YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans 5.1 - Reality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tales is not a favorite for me, but neither are Relayer or CttE and I bought those...

I'm in. My personal hopes are for Drama and The Ladder. :confused:

"Homeworld" in 5.1 from The Ladder can be found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YES-Special...397369?hash=item3ab5ee5039:g:HqoAAOSwo0JWPUtU

ladder.jpg

I would love to hear these Tales in 5.1 as well, fact SW likes this album should make it a huge winner as SW sure did magic with KC's Lizard which was in a similar way to TFTO thought of as a inferior release or at least a misunderstood release.

Out of all albums in the known universe, the two that I would love to get a Steven Wilson surround mix for are Tales From Topographic Oceans and Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage. It almost broke my heart when I read that we might not be getting Tales, but I refuse to believe that.

There's no doubt in my mind if I would pick this up...YES to Yes

Instant purchase. Thanks. It says Homeworld is studio, but from House of Blues. Does that mean it appears in 5.1 on the House of Blues video as well?

It does appear as an extra on the HoB dvd- along w/ some videogame footage from a computer game that used the song. It's a 5.1 mix of the studio version, though only in DD. Of course, the live version appears in the main program.

TFTO has always been a special favorite of mine from the first time I listened to it, GROKKED it on the first run through, every bit as good as "Tull's TaaB" and "A Passion Play" or Nektar's "Remember the Future" for me. And it being the golden age of vinyl being able to read along with the lyrics and contemplate the incredible Roger dean artwork (I even recreated the cover in my art class at school and everyone thought it was really cool...until told them it was the cover to the latest YES album by Roger Dean...stares???? oh well...) gave me hours of enjoyment.

So count me in as I have been anticipating this more than any other potential YES 5.1 release, even more than CTTE which I absolutely love! So heave to me hearties, grab a ship and lets set sail to the Topographic Oceans until we hold this treasure in our grubby little 5.1 hands!

Also now Playing (with headphones) "Tales From Topographic Oceans" 24/96 FLAC vinyl rip which is the best version of it I have ever heard.

Along with Realyer, Tales is the album that would benefit the most from a remix. Relayer went from being my least favourite 70s Yes record (loved the music but couldn't get around the quality) to being my favourite. PLEASE DO TALES.

PS:

If they're holding up the reissue series it could be because of scheduling conflicts. It's on the grapevine that Rhino were pleased with the Progeny sales and are searching for live archive material. If we're going to get the complete Bruford shows or some '78 era material, for example, I'll gladly wait a few months to get Tales, provided it does come out. :)

I will certainly order Tales, if it will be available on DVD(-A).
Though I have to agree somewhat with Rick Wakeman that, in order to generate enough material for a double LP, there are some "filler" sections. But that's not very different from a lot of other albums.

If they're holding up the reissue series it could be because of scheduling conflicts. It's on the grapevine that Rhino were pleased with the Progeny sales and are searching for live archive material. If we're going to get the complete Bruford shows or some '78 era material, for example, I'll gladly wait a few months to get Tales, provided it does come out. :)

Like I have said before, I definitely think the release of "Progeny" was why we only got one "definitive edition" release this year from Yes (as opposed to the 2 we got last year)
As for this entire thread, I think a lot of people are blowing SW's comments out of proportion, all because he had a very poor choice of words.
So much can change between now and this time next year (which is when I still think the remixed edition of "Tales" will be released) plus we're dealing with Panegyric here, an independent label who absolutely cares about the surround constituency, as opposed to a major label like Universal (and speaking of them, I'm much more concerned about the release of any and all Roxy Music albums by them in surround than I am about Panegyric's decision to release or not release the remix of "Tales")

I would also direct everyone to this post I made in the "Fragile" thread to demonstrate how much things can change and why you can never predict or count something out too soon. Ymmv...

Yup, while maybe there is some cause for concern and while I'd like to see Tales come out, as has been pointed out - there is a nuance in the words that some may be missing - "no more scheduled" does not necessarily mean it won't happen. That said, showing little subtle enthusiasm to those involved might give them a nudge as long as it's not too over the top.

To expand on the thought a bit - I don't think anyone expected another J Tull release this year and now we are getting "Too Old.." before Christmas, and the Roxy Music 5.1 - been done for a while but "not scheduled" but nobody has said it isn't coming out. This stuff changes, sometimes quickly and sometimes slowly - Tales just may be one of the slower ones. Until those involved say "we are not proceeding with this one" I'd again sat don't panic. I would be nice though if they would come out and say "yeah, just not right away" or give us a clue as to the long term plan with this stuff (like Andy Does with the XTC albums)

Yup, while maybe there is some cause for concern and while I'd like to see Tales come out, as has been pointed out - there is a nuance in the words that some may be missing - "no more scheduled" does not necessarily mean it won't happen. That said, showing little subtle enthusiasm to those involved might give them a nudge as long as it's not too over the top.

Like Sid Smith? Cause apart from him, I'm not sure if anyone else involved in these reissues not already on and active through this forum is contactable.
Still, the good thing about this thread is that it does show enthusiasm for this album and the strong desire to have it released in this remixed and expanded form like the other reissues. We just can't seem too impatient and impractical, especially since "Fragile" has just been released. I myself am willing to wait until the end of 2016 before I really start the rabble-rousing… ;)

I think that they would like everyone to just enjoy the new Fragile released reissue right now.

Isn't is kind of restless to start moaning about "Tales" the day after "Fragile" is in the hands of listeners.

I mean of course people can do whatever they want to, but thinking about it from the other side of the table, it just seems impatient and a tad bit fussy or even pushy.

Last edited:
Like Sid Smith? Cause apart from him, I'm not sure if anyone else involved in these reissues not already on and active through this forum is contactable.
Still, the good thing about this thread is that it does show enthusiasm for this album and the strong desire to have it released in this remixed and expanded form like the other reissues. We just can't seem too impatient and impractical, especially since "Fragile" has just been released. I myself am willing to wait until the end of 2016 before I really start the rabble-rousing… ;)

Sid, yes...but I'd guess there are others that read the forum that are not active (or even) members at all. If so, I would also think that they know this is a specialized forum that may be more enthusiastic than the general market - though it may seem so sometimes in reality most these people are really not dummies - they're just dealing with the realities of their jobs and taking chances in the days of slowing physical sales makes some very cautious.

Don't give up hope, peeps! I once started a "Remix Vapor Trails" thread on a Rush board, thinking it was a pipe dream. It acquired hundreds of supporters and the album was remixed (though not in 5.1, unfortunately).
Who knows if the thread made an impact, but I'd bet it did! And this board definitely makes an impact in many ways...

Absotively want this released! Minor issues aside, this is a monumental recording that could potentially benefit greatly from a sonic overhaul. To my ears the original mix sounds rather cluttered and is somewhat lacking in brightness. A 5.1 placement of all that is going on (vocally and instrumentally) on these epic compositions would open things up greatly. I for one can't wait to hear this in full 5.1 glory.
Ritual in 5.1? Bring it on!

Back