Eric Clapton Slowhand Super Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason(s) they brickwalled it are simple, either they thought it would sound "punchier" and/or they're stupid. I vote for "and."

So do we start whingeing now for a replacement? What is it with these morons? They should include a redemption slip in every one of these new releases for you to order the corrected version of the included DVD. It's beginning feel a lot like (not Christmas) no matter who does the surround disc, the only thing you can be certain of, is that it will be screwed up. I've read lots of people on here saying the SACD of Slowhand is less than spectacular but I've just ordered a copy so I can hear how my new DVD/DTS disc should sound. Quite a few of us nabbed a bargain with this one so thanks again "All Ears" but we shouldn't expect it to be defective. Even if that has become the norm

So do we start whingeing now for a replacement?

seems like those big label usually hiding from consumers. at least always very hard to find any kind of contact info.
was able to locate contact page to UK base for Universal Music with physical and internet contact info.
don't know how effective would be complain on individual basis. if anyone has an idea how to put it better, on the
bigger and more impressive scale which may do influence on the management in approach to the future similar releases,
would be great to hear it here. most of the times, collective thinking can bring to pretty good solutions.

Address
364–366
Kensington High Street
London W14 8NS

Telephone
+44 (0)20 7471 5000

Email
[email protected]

http://www.umusic.co.uk/who-we-are/contact-us

So do we start whingeing now for a replacement? What is it with these morons? They should include a redemption slip in every one of these new releases for you to order the corrected version of the included DVD. It's beginning feel a lot like (not Christmas) no matter who does the surround disc, the only thing you can be certain of, is that it will be screwed up. I've read lots of people on here saying the SACD of Slowhand is less than spectacular but I've just ordered a copy so I can hear how my new DVD/DTS disc should sound. Quite a few of us nabbed a bargain with this one so thanks again "All Ears" but we shouldn't expect it to be defective. Even if that has become the norm

the SACD of Slowhand isn't in my all-time top tier Hi-Rez Surround discs but it has more than its fair share of high spots and I recommend it - plus, its still cheap and easy to get :)

seems like those big label usually hiding from consumers. at least always very hard to find any kind of contact info.
was able to locate contact page to UK base for Universal Music with physical and internet contact info.
don't know how effective would be complain on individual basis. if anyone has an idea how to put it better, on the
bigger and more impressive scale which may do influence on the management in approach to the future similar releases,
would be great to hear it here. most of the times, collective thinking can bring to pretty good solutions.

Address
364–366
Kensington High Street
London W14 8NS

Telephone
+44 (0)20 7471 5000

Email
[email protected]

http://www.umusic.co.uk/who-we-are/contact-us

UMG's London offices are only about a 20 min walk from me, they're not hiding, they're very visible, on the corner of a junction of two busy main roads, with a big Universal globe/logo outside.. if I had the chutzpah I'd have strutted in there years ago and demanded answers as to why Universal cancelled the upcoming Elton 5.1 SACDs..!!!!!! :mad:

hm! that's a good hint. anyone from our QQ members at present is looking for job in US? UM (USA) at the moment
has open position for Director of Consumer Relationship Marketing. would be nice to have there our fella to lobby
for us and many others, who's not limited to iTunes and mp3 crap. :)
http://www.careers-umusic.com/umusic/jobboard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*B78C5691E261C010

sadly iTunes and mp3 crap are the order of the day and have been for some time :(

nowadays I know(*) literally only TWO people who take their music/movies even remotely seriously, who still buy actual physical media (and one of those is a huge Elton fan like me who "just has to have everything!" and the other a fellow 5.1/Quad-nut) everyone else I know is perfectly happy with iTunes and mp3 crap (and iPod earbuds and iPod docks and Bose systems..) and I'm seen as a dinosaur for still loving shiny discs and a room full of lovely big speakers..!!! :yikes

(* "know" as in know offline - and know well..!) :eek:

UMG's London offices are only about a 20 min walk from me, they're not hiding, they're very visible, on the corner of a junction of two busy main roads, with a big Universal globe/logo outside.. if I had the chutzpah I'd have strutted in there years ago and demanded answers as to why