YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans 5.1 - Reality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YIPPEE!!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-cruise-to-the-edge-2015/

Interesting read. Particularly this paragraph.

During their Q&A session, Yes opened up about the loss of their co-founder – and their resilience to carry forward. “What’s the point in not carrying on?” asked Steve Howe, while Sherwood talked about his emotional conversations with Squire, who encouraged him to take over the bass role. Elsewhere in the chat, Howe discussed a forthcoming 5.1 Steven Wilson remix of their divisive 1973 LP, Tales From Topographic Oceans, and praised late Yes co-founder/guitarist Peter Banks as a “great contributor” to the band and prog-rock.

I was in the Q&A session on the same cruise for PFM - and asked them if they had ambitions to re-release any of their works in 5.1. They seemed baffled by the idea! Perhaps Mr. Wilson isn't a fan of theirs.

BTW - there was very obvious nod to the late Chris Squire; immediately before the band took the stage, they placed Chris' bass in a stand in the center of the stage and projected images in memory of him. It was a tasteful homage and essentially addressed Chris' passing so they could get on with the show.

Perhaps they'll rename their 2017 (nothing scheduled for 2016) trip to "Cruise to Topographic Oceans"

Some more hopeful news on this, after another report from the Yes Q & A session, over at Yesfans:

"I was the one who posed the question on the Cruise. Interestingly enough, Steve initially stated that it (Tales in 5.1) was already out, but Jon K corrected him. Steve went on to say it was definitely coming because he had tweaked the final mix personally with Steve Wilson. Steve is a big fan of 5.1 and indicated that it was a way of taking Yes music into the future, however Alan not so such, indicated he preferred good ole stereo. The conversation went to further archival releases and Steve also said "there is plenty more in the vaults, so why not"."

Some more hopeful news on this, after another report from the Yes Q & A session, over at Yesfans:

"Steve is a big fan of 5.1 and indicated that it was a way of taking Yes music into the future, however Alan not so such, indicated he preferred good ole stereo."

Ugh.. :rolleyes: good job Alan W.'s not making the final decisions about 5.1 Yes.. but Steve Howe clearly is and he is clearly "one of us"! :wave

Didn't Jon Anderson say some positive things about surround in an interview recently too?

It would be interesting to start a new QQ thread listing all those artists who have expressed a liking for surround music at one time or another.. I'll do it later in the week if nobody else here fancies giving it a go?

Steve went on to say it was definitely coming because he had tweaked the final mix personally with Steve Wilson[/B]. Steve is a big fan of 5.1 and indicated that it was a way of taking Yes music into the future... the conversation went to further archival releases and Steve also said "there is plenty more in the vaults, so why not"."[/I]

plenty more??? for example:

1969 - YES
1969 - Time & A Word
1977 - Going For The One
1978 - Tormato
1980 - Drama
1984 - 90215

...not to mention all the live stuff. :spot

Great spot colsky, me lad! :friday:

Ok, I may be a wee bit biased, but "Tales" in 5.1 is gonna kinda redefine 5.1. Oh Baby! :nuke

This is NOT a good place to discuss the pros and cons of the current lineup of Yes and is instead a place to express our desires for the release of Steven Wilson's remixes of "Tales from Topographic Oceans".

Thanks rt: :sun

By the way....

Since Tales is such an extraordinarily ANTI-commercial, pure artistic dream of a recording, it is a TOTAL LONG SHOT to have it be remixed into 5.1. I have to think that Steven Wilson's admiration for Tales has A LOT to do with any eventual release.

Not surprised at all to learn that Alan White isn't a 5.1 fan. I've played guitar long enough to realize that performing & listening to music are two completely different things. Most world class musicians would not have enough free time to actually listen to music as a hobby like we do. However I do believe the power of a good system & a good 5.1 mix should persuade anybody given the chance. Maybe we need to invite Alan White over to one of our houses and whip out
some Captain Fantastic or Power & The Glory in 5.1 :51banana:

plenty more??? for example:

1969 - YES
1969 - Time & A Word
1977 - Going For The One
1978 - Tormato
1980 - Drama
1984 - 90215

...not to mention all the live stuff. :spot

Great spot colsky, me lad! :friday:

Ok, I may be a wee bit biased, but "Tales" in 5.1 is gonna kinda redefine 5.1. Oh Baby! :nuke

Even though some of these weren't "proposed" as surround versions...at one time in a galaxy far far away an idea was hatched to release some of these titles on SACD HERE

Even though some of these weren't "proposed" as surround versions...at one time in a galaxy far far away an idea was hatched to release some of these titles on SACD HERE

IIRC, those SACD issues had bad mastering, too much compression??? I recall Good Sir Plan9 giving us some good info. on those.
Also, I am always wary of any SACD release.... perhaps not using the orig. 2.0 master tapes. There is so much false presumption of what SACD does.
Many labels will put any tape on SACD and hope marketing sells a bunch of copies!

