What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colors of the Day - Judy Collins SACD 4.0

View attachment 24049

Muscle of Love - Alice Cooper SACD 4.0

View attachment 24050

I have both of these on CD-4 LP's. Perhaps I need to a/b Alice, but it sounds muddy to me.

Steve's mastering can be what is described as "warmer" than original mastering on rock LPs and CDs. Sometimes even sounding duller than what is expected. I was fearing that this album would lose it's bright punchy sound on this reissue due to his desire to warm it up some. I hope it is not extremely warmer to the point of muddiness.

Caroline Henderson Don't Explain sacd. So far only listened to the cd layer at work and songs 7 and 8 are unlistenable due to a pressing defect, so Im afraid the mc layer is going to be screwed too.

Never played the rebook but iirc no problem with the MultiCh which have definitely played.. will double check and get back to you tomorrow.

image.jpg

Thanks FredBlue,

Played the mc sad layer at home and there is a defect there too. As expected different songs affected. On the cd layer I was able to burn MP3s of all songs except 8 and 9. On the sacd it stops playing in song 6 and I have to skip ahead to play the rest after song 8. Too bad this is very nice lounge type jazz singing with great clarity if not an aggressive mix and its an expensive sacd to to get. So do I return it to amazon or keep it with the defect......

Thanks FredBlue,

Played the mc sad layer at home and there is a defect there too. As expected different songs affected. On the cd layer I was able to burn MP3s of all songs except 8 and 9. On the sacd it stops playing in song 6 and I have to skip ahead to play the rest after song 8. Too bad this is very nice lounge type jazz singing with great clarity if not an aggressive mix and its an expensive sacd to to get. So do I return it to amazon or keep it with the defect......

Ah, that is.. annoying.. :(

I've not been able to tear myself away from a hot Surround Master, sorry :eek: ..but I will test this one out as soon as I do, I promise
(I'm pretty sure testing will be academic anyway as if it hadn't have played alright back when I got it I would have no doubt spouted off about it on here at some point like I did with things like the Born/At The End Of The Day SACD or the Fury In The Slaughterhouse SACD that was new/sealed and are others that are rare and pricey usually which just would not play in surround no matter what but they were cheap so I just left it, life's too short to waste time on obscure SACDs that won't play! :D )

fwiw I would say if you got it cheap then hang onto it but if you paid a lot for it maybe send it back and hang tight for another copy?

Did you get it new/sealed or used?

As my last attempt to beat a dead horse here I have found that by switching to SACD stereo I can play the three songs that wont play on the mc layer...... Probably makes this a more valuable disc on the steve Hoffman forum though. This was a used disc I paid around $15 so Ill just keep it. A weird pressing defect to be sure.

As my last attempt to beat a dead horse here I have found that by switching to SACD stereo I can play the three songs that wont play on the mc layer...... Probably makes this a more valuable disc on the steve Hoffman forum though. This was a used disc I paid around $15 so Ill just keep it. A weird pressing defect to be sure.

Interesting.. I see you have an Oppo 970 and an SACD-capable PS3 listed in your profile here, have you tried it out on both machines?

(Still chained to a hot surround master btw, so haven't double checked, sorry.. :eek: ..but like I said previously if it didn't play in surround at least on one of my machines I would have kicked off here about it already, no doubt! :D )

Oops, need to update my profile I'm now using an oppo 95. The PS3 is only set up for stereo since Im using legacy quad receiver cant connect to it other than in stereo. I found some discs, noticeably Bowies Heathen that would not play on the 970 now play on the oppo 95. I can see a little discoloration on my disc that is not on the surface so this isn't a software issue.
Keep enjoying your surround master!

Oops, need to update my profile I'm now using an oppo 95. The PS3 is only set up for stereo since Im using legacy quad receiver cant connect to it other than in stereo. I found some discs, noticeably Bowies Heathen that would not play on the 970 now play on the oppo 95. I can see a little discoloration on my disc that is not on the surface so this isn't a software issue.
Keep enjoying your surround master!

Ah! The joys of SACD huh..? :D
(I wonder how long before many of them "go bad".. :eek: .. :popcorn )

Ah! The joys of SACD huh..? :D
(I wonder how long before many of them "go bad".. :eek: .. :popcorn )

Shush yo mouth...no way Jose...ain't going thru that whole laser rot thingy again...ain't happening bro...no freaking way Freddie and the Dreamers...not AGAIN in this lifetime..I paid my dues once:nuke...I love the smell of napalm in the morning but I don't eat the yellow snow cause that's where the Huskies go:walker

Shush yo mouth...no way Jose...ain't going thru that whole laser rot thingy again...ain't happening bro...no freaking way Freddie and the Dreamers...not AGAIN in this lifetime..I paid my dues once:nuke...I love the smell of napalm in the morning but I don't eat the yellow snow cause that's where the Huskies go:walker

Too late baby now it's too late.. it's already happening.. there are some crappily made old SACDs that are already totally unplayable.. I'll do a little list of those I have had to get multiple copies of just to get a copy that would play.. :eek:

Thanks, Oxenholme!

Those look very intriguing! I am a huge fan of ARS Produktion's SACDs.

Another wonderful surround recording of theirs is

"Pictures - die 12 pianisten, Karlsruher Schlagzeug Ensemble" which includes an fantastic piano arrangement of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. The surround mix is über discrete...completely immersive with excellent fidelity!

View attachment 23873

View attachment 23874

Thank you for mentioning this, Lute. I ordered it immediately, and it is really good! Not at all gimmicky as one could suspect reading that there are flowerpots and else strange things are used as music instruments. Sound and surround mix are great, so I really enjoy this much more than I expected!

image.jpg
A very special album for me. The whole sob story is in some thread or other. The friend who sent me this album (while I was in basic training in the military???) is recently departed. I'll be spinning it in his honor, wishing he could have heard it.

Back