YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans 5.1 - Reality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't give up hope, peeps! I once started a "Remix Vapor Trails" thread on a Rush board, thinking it was a pipe dream. It acquired hundreds of supporters and the album was remixed (though not in 5.1, unfortunately).
Who knows if the thread made an impact, but I'd bet it did! And this board definitely makes an impact in many ways...

So you're responsible... Thanks, it really needed it!(y)

When Tales was first released, I was among the disappointed listeners. However, experiencing the live performance of the album (at the Montreal Forum) immediately opened my ears and my mind to the deep beauty of the work. Every listen since then "reveals" more wonder. I'm particularly fond of Wakeman's short foregrounded sections on "sides" one & two. Side three is the weakest to me and I've been looking forward to experiencing Steve's surround work which has elevated other albums before. After hearing his work on CttE, I've held off on listening to Tales to keep it fresher for multiple listens to the new mixes but my musical fast seems to have turned into a starvation diet. ;) The album has magnificent potential for a glorious immersive experience and we know Steve can deliver it. The new Fragile mix is superb!

As a major fan of CTTE I found Tales a major letdown. I'm am hoping a 5.1 mix will win me over finally.

As a major fan of CTTE I found Tales a major letdown. I'm am hoping a 5.1 mix will win me over finally.

I felt somewhat the same at the time, although to be fair, Close to the Edge was a hard act to follow to say the least. I've come to appreciate Tales a lot more in later years, and I'd definitely be queued up with cash in hand if any Steven Wilson treatment of this album would be made available. I hope it comes to pass.

-- Jim

...it really needed it!(y)

Undoubtedly! There is also an Andy Van Dette remastering of the original 2002 mix. It seems that very few fans know of its existence. It was included in The Atlantic Years hi-res download set for a brief time, before being replaced by the remix.
I feel that the density of the original mix really suits certain songs and the remaster removes so much damage and mud that it's actually listenable, most of the time.

It's an instant sale to me, and I can speak for a few friends that will buy it as well. Release the Tales!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

http://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ners-hi-res-collaboration#YMDC5b1bvMtR5S5C.97

Allow me to bring a little bit of light into this somewhat dark thread:
Mettler: Speaking of Vangelis, how cool would it be to get a surround sound version of [the 1981 Jon & Vangelis album] The Friends of Mr. Cairo?

Anderson: Oh my gosh, yeah! That was a wonderful project.

Mettler: Maybe we could get Steven Wilson to do that one. He’s certainly in tune with a lot of your material since he’s done a number of Yes albums in 5.1. I just had his 5.1 mix of Relayer (1974) on recently. “The Gates of Delirium” and “Sound Chaser” sound so good in surround, I have to say.

Anderson: I haven’t listened to that one yet, but it’s the kind of thing that “comes” to me. I’ll be sitting by the fire in my house in the mountains and I’ll say, “OK, I’m going to listen to that one and think about it very carefully in my head.” It’s perfect. Perfect sound.

Mettler: Wouldn’t you say that most, if not all of the music you’ve worked on throughout your life works really well in the surround sound format?

Anderson: That’s right. I had the idea very early on. When I listened to music in my house, I had four speakers, one in each corner. It wasn’t in surround sound then, but I wanted to fill the room. I didn’t like music “projected” at me.

Mettler: As we’ve said before, mono and stereo are man-made things. Life comes at us in 360 degrees.

Anderson: All of the time. We’re going to be watching movies without 3D glasses in the next couple of years. And reading that book [The Future of the Mind] will blow your mind.

Mettler: Word is that Tales From Topographic Oceans (1973) is coming in surround. That album was made for surround, wouldn’t you say?

Anderson: Totally made for that! Like “The Ancient (Giants Under the Sun).”

Mettler: Agreed! Well, I cant wait to hear all of Oceans that way. There does seem to be a renaissance surrounding Yes. Why do you think people are visiting and revisiting Yes now?

Anderson: Timing is everything. I write and record music that I know people will listen to for another 10 years, maybe more. It’s not “hip,” or commercially correct. Topographic wasn’t commercially correct, but it was the perfect timing for me because we had gained all these fans across the world, so I thought, “Why don’t we try something absolutely different than what’s going on in the business or on the radio? Let’s do something that’s new in world of music.”

There was a guy at the show last night who came up to me who must have been all of 18. And he said, “I just bought this last week — Tales From Topographic Oceans.” I said, “Well done.” (laughs) It was made with love, it was made with dreams, it was made with good energy. It’s not perfect, but that’s just what it was. Perfect for us.

Mettler: An album like that one opened your ears up and helped you realize there was more to music than just four on the floor. You could hear the possibilities.

Anderson: Yeah, yeah! That was the sort of logical concept of making something where if someone says, “Why did you do that?” I'd say, "Well, if we hadn’t have done that, we wouldn’t have done 'Awaken' [the pivotal track on 1977’s Going for the One]. Everything is stepping stones.

Posted: Nov 11, 2015
Mettler: Word is that Tales From Topographic Oceans (1973) is coming in surround.

Hmm... JA barely acknowledges the news and certainly does nothing to confirm it. I guess Tales in 5.1 must be a matter of National Security? Very Hush Hush...

Mr. Mettler wouldn't just make that up about Tales and he hopefully wouldn't bring outdated info. into an interview. Somebody in the know clearly told him the Tales tidbit right before the interview, I suppose.

IIRC correctly, in a Steve Howe interview in the Spring of 2015 the interviewer said: "Word is Fragile is coming in 5.1..." and Steve kinda answered around that statement....

