What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not yet but if i ever find one for sensible money i hope to have an American In Paris someday

Adam, it might be cheaper for you to be a BRIT in PARIS at the price AmazonUS is commanding for this title! :rocks

A few years ago, Classic Records released two HDAD DVD~A stereo titles Ravel: All the WORKS FOR ORCHESTRA and the Gershwin: ALL THE WORKS FOR ORCHESTRA as double discs from which the MoFi Gershwin single disc was culled and if I'm not mistaken they were QS encoded and sound simply ravishing on my system.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Re...Orchestra-DVD-A-DAD-1018-2-disc-/253277665083

If you enlarge the picture it will show a scan of what is contained on the Gershwin double HDAD discs, front/rear. If you can find one BUY IT!

Last edited:
The best I can do is furnish you with a list of ALL the MoFi SACD titles from HRAudio.Net. In scrolling through the titles, the 4.0 multis are pretty distinctive. I believe there were 8 in all

https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=1&keywords=Mobile+Fidelity&page=1

Note: All of these MoFi QUAD titles are out of print and some command outrageous prices. HRAudio.net does provide ordering links.

Much obliged. And you were right: they were easy to cull.
  • Ravel: Bolero, etc. (Skrowaczewski, Minnesota) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4002
  • Prokofiev: Ivan the Terrible (Slatkin, St. Louis) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4003
  • Mussorgsky: Orchestral Works (Slatkin, St. Louis) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4004
  • Holst: The Planets (Susskind, St. Louis) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4005
  • Smetana: Ma Vlast (Susskind, St. Louis) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4006
  • Gershwin: An American in Paris, etc. (Slatkin, St. Louis) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4007
  • Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe, etc. (Skrowaczewski, Minnesota) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4008
  • Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky, etc. (Slatkin, St. Louis) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4009
I'm guessing these were all originally on Vox Turnabout?

Much obliged. And you were right: they were easy to cull.
  • Ravel: Bolero, etc. (Skrowaczewski, Minnesota) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4002
  • Prokofiev: Ivan the Terrible (Slatkin, St. Louis) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4003
  • Mussorgsky: Orchestral Works (Slatkin, St. Louis) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4004
  • Holst: The Planets (Susskind, St. Louis) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4005
  • Smetana: Ma Vlast (Susskind, St. Louis) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4006
  • Gershwin: An American in Paris, etc. (Slatkin, St. Louis) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4007
  • Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe, etc. (Skrowaczewski, Minnesota) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4008
  • Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky, etc. (Slatkin, St. Louis) Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 4009
I'm guessing these were all originally on Vox Turnabout?

Yes, all were VOX/TURNABOUT titles and BTW, eBay CURRENTLY has the Classic Records HDAD stereo Planets [same used for the MoFi 4.0 disc], brand new for $29.95 + $4 s/h: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Records-DVD-A-Pictures-at-an-Exhibition-etc-St-Louis-Slatkin-DAD-1027/252747613474?_trkparms=aid=444000&algo=SOI.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=44040&meid=4573f3bcf225445ebb29663c62da2a0b&pid=100037&rk=4&rkt=12&mehot=lo&sd=253277665083&itm=252747613474&_trksid=p2047675.c100037.m2107

I do believe that the Vox/Turnabout discs were QS encoded and Classic Records utilized these masters for their stereo SACD so they should decode well utilizing your pre/pro's DSP surround mode.

Last edited:
Yes, all were VOX/TURNABOUT titles and BTW, eBay CURRENTLY has the Classic Records HDAD stereo Planets [same used for the MoFi 4.0 disc], brand new for $29.95 + $4 s/h: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Records-DVD-A-Pictures-at-an-Exhibition-etc-St-Louis-Slatkin-DAD-1027/252747613474?_trkparms=aid=444000&algo=SOI.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=44040&meid=4573f3bcf225445ebb29663c62da2a0b&pid=100037&rk=4&rkt=12&mehot=lo&sd=253277665083&itm=252747613474&_trksid=p2047675.c100037.m2107

I do believe that the Vox/Turnabout discs were QS encoded and Classic Records utilized these masters for their stereo SACD so they should decode well utilizing your pre/pro's DSP surround mode.

Looks like Acoustic Sounds still has Classic Records CDAD 1021 (which combined the MoFi/Vox Turnabout Nevsky with a Scheherezade that was also originally on Vox Turnabout--in quad--but never picked up by MoFi?) for $10--plus the usual exorbitant AS shipping:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/6..._Nevsky_Rimsky-Korsakov_Scheherazade-DVD_2496

So now you've got me thinking: do you suppose that the various Vox CD reissues of these titles--including, in some instances, some "Vox Box" compilations--also used those QS-encoded masters, making them "stealth" QSCDs? There are quite a few of those floating around out there at bargain-basement prices.

8195rH8YnOL._SL1500_.jpg

So now you've got me thinking: do you suppose that the various Vox CD reissues of these titles--including, in some instances, some "Vox Box" compilations--also used those QS-encoded masters, making them "stealth" QSCDs? There are quite a few of those floating around out there at bargain-basement prices.

