few weeks back. (It began with this post of Adam's.) Last night I finally got curious enough to do a little Googling and came up with this story about the start of MoFi's Vox reissue series and two interviews (Audio magazine,1994--hit the full-screen button in the "Issuu" reader; Analog Planet, 2010) with Marc Aubort, who was half of the engineering team (together with Joanna Nickrenz) responsible for those great recordings and many more. That's probably an old story for many of the classical fans here at QQ, but it was news to me. Nickrenz died in 2002; don't know if Aubort is still living.

Thanks. I basically picked up that Classic Records Prokofiev/Rimsky because of the conversation between you, fredblue, and me a few weeks back. (It began with this post of Adam's.) Last night I finally got curious enough to do a little Googling and came up with this story about the start of MoFi's Vox reissue series and two interviews (Audio magazine,1994--hit the full-screen button in the "Issuu" reader; Analog Planet, 2010) with Marc Aubort, who was half of the engineering team (together with Joanna Nickrenz) responsible for those great recordings and many more. That's probably an old story for many of the classical fans here at QQ, but it was news to me. Nickrenz died in 2002; don't know if Aubort is still living.

tbh I won't be bothering hunting down anymore of those MFSL Classical MultiCh SACDs if they are all ambient mixes, I'm more into the more active style surround mixes.

on a related tangent, was somewhat underwhelmed by the "big ambient" surround on that new DG Planets BD-A, I tried the DTS CD/Andre Previn version straight after and I found it more dynamic and immersive surround sound, oh well..

tbh I won't be bothering hunting down anymore of those MFSL Classical MultiCh SACDs if they are all ambient mixes, I'm more into the more active style surround mixes.

on a related tangent, was somewhat underwhelmed by the "big ambient" surround on that new DG Planets BD-A, I tried the DTS CD/Andre Previn version straight after and I found it more dynamic and immersive surround sound, oh well..

Sad to hear your impression of The Planets. Mine should be arriving any day. I expect it's a great recording/performance anyway, even if the surroundiness leaves something to be desired.

As for the MoFi's: the Ravels definitely have some discrete action in the rears, esp. Daphnis et Chloe.

Sad to hear your impression of The Planets. Mine should be arriving any day. I expect it's a great recording/performance anyway, even if the surroundiness leaves something to be desired.

As for the MoFi's: the Ravels definitely have some discrete action in the rears, esp. Daphnis et Chloe.

nothing wrong with the performance on the new BD-A.. but it seemed like there was more going on in Previn's rears and that did it for me.. also, there was a bright yet somehow flat (I realise that doesn't make sense but to me that's how it came across) sound to the BD-A.. it was worth getting for the Strauss Quad which sounded great.. but for the Planets I think I'll stick with the more surround-y rendition on the old DTS CD & DVD-A.

nothing wrong with the performance on the new BD-A.. but it seemed like there was more going on in Previn's rears and that did it for me.. also, there was a bright yet somehow flat (I realise that doesn't make sense but to me that's how it came across) sound to the BD-A.. it was worth getting for the Strauss Quad which sounded great.. but for the Planets I think I'll stick with the more surround-y rendition on the old DTS CD & DVD-A.

Or, Adam, you can stick with the Tomita version of the Planets which, while oh so gimmicky, is the ultra discrete version of the Holst classic:SB

As a side note, even though I don't have the surround master, all those Classic Record DVD~A VOX QS encoded discs sound absolutely luscious through my Meridian pre/pro's SUPER DSP mode including the Ravel and Gershwin ALL The Works for Orchestra.

That BIG ambience reminds me of those BIG hairdos of the late 60's and early 70's https://www.demilked.com/magazine/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/vintage-hairstyles-big-hair-1960s-5.jpg

Wonder if the carpet matched the drapes? YIKES!

