Eric Clapton Slowhand Super Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently, somebody said on the Steve Hoffman forum that the 5.1 mix on the DVD is exactly the same as the one released on the 2004 SACD. If that is 100% true, then I'm glad I passed on this box set, especially since that mix wasn't that great IMO anyway.
All of the CD content is available for streaming on Spotify as well.

I didn't buy it for the 5.1, which I expected to be the same mix as my SACD. I bought it for the unreleased stuff I don't have.

Apparently, somebody said on the Steve Hoffman forum that the 5.1 mix on the DVD is exactly the same as the one released on the 2004 SACD. If that is 100% true, then I'm glad I passed on this box set, especially since that mix wasn't that great IMO anyway.

got confirmation as well.
since there 2 set, i got free shipping, grand total for both $48.98+2.50GST
works out about 5 bucks per disc, really good deal.

would you be able to pass clearance bin in store which has this DVD-A @ $5, even if you already have one
and you know that actual price is at least 5 times higher, for title in this format? i had in past the moments,
when i passed and then regret it. damn, inspite of small renaissance for HIRez surround lately, those titles
still so scarce or overpriced to the death.

Has anyone here had a chance to compare the 5.1 from this set to the sacd?

Yes, IMO SACD is better. The DTS has been boosted in all channels to the point of brickwalling the front channels and is lacking in detail to my ears.

Yes, IMO SACD is better. The DTS has been boosted in all channels to the point of brickwalling the front channels and is lacking in detail to my ears.
So, it is not the same mix as the SACD? Is there no DVD-Audio but only DTS?

I bought this for the high-resolution stereo mix. Has anyone compared this to the stereo mix on the SACD? Mostly what I am looking for is more bass (like the old MFSL CD).

I bought this for the high-resolution stereo mix. Has anyone compared this to the stereo mix on the SACD? Mostly what I am looking for is more bass (like the old MFSL CD).

I haven't heard the MFSL CD, but I do think the Deluxe Edition 96/24 PCM stereo sounds better than the SACD. I prefer the surround mix myself, however, and unfortunately, the mastering on the Deluxe Edition is over compressed. The over-compression and lossy lower resolution hurts the detail IMO.

I'll just add I think the surround mix on the SACD gets a bum rap. After listening to the multiple mixes and versions today, I realized how much I enjoy the way the surround mix puts you in the middle of the songs. Nothing really adventurous, but you miss it when it isn't there.

Wow, that was fast. My order from Amazon.ca to Germany took a little less than 40 hours! Including customs handling. I paid approx. EUR 26 incl. express s/h with DHL. That's what I call good service at a bargain price. I guess they wanted to be sure it is delivered before the maja calander and therefore the world ends tomorrow 12/21/12 :)

On the backside there was a sticker saying "Disk made in Germany" :) It does not say more in detail, but there is a huge record production 50km from my home... Like the WYWH Sacd Slowhand made a travel from Germany to America and back.

Markus

A/B'ing them as I type this. The SACD is superior. They are the same mix. The bass is tighter on the SACD, but sounds more pronounced on the DVD-V. It was likely re-eq'ed and brickwalled to make it seem more solid for the lossy format. It is FAR from bad in DTS, but I'll be playing my SACD. I'll post later after I listen to Hammersmith and the bonus tracks, which are the REAL reasons I bought this set.

Thank God this arrived today, before the world ended. :banana:

61uwlzjE-sL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
41iQ5ZStmkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Has anyone here had a chance to compare the 5.1 from this set to the sacd?

Mine showed up today from amazon.ca. It was in a huge box, and in that box was another LP sized box that was well protected. Very nice.

Much Thanks to QQ Member 'All Ears' who found and posted the .ca deal with the box for such a good price. (y)

Based on the 5.1 reviews, mine remains sealed. Anyone listen to the LP yet? Is it 180 gm? Even for $34 Canadian delivered, it isn't a good value if I won't listen to it. I guess the live tracks might be fun...

Based on the 5.1 reviews, mine remains sealed. Anyone listen to the LP yet? Is it 180 gm? Even for $34 Canadian delivered, it isn't a good value if I won't listen to it. I guess the live tracks might be fun...

I hope I wasn't responsible for discouraging you from appreciating this mix in DTS. If you don't have the SACD, the DTS is certainly worth owning and hearing. And if you do have the SACD, the rest of the package is worth owning as well.

Here's pics of the waves. The first image is the DTS, the second is the DSD. As you can see, only the front channels are pushed to the wall on the DTS:

Attachments

• slowhandDTS.jpg
    slowhandDTS.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 232
  • slowhandDSD.jpg
    slowhandDSD.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 226
Mine was delivered to my tropical summer getaway in Alberta, (where's it's 5 degrees now - that's farenheit, not celsius!), but my wife wasn't home, so they didn't leave it. Heading up to the Great Frozen North tomorrow, so will retrieve it when I arrive.

Mine just arrived on the Central Coast of New South Wales. That's about 120 kMs from Sydney. Excellent service! Same big box. It does show what a professional company can be capable of in this day. Now, as soon as I finish eating my mango for breakfast I'll open it up. Is it cold where the rest of you are?

Back