Perhaps this is the first "official" Tales in 5.1 leak???

:yikes

Has anyone thought about this. The "Tales" is completed and just hasn't come out yet, which would mean that when Steven says he is "Done with doing YES albums going forward", he may be speaking the truth, but that does not mean we won't get "Tales" at some point.

To me, that makes the most sense.

Has anyone thought about this. The "Tales" is completed and just hasn't come out yet, which would mean that when Steven saysbhe is "Done with doing YES albums going forward", he may be speaking the truth, but that does not mean we won't get "Tales" at some point.

My hopeful side likes your thinking Jon.

It's really that simple.

The other side of the coin: IMAGINE = "I just read that TFTO didn't sell as many copies as they expected it to. They should have WAITED longer instead of releasing it so close to Fragile to give people more time."

#marketing

Lots of great replies here. Thanks for all the love. But now I will ask you:

How big is it? The size of your purchase that is. (y) For 5.1 releases that I consider so special I've bought multiple copies as I imagine many others do as well. I bought:

ELP - ELP (2)
ELP - Tarkus (2)
ELP - Trilogy (4) (I should have bought "three" right?)
Gentle Giant - Power & Glory (3)
etc...

But I think a Tales 5.1 release will break the bank.

I will be buying AT LEAST 5 copies and perhaps something closer to 10. Tales will be special indeed. So.

How many copies of Tales would you be buying?

Last edited:
Has anyone thought about this. The "Tales" is completed and just hasn't come out yet, which would mean that when Steven says he is "Done with doing YES albums going forward", he may be speaking the truth, but that does not mean we won't get "Tales" at some point.

That is a great point, Jon. I do think Steven Wilson is finished remixing Yes albums unless they either find more tapes for albums they want to remix and release in this expanded form and/or they see potential in remixing and reissuing other Yes albums based on sales.
I'm certainly not expecting anything else besides "Tales", but more remixes are certainly welcome if they feel like they would like to continue on! :)

It's really that simple.

The other side of the coin: IMAGINE = "I just read that TFTO didn't sell as many copies as they expected it to. They should have WAITED longer instead of releasing it so close to Fragile to give people more time."

#marketing

Another great point. I think the timing of all of these Yes-related releases is a big factor as to why the remix of "Tales" has not been released yet.
It seemed like the premise from the beginning was to release a remixed and expanded edition of a classic Yes album roughly every six months, and that was indeed how things were progressing until the release of the "Progeny" box in the Spring of this year. We may not have liked the fact that we had to wait a whole year to get this latest Yes remix, but Yes did themselves a favor by not releasing two archival releases on top of one another. We'll probably have to end up waiting until this time next year for the remix of "Tales" to be released, but it will most likely be worth the wait! :)

Lots of great replies here. Thanks for all the love. But now I will ask you:

How big is it? The size of your purchase that is. (y) For 5.1 releases that I consider so special I've bought multiple copies as I imagine many others do as well. I bought:

ELP - ELP (2)
ELP - Tarkus (2)
ELP - Triogy (4) (I should have bought "three" right?)
Gentle Giant - Power & Glory (3)
etc...

But I think a Tales 5.1 release will break the bank.

I will be buying AT LEAST 5 copies and perhaps something closer to 10. Tales will be special indeed. So.

How many copies of Tales would you be buying?

If/when it is released, I will buy 2, just like all of the other releases so far. One will be CD/Blu-Ray, and the other will be CD/DVD-A.

Not for nuthin, but Tales is definitely a "spring thaw" album for me. An early spring 2016 release would be seriously groovy. :smokin

-- Jim ain't lettin' the facts harsh his buzz.

[EDIT] Funny story (or not, heh): This one was released in December '73. At some point during the early months of '74, our local AM radio station played it in its entirety without commercial breaks (they did this with a different LP every week; it was a great way to make Sunday evenings a little less depressing). This is probably why I'm perennially drawn to it around February or March. Anyway, I wanted to record it on my crappy little portable mono cassette recorder, but I was out somewhere and missed most of it, so for quite awhile all I knew of this album was Side 4, which stands up fairly well on its own as it turns out. The rest of it has grown on me in subsequent years. :)

I wanna save Tales to see what alternates might have been unearthed! Loved the two working versions on the Rhino issue awhile back, and the third one that was widely circulated on a non-authentic CD.

YIPPEE!!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/yes-cruise-to-the-edge-2015/

Interesting read. Particularly this paragraph.

During their Q&A session, Yes opened up about the loss of their co-founder – and their resilience to carry forward. “What’s the point in not carrying on?” asked Steve Howe, while Sherwood talked about his emotional conversations with Squire, who encouraged him to take over the bass role. Elsewhere in the chat, Howe discussed a forthcoming 5.1 Steven Wilson remix of their divisive 1973 LP, Tales From Topographic Oceans, and praised late Yes co-founder/guitarist Peter Banks as a “great contributor” to the band and prog-rock.

The plot thickens!

@kayley: Thanks :music

"Howe discussed a forthcoming 5.1 Steven Wilson remix of their divisive 1973 LP, Tales From Topographic Oceans"

Although a fabulous nugget, I still won't get my hopes up until I can pre-order it. (y)

@kayley: Thanks :music

"Howe discussed a forthcoming 5.1 Steven Wilson remix of their divisive 1973 LP, Tales From Topographic Oceans"

Although a fabulous nugget, I still won't get my hopes up until I can pre-order it. (y)

They had no choice....you forced their hand....once you started this thread it was futile to resist...a little over 2 weeks and they have had enough pressure:walker...they never had a chance!

Back