Why no center channel sound in multi channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnewt

What could be the problem? I have the center channel turned on in the dvd player setup (Pioneer 45A) & I selected multi channel in on the receiver. What gives? The center works correctly in digital, but not analog

bnewt said:
What could be the problem? I have the center channel turned on in the dvd player setup (Pioneer 45A) & I selected multi channel in on the receiver. What gives? The center works correctly in digital, but not analog

Have you tried a variety of hires discs?

Some have nothing mixed to the centre speaker which is intentional..

John the Depot Dude said:
Have you tried a variety of hires discs?

Some have nothing mixed to the centre speaker which is intentional..

Right. Try something like James Taylor's "Hourglass" Surround Sound SACD. That one has vocals mixed to the Center Speaker only. A good test.

That seems to be the problem. After I posted this, I inserted a dvd audio disc. Some of the songs produced a center channel, while others did not. I assumed that all sacd discs were recorded in 5.1, guess not.

bnewt said:
That seems to be the problem. After I posted this, I inserted a dvd audio disc. Some of the songs produced a center channel, while others did not. I assumed that all sacd discs were recorded in 5.1, guess not.

Well, it's much like the subject of how the surround channels are used - for ambience, for music or not at all. It's all up to the recording engineer and the artist.

Back