Who will replace Oppo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious to know why you want a new Oppo. What disks will you play on it? Is it because you like handling the disks, or do you feel the Oppo performs better, or is it something else?
Sure.
Why OPPO.
Well it's always been THE premium hardware disc player, even the lower priced units. (when they existed I mean) Plus who doesn't love new hardware?
What discs will I play.
Same as now, except also 4K. So, CD/SACD/DVD/DVDA/DTS/BD
Do I like handling the discs.
Yes. Probably comes from starting out in a time when only records existed, and Album cover art/liner notes were appreciated.

I don't think you will have to buy a bigger house due to disc storage...because they won't be selling very many new ones(cds) in the future:) I was in my local Best Buy recently and I asked an employee where the music section was...and he said "oh the vinyl is over there"....when I asked about cds...he wasn't sure...so I did find them...and all that was left was about 50 or 60...and I was told once they were gone...there wouldn't be anymore...

Minneapolis Star-Tribune news story:
http://www.startribune.com/best-buy-relegating-cds-to-bargain-bins-as-sales-dwindle/488848341/

Best Buy relegating CDs to bargain bins as sales dwindle
CDs are on their way out at the nation's largest retailers.
But some audiophiles and enthusiasts hang on to them.
And they're about half of the revenue at stores like Electric Fetus in Minneapolis.

I've never tried, but I read about people using those Pi's all the time.

Yes. I use them with added high-quality S/PDIF or analog output cards and they're fantastic for streaming stereo PCM up to 192k as well as DTS, AC-3 and server-transcoded DSD. But I've never been able to get them to work reliably with multichannel FLAC via HDMI. It seems like many others have the same problem and the common denominator is usually that they're trying to feed an Onkyo. It's just weird because neither of my Onkyos have trouble with any other HDMI source, but they have a tendency to drop out with any of the last several iterations of the Pi. Fortunately, the still-cheap Odroid C2 works fine.

I have about 700 disks all together.

At the moment, Logitech Media Server is reporting:

Code:
Total Tracks: 109,137
Total Albums: 9,189
Total Artists: 19,103
Total Genres: 274
Total Playing Time: 7996:31:24

For a bunch of boring reasons, the album count is inflated, but still...

That is the big advantage for me. The instant change from this album to that one without missing a beat or digging out a disk, or putting them away again.

"Hey, this song reminds of this other song. I think I'll put it in the queue next!" Though I think the biggest advantage for me was with songs that are on compilations. I no longer have to remember which one or search through the shelves! The shelves are no longer all easy to get to, either, which meant that parts of the library were likely to get ignored.

Last night me and the Mrs listened to selections from Meatloaf (BOOH stereo and MC, to compare PBTDL), Dire Straits, Bob Seger, Alan Parsons, and finished up with some 5.1 Van Morrison. A few selections from each, all in an hour before dinner, all with on screen lyrics. I could never do that like that with disks.

You're obviously using a system that makes it easy to mix and match 2.0 and up material. I know I could technically do that with Kodi, but with a big stereo library it's easier to manage stereo with LMS and multichannel with Kodi (or even just with SMB to feed an Oppo).

EDIT: I was reminded that I also played selections from Berlin and Timbuck 3,,, Remember them? The Futures So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades :phones
They had an attitude problem. I approve!

A lot towns don't even have record stores anymore:(..glad to hear it's a good one(y)
Boy, ain't that the truth. I haven't personally been in one in more years than I can recall (more than 10 years for sure!) But that's life in the boonies.
Probably is still some kind of at least used record store in Gainesville, about 85 mi away.

Boy, ain't that the truth. I haven't personally been in one in more years than I can recall (more than 10 years for sure!) But that's life in the boonies.
Probably is still some kind of at least used record store in Gainesville, about 85 mi away.

You mentioned Gainesville...you can usually find a record store near a college campus:cool:

At the moment, Logitech Media Server is reporting:

Code:
Total Tracks: 109,137
Total Albums: 9,189
Total Artists: 19,103
Total Genres: 274
Total Playing Time: 7996:31:24

For a bunch of boring reasons, the album count is inflated, but still...

That is a SHEEET-LOAD of recordings... Wow. I mean yes, I have more music files than would fit on 700 disks, so maybe 800/900 albums of music total, but 9000 albums... how much is it inflated by? You've got almost 2x as many artists than albums... That's gotta be a lot of compilations. I'll bet I don't have a dozen compilations in my whole collection.

"Hey, this song reminds of this other song. I think I'll put it in the queue next!" Though I think the biggest advantage for me was with songs that are on compilations. I no longer have to remember which one or search through the shelves! The shelves are no longer all easy to get to, either, which meant that parts of the library were likely to get ignored.

Yes you have very much nailed it. Play this.... I think this version is better... the guy who produced this also produced this... then there is the whole stereo vs surround thing.. that chorus remind me of this... they all get played at my whim.

You're obviously using a system that makes it easy to mix and match 2.0 and up material. I know I could technically do that with Kodi, but with a big stereo library it's easier to manage stereo with LMS and multichannel with Kodi (or even just with SMB to feed an Oppo).

I use Kodi everywhere in the house. The file storage is set up with stereo files in one directory and MC files in another. I select both directories as music sources for my main system that can play MC. All other systems in the house are stereo and only the stereo directory is set as a source for those systems. When I tag the albums I set the album titles to read like TITLE (2.0) and TITLE (5.1). Then in the surround system both albums show up in the library right next to each other. just choose which version to listen to. Kodi and the Pre Pro just adjust the channels on the fly.

You mentioned Gainesville...you can usually find a record store near a college campus:cool:
Theres a pretty big SUNY campus in Buffalo NY here not to mention 5 other public and private schools, and the last real record store in the area folded its tent about a year ago. We have hole in the wall places that mostly deal in used vinyl ... but they aren't real record stores.

Theres a pretty big SUNY campus in Buffalo NY here not to mention 5 other public and private schools, and the last real record store in the area folded its tent about a year ago. We have hole in the wall places that mostly deal in used vinyl ... but they aren't real record stores.

Good thing I used "usually" in that post...or I would have been toast..hehe….I don't know if they are "hole in the wall" types...but here are some

Good thing I used "usually" in that post...or I would have been toast..hehe….I don't know if they are "hole in the wall" types...but here are some
Of the ones that actually are record stores (a few aren't) they are all vinyl based, and they all specialize in used vinyl. My son buys his stuff at those places. He somehow caught a vinyl bug 5 years ago or so.

I 'sort of' see why it makes some sense for stores to still stock vinyl while dropping CDs. The CD market is the current hits and not much older while vinyl is all about the old hits and have a longer shelf life. Just my thought.

I 'sort of' see why it makes some sense for stores to still stock vinyl while dropping CDs. The CD market is the current hits and not much older while vinyl is all about the old hits and have a longer shelf life. Just my thought.

It's just a market trend...vinyl is rising and CDs are falling...bigger profit margin for vinyl..

Back