Last edited:
JUST received my copy of the Planets/Also Sprach Zarathustra today from Deep Discount and popped in the RBCD. Steinberg's rendition of the Planets is EXQUISITE and the sonics are luscious. Cannot wait to hear the BD~A 4.0 on my main system. Unfortunately, due to health reasons, Steinberg's tenure with the Boston Symphony orchestra was short~lived but he was considered a top notch conductor.

I donno--I'm listening to it for the first time today, and I'm loving that "Big Ambience"! (So much hall echo in the rears on tracks like "Mars" that it's almost distracting.) I like actively mixed classical recordings too, rare as they are, and I'm often bored by lazily ambient concert-hall surround--and bewildered by those engineers who dogmatically insist that when you hear orchestral music live, you're not in the middle of the orchestra, so why would you want to hear a recording that put you there? Still, after reading the interviews with Marc Aubort that I posted about to another thread (here's one), I have that much more respect for people like him who pay attention to the acoustics of the hall and make crazy-good recordings with just two mics (or, for quad, four--or maybe six). Given what he could accomplish with minimal resources, I can understand why he didn't have much time for multi-mic'd, in-studio recordings with multiple takes and overdubs and all kinds of things doctored in post-production...

I donno--I'm listening to it for the first time today, and I'm loving that "Big Ambience"! (So much hall echo in the rears on tracks like "Mars" that it's almost distracting.) I like actively mixed classical recordings too, rare as they are, and I'm often bored by lazily ambient concert-hall surround--and bewildered by those engineers who dogmatically insist that when you hear orchestral music live, you're not in the middle of the orchestra, so why would you want to hear a recording that put you there? Still, after reading the interviews with Marc Aubort that I posted about to another thread (here's one), I have that much more respect for people like him who pay attention to the acoustics of the hall and make crazy-good recordings with just two mics (or, for quad, four--or maybe six). Given what he could accomplish with minimal resources, I can understand why he didn't have much time for multi-mic'd, in-studio recordings with multiple takes and overdubs and all kinds of things doctored in post-production...

do you have the DTS CD or DVD-A of Previn's Planets?

Last edited:
You might also consider these Everest titles, 17 albums in all [EACH 2 disc sets totaling 34 discs] remastered by Bernie Grundman from two and three channel masters recorded on 35mm film: http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/81659/Various_Artists-HDAD_2496_24192_Everest_Set-HDAD_2496_24192

And these titles as well from Classic Records [some as low as $10 each]: http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/25/DVD_24/96
The real deal to get was when they had 14 of the Classic Records DVDs for $30 TOTAL: http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/95732/Various_Artists-CDADCHDD_DVD_Sale_Set-DVD__CD (sadly no longer being sold).

Still waiting on my copy of the Steinberg Planets - Deep Discount sure isn't the quickest.

I did just get the 7-SACD recording of Mozart's Piano Sonatas though - I've wanted it for a while but it was always too expensive - Kimber Kable sold 3 sets for $70 on eBay and I got one. IsoMike Quad recordings released in 2010.

91M1HOKHlwL._SL500_.jpg

The Sound of Jazz 3ch SACD Count Basie, Lester Young, Ben Webster, Billie Holiday, Jo Jones, Coleman Hawkins, Henry "Red" Allen, Vic Dickenson, Pee Wee Russell; Gerry Mulligan, Thelonious Monk, and Jimmy Giuffre.

Six Wives of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman DVD-A/CD
The Myths and Legends of King Arthur - Rick Wakeman DVD-A/CD

Last edited:
The Sound of Jazz 3ch SACD Count Basie, Lester Young, Ben Webster, Billie Holiday, Jo Jones, Coleman Hawkins, Henry "Red" Allen, Vic Dickenson, Pee Wee Russell; Gerry Mulligan, Thelonious Monk, and Jimmy Giuffre.

Six Wives of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman DVD-A/CD
The Myths and Legends of King Arthur - Rick Wakeman DVD-A/CD

I thought The Sound of Jazz had great sonics and the title about a river and a train was a stand out. Am curious to know what you think when you have had a chance to listen.

Back