Answering my own question: there are conflicting reports. The Classic Records DVDAs definitely retained the QS encoding. But according to this old thread, the CDs are maybe yes, maybe no. Mark Anderson's Surround Discography is equivocal.

Straight outta Watford!

Artie x 2:

8534k.jpg
8537k.jpg

I just received Breakaway also. Surprised it was Quad only until I read the background on its production. Nevertheless loving the AQ and of course the album itself, hearing content I never heard before on the CD.

Answering my own question: there are conflicting reports. The Classic Records DVDAs definitely retained the QS encoding. But according to this old thread, the CDs are maybe yes, maybe no. Mark Anderson's Surround Discography is equivocal.

I do recall during the early 70's QUAD 'revolution,' VOX released single inventory QS~encoded VOX boxes and single QS~encoded releases which had NO stereo counterparts. The problem was that VOX was a 'budget' label and the vinyl pressings were usually pretty atrocious with the irony being their team of recording engineers were considered top tier in their profession.

As was usual at the time, save for some Columbia/RCA/a few DGG* Classical Quad LP releases which were discrete, most [if not ALL] of these Vox Turnabout releases were ambient and if you play the many Classic Records V~T Stereo DVD~As and engage the DSP mode, they will reveal some excellent 'ambient' room filling sonics in the rears.

My two very favorite VOX QS~encoded boxes which, originally, were 3 disc LPs, were released by Classic Records on TWO HDAD DVD~A Stereo discs: Ravel: All the Works for Orchestra and Gershwin: All the Works for Orchestra which really sound truly spectacular if you can still find them at decent prices.

*DGG QUAD LPs were never commercially released in that format and have slowly recently been released by Pentatone as QUAD SACDs.

Last edited:
That's a shame. (How is it?)
Probably won't get to listen until next week. I'm expecting good sonics minimal surround usage, and hopefully higher levels than found on some of the other recent quad discs from them, which seemed to have been set to really low recording levels so they could do the transfer in one shot without overloads.

That's a shame. (How is it?)
Probably won't get to listen until next week. I'm expecting good sonics minimal surround usage, and hopefully higher levels than found on some of the other recent quad discs from them, which seemed to have been set to really low recording levels so they could do the transfer in one shot without overloads.

Thanks for the info. Went ahead and ordered all the Beethovens on Amazon.

Well, this one's cheating a little: Prokofiev, Alexander Nevsky (Saint Louis SO, Slatkin) + Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade (Saint Louis SO, Semkow). Classic Records DAD 1021, 1998. 96/24 DVD-A.

Cheating because it's QS-encoded, unlike the discrete 4.0 MFSL SACD reissues of those old Vox Candide & Turnabout quads. But MoFi never got around to Scheherazade. So: thanks, Seattle Goodwill!

I don't have a Sansui or a SurroundMaster, so I'm limited to the "Dolby Surround" setting on my AVR, which isn't a perfect decode, I know. Not all of those Voxes were boringly/faintly ambient-only in the rears, although I know from hearing the SACD transfer that Nevsky was. But because Dolby Surround spreads things around so much, I can't tell what the real story is with Scheherazade. Sounds nice, though, otherwise. This is my first "Classic" DVD, and I understand why they're so well regarded.

s-l1600.jpg

Mebbe it just seems that long.

Apparently it's always been popular with the public, but the critics didn't go for it initially. The liner notes relate that "[a]s late as 1897, the Brahmin music critic of the Boston Herald could still growl, 'If the fair and ingenious Scheherazade related her stories as confusedly and unmeaningly, not to say cacophonously, as the composer has related them musically, the sultan would have ordered her to be bowstrung or to have her head lopped off after the second or third night....'"

Well, this one's cheating a little: Prokofiev, Alexander Nevsky (Saint Louis SO, Slatkin) + Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade (Saint Louis SO, Semkow). Classic Records DAD 1021, 1998. 96/24 DVD-A.

Cheating because it's QS-encoded, unlike the discrete 4.0 MFSL SACD reissues of those old Vox Candide & Turnabout quads. But MoFi never got around to Scheherazade. So: thanks, Seattle Goodwill!

I don't have a Sansui or a SurroundMaster, so I'm limited to the "Dolby Surround" setting on my AVR, which isn't a perfect decode, I know. Not all of those Voxes were boringly/faintly ambient-only in the rears, although I know from hearing the SACD transfer that Nevsky was. But because Dolby Surround spreads things around so much, I can't tell what the real story is with Scheherazade. Sounds nice, though, otherwise. This is my first "Classic" DVD, and I understand why they're so well regarded.

s-l1600.jpg

You might also consider these Everest titles, 17 albums in all [EACH 2 disc sets totaling 34 discs] remastered by Bernie Grundman from two and three channel masters recorded on 35mm film: http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/81659/Various_Artists-HDAD_2496_24192_Everest_Set-HDAD_2496_24192

And these titles as well from Classic Records [some as low as $10 each]: http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/25/DVD_24/96

Back