Eric Clapton Slowhand Super Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....Hard to understand the mastering debacles of late eg Peter Mew. Maybe he is just past it? Lets hope for better with any further new releases.
Mew listens for guitars in music, then cranks up the EQ on whatever frequency range the guitars are in, totally destroying the sound in the process.

Hoffman listens for vocals and cranks those up, but it doesn't hurt the overall sound all that much. Mostly just kills off the bass.

Why can't we just have flat transfers, the way the artist recorded the music. That would be best.

The 2-channel high-resolution version in this set sounds excellent. Probably a flat transfer.

Well my SACD arrived yesterday so we were listening to it last night, just befor NYE, in quad. I thought it sounded very open and pretty good. A pretty laid back feel about the mix and album. I liked the backing vocals spread into the rears. Now I can listen to the mess it sounds they've made of the DVD to compare

the SACDs worth checking out in 5.1 too, there's some very nice EC vocals isolated in the centre :)

I am still in 2 minds about buying this box - the Canadian dollar is what to the £? Not that bad a rate....
Slowhand always used to be one of my favourite albums for all sorts of reasons, and I was seriously disappointed with the 5.1 SACD - it sounded kinda muddy to me after the superb 461 Ocean Boulevard (one of the best sounding SACD ever made along with the Roxy Music "Avalon" & Ferry's "Boys & Girls") it was a definite disapoointment, sonically. Maybe I should give it another try.
I think I will maybe order the box set anyway......such a glutton for punishment

totally with you, the Boys & Girls and the 461 OB SACDs are two of my all-time fave rock & pop titles on the format too, exceptional sound quality.

the 461 SACD (in M/C) knocks spots off every other version for me and I've at least half a dozen different mixes & masterings of that album, off the top of my head.

I would definitely give the Slowhand SACD another shot Neil. I reckon it benefits from a fair bit of cranking volume-wise, plus I notch the centre channel up about 0.5-1 dB.

Well maybe that is the case now but I know that you are also a serial offender Linda in buying things in multiple versions. Never mind the MFSL, DVDA, SACD, BD, quad etc. How many times have you bought some things on LP, RTR, CD, cassette, 8 track? We've been feeding these turkeys for years and they still hold us in contempt such that they can't even put reasonable quality control into place. Maybe it's the same old story of too many suits and insufficient enthusiasts among the ranks? Surely there are still lots of passionate people doing this work? Hard to understand the mastering debacles of late eg Peter Mew. Maybe he is just past it? Lets hope for better with any further new releases.

Peter Mew screws up practically everything he gets his hands on! He DECIMATED the Bowie back catalogue on CD for EMI's last set of remasters.. his work ain't called "Mew-tilations" for nothing!

He's notably over-zealous with hamfisted NR and heavy-handed with 3k EQ boosts, among other mastering "crimes".

He screwed up the Band on the Run DTS over 10 years ago.. his more recent balls up's with the TAAB mastering and the futzed channels on the TYA Quad are just the latest in a long run of disasters.. it's nothing new, he's been past it for sometime..!!!

btw , the MCH sounds EXACTLY like the SACD...same muddiness... oh well,,we get an LP and some extra cds....

I just noticed that , in the deadwax , it states..."half speed mastered"...can anybody elaborate(who did this , if they EQ'd it correctly , etc....or even if it's worth needledropping it)

Still less than 25 Euros , it IS a steal (in spite of the packaging coming apart and "unglueing" itself....weird packaging!!!)

I had not opened mine yet, but if the LP is 1/2 speed mastered I am now keeping it. Thanks for that bit of info.

Mine says 1/2 speed mastered also.

Sale priced again on amazon.ca, but not quite as cheap as last time.

I got this from Amazon.ca and wondered whether someone may be interested

Customers who have purchased or rated Slowhand: 35th Anniversary (Super Deluxe Edition Box Set) [3 CD + DVD + LP] by Eric Clapton might like to know that Skydog: The Duane Allman Retrospective (7 Disc Ltd Edition Box Set) will be released on March 12, 2013

Back