Garbage In = Garbage Out :slap:

IIRC, those SACD issues had bad mastering, too much compression??? I recall Good Sir Plan9 giving us some good info. on those.
Also, I am always wary of any SACD release.... perhaps not using the orig. 2.0 master tapes. There is so much false presumption of what SACD does.
Many labels will put any tape on SACD and hope marketing sells a bunch of copies!

Garbage In = Garbage Out :slap:

I was just mentioning that the "seeds" of those releases were planted...much like some of the Hong Kong(kick the can)releases that have "interesting" sources which aren't the master tapes...I too cast a weary eye toward the source material...but the "willingness" to release that music was my point...out of the vault and into our listening rooms:popcorn

Ugh.. :rolleyes: good job Alan W.'s not making the final decisions about 5.1 Yes.. but Steve Howe clearly is and he is clearly "one of us"! :wave

Didn't Jon Anderson say some positive things about surround in an interview recently too?

It would be interesting to start a new QQ thread listing all those artists who have expressed a liking for surround music at one time or another.. I'll do it later in the week if nobody else here fancies giving it a go?

Well as far as Yes goes, it seems to me like everyone of the classic members of Yes (except for Alan White) are into surround sound in one way or another. We have Quad mixes from Rick Wakeman, a 5.1 mix of Chris Squire's "Fish Out Of Water" waiting to be released, Steve Howe spearheading the 5 Yes remixes from Steven Wilson, positive comments about surround sound from Jon Anderson, and I believe that Bill Bruford has also spoken out positively about the Yes and King Crimson surround mixes.

If Ramshackled was Alan White's best chance for self expression, I think you're expecting too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Ramshackled was Alan White's best chance for self expression, I think you're expecting too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah, quite right! I don't think anyone will start a petition to have that album remixed in 5.1 :violin

Well as far as Yes goes, it seems to me like everyone of the classic members of Yes (except for Alan White) are into surround sound in one way or another. We have Quad mixes from Rick Wakeman, a 5.1 mix of Chris Squire's "Fish Out Of Water" waiting to be released, Steve Howe spearheading the 5 Yes remixes from Steven Wilson, positive comments about surround sound from Jon Anderson, and I believe that Bill Bruford has also spoken out positively about the Yes and King Crimson surround mixes.

Did I miss something? Is FOOW newly mixed in 5.1 and waiting to be released? :worthy

Did I miss something? Is FOOW newly mixed in 5.1 and waiting to be released? :worthy

It was mixed a few years ago in surround by Tim Weidner who did the original 5.1 mix of "Fragile" for DVDA, which makes me question how good it actually turned out. It clearly seems like most everyone on the forum largely prefers Steven Wilson's new surround of "Fragile" to the old one, so that in itself says a lot.

Hee! Poor Ramshackled - the Rodney Dangerfield of the hiatus solo album period. :rolleyes:

These two, on the other hand... (Oh please may the surround gods one day smile down upon us)

Olias.jpg Moraz_i.jpg

-- Jim, asleep, dreaming

Hee! Poor Ramshackled - the Rodney Dangerfield of the hiatus solo album period. :rolleyes:

These two, on the other hand... (Oh please may the surround gods one day smile down upon us)

View attachment 23207 View attachment 23208

-- Jim, asleep, dreaming

I really have no interest in "The Story Of I" (though I'm certainly not opposed to a surround release of it if others want it) but "Olias of Sunhillow" would indeed be cool. I can hear the Vangelis sound all over this album (even though it's just Jon performing everything) so much so that I see images of "Blade Runner" in my head occasionally while listening to it. :)

Yes, but the original 5.1 of Fragile was pretty highly regarded in it's time, wasn't it?
Seems there are divergent opinions on the earlier release even here at QQ. I put off buying the Warner SACD version because of negative reviews but ended up grabbing the DVD-A at a decent price just because. My biggest complaint, it's a bit on the loud side (not including Cans and Brahms, separate issue) and somewhat fatiguing at times. Album content itself is fantastic. Should I get the SW version?

Yes, but the original 5.1 of Fragile was pretty highly regarded in it's time, wasn't it?

Not by me! And looking back through the poll thread for the original 5.1 DVDA, reactions seem somewhat mixed.
But I still love how the new Blu-Ray disc gives us the option to listen to both 5.1 mixes. :)

Back