What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
002.JPGIt only took 9 days to get it from Burning Shed....

image.jpg
How's the Telemann, Lute?

These are beautiful, elegant sonatas for violin and basso continuo (cello and harpsichord). Telemann wrote music of the highest order...and lots of it. Just like Mozart, he was a very prolific composer and people wonder how he could have written so much. His style is less flamboyant than say...Vivaldi. Telemann preferred the graceful French style. But, he also loved folk music. These sonatas contain several lively dances & gigues. Stephan Schardt gives delightful performances of them. Some listeners might want a little more improvisation as this ensemble stays close to the score. But, I enjoyed their music making very much. Rear channels provide only ambiance. The sound is warm and well balanced. Recommended!

I ordered mine about a month in advance from Amazon, and they can't even give me an estimate yet of when they'll get it to me. Nice to get a look at it, though. Is that a mini-LP gatefold that it comes in?

Hey man - I did the same...but cancelled my original Amazon order...then turned around and ordered from one of Amazons third parties...and it ships on Monday. So...maybe you should do the same...

Hey man - I did the same...but cancelled my original Amazon order...then turned around and ordered from one of Amazons third parties...and it ships on Monday. So...maybe you should do the same...

Yeah, I've been sitting here trying to decide on an alternative. Still waiting on the re-press for the BS&T disc also. It's all hurry up and wait...

I ordered mine about a month in advance from Amazon, and they can't even give me an estimate yet of when they'll get it to me. Nice to get a look at it, though. Is that a mini-LP gatefold that it comes in?

It consists of a clamshell box with 3 separate cardboard album sleeves(bonus tracks CD...stereo remaster CD...DVD 5.1 surround)...a 23 page liner notes booklet...and a poster...I will take some pictures tomorrow...I can't get good results in artificial light with this camera...I do like the fact that it has separate album sleeves...unlike some of these designs that you know will fall apart as time marches on...with the clamshell box to store the sleeves it's a well thought out arrangement...without going overboard...which I like..

It consists of a clamshell box with 3 separate cardboard album sleeves(bonus tracks CD...stereo remaster CD...DVD 5.1 surround)...a 23 page liner notes booklet...and a poster...I will take some pictures tomorrow...I can't get good results in artificial light with this camera...I do like the fact that it has separate album sleeves...unlike some of these designs that you know will fall apart as time marches on...with the clamshell box to store the sleeves it's a well thought out arrangement...without going overboard...which I like..

The only thing I don't like is the cardboard sleeves for the discs....

The only thing I don't like is the cardboard sleeves for the discs....

Actually I prefer them to the "spines" approach holding the disc...I put my surround discs in a plastic double DVD-type holder when I get them anyway and preserve the cardboard sleeves in plastic...I'm not a fashionista and try to keep them pristine...in case I get tired of them or make a mistake and buy one I don't like I can re-sell them in great condition...

001.JPG

Here is the overall package..top right is the poster..top center is the clamshell box..top left is the 23 page booklet...you can see the bottom row has the disc sleeves...the red symbol on the bottom right of each sleeve indicates the disc(DVD 3..Disc 2 which is bonus tracks...Disc 3 the stereo remaster)

Clint Eastwood; Here is the overall package..top right is the poster..top center is the clamshell box..top left is the 23 page booklet...you can see the bottom row has the disc sleeves...the red symbol on the bottom right of each sleeve indicates the disc(DVD 3..Disc 2 which is bonus tracks...Disc 3 the stereo remaster)[/QUOTE said:
Its a nice set isn't it. The package is similar to the Hawkwind Warrior On The Edge Of Time 3 disc edition. Have you listened to it yet? I've heard it a few times, its an excellent surround release, well worth getting.

Its a nice set isn't it. The package is similar to the Hawkwind Warrior On The Edge Of Time 3 disc edition. Have you listened to it yet? I've heard it a few times, its an excellent surround release, well worth getting.

For a 3 disc set this is how I like it packaged....as a disclaimer I am one who doesn't want all the books/band photos and extras...I just want the music...this little 23 page booklet is fine..poster doesn't do much but it's not taking up much space and with the clamshell box it all fits neatly inside...

I'm just listenting to it for the first time..I'm on song 3 and the sound quality is excellent so far...I've never heard this music before...so the content is going to take some time to absorb...

I just finished with The Geese And The Ghost...the sound quality is excellent...but for me I'm afraid the content just doesn't strike a cord..YET...this might be a dust collector...it was more of background music for me on the first spin...some of the multi layered progressive music has that effect on me...I will see what happens on more listens...

View attachment 17804

Here is the overall package..top right is the poster..top center is the clamshell box..top left is the 23 page booklet...you can see the bottom row has the disc sleeves...the red symbol on the bottom right of each sleeve indicates the disc(DVD 3..Disc 2 which is bonus tracks...Disc 3 the stereo remaster)

Thanks very much for the additional photos - that's definitely a great looking set. Lots of nice artwork there. I've got to say I was pretty shocked to read that you hadn't even heard the music before you bought it. I've always been a big fan of Anthony's playing, beginning when I first heard Trespass by Genesis about 30 years ago. For me, this album gives an indication of what Genesis may have sounded like, to a degree, if he'd never left the band. I've got about 8 or 9 of his albums, but this is the definitive one for me.

Thanks very much for the additional photos - that's definitely a great looking set. Lots of nice artwork there. I've got to say I was pretty shocked to read that you hadn't even heard the music before you bought it. I've always been a big fan of Anthony's playing, beginning when I first heard Trespass by Genesis about 30 years ago. For me, this album gives an indication of what Genesis may have sounded like, to a degree, if he'd never left the band. I've got about 8 or 9 of his albums, but this is the definitive one for me.

This was mid 70's music...back in that time period I wouldn't have even considered music like this...I was late to embrace the Beatles and was still loving the 60's bands and of course the 70's were pretty much loaded with great bands too...this was way too mellow for me "back in the day"...I've been "late to the party" with a lot of bands...but you must realize all the bands from the 60's and 70's...IMO the most prolific period in music ever...I really didn't get into Genesis until the mid to late 80's..I must tell you that I'm not a big progressive music fan...I pick my spots within that genre...my background is rock based...but over the years I have gone thru periods like Disco...jazz...blues...soul music(big Motown lover)...and now I have expanded my range considerably..

This was mid 70's music...back in that time period I wouldn't have even considered music like this...I was late to embrace the Beatles and was still loving the 60's bands and of course the 70's were pretty much loaded with great bands too...this was way too mellow for me "back in the day"...I've been "late to the party" with a lot of bands...but you must realize all the bands from the 60's and 70's...IMO the most prolific period in music ever...I really didn't get into Genesis until the mid to late 80's..I must tell you that I'm not a big progressive music fan...I pick my spots within that genre...my background is rock based...but over the years I have gone thru periods like Disco...jazz...blues...soul music(big Motown lover)...and now I have expanded my range considerably..

my brother from a different mother...lol

Back