Ziggy played 4 guitars with the band behind

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayards

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Received the SACD multi channel release of "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" yesterday. As I've been overseas, and only flew back yesterday, I've had my MP3 playing the stereo version for the past fortnight. I've been listening planning what the surround mix would be like.

First play late last night (had to keep it low) even though the original album had the words TO BE PLAYED AT MAXIMUM VOLUME (and it still says that). Thought it sounded a bit weedy - David's voice is placed in the centre of the 4 main speakers (ie not tied to the centre speaker). As I'd been flying for 9 1/2 hours went to bed and tried again this morning.

Cranked it up - it still sounds a tad weedy - lack of bass and no real punch (not apparent on my original RCA CD stereo version).

It's interesting to hear some of David's vocals away from the mix - he never was a brilliant singer (and I AM a fan - just honest!) - a little quavery. The opening song (Five years) has the drum intro spreading from the rear speakers and moving front and the echo on the voice is panned to the rear speakers - a nice effect (and one i'd anticpated when listening last week!).

The other songs fair OK - much use of the chorus line in the rear speakers (try the track "Star"), sax parts in the rear. I didn't notice any use of the centre channel - but I need to listen to it again.

Compared to the 2002 release of "Heathen" it's not a real demo piece. Nice to hear the music s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out - you certainly pick out individual instruments that would have been a bit swamped in stereo version. Some more balls and aggression would have been nice which SACD usually delivers. My recent purchase of "Up" by Gabriel (multi channel too) is just superb.

I'm pleased (it's one of my favourite albums) with it - just not bowled over. I'd certainly like to see more of his back catalogue re-mixed in 5.1 - perhaps Aladdin Sane next please - then The Man Who Sold the World - that should rock!

Roll on the multi channel release of "Reality" - a cracking stereo album by the way.

Aitch ;)

what's a "fortnight"? Building castles with sofa cushions? :)

good review, exactly my expectations, tho the 2 cd remaster sounds totally kickin' (I used it, actually, to test the stereo equip. in the cars I was test driving...)

Agreed, not going to sound like UP. However, at least DB is doing more 5.1 than PG is. Whoda thunk?

shark42 said:
what's a "fortnight"? Building castles with sofa cushions? :)

good review, exactly my expectations, tho the 2 cd remaster sounds totally kickin' (I used it, actually, to test the stereo equip. in the cars I was test driving...)

Agreed, not going to sound like UP. However, at least DB is doing more 5.1 than PG is. Whoda thunk?
Hello

A fortnight is 2 weeks - English expression used in England but guess not US. Hopefully all the Bowie back catalogue will get there one day - i'm still prepared to shell out (again!!).

H :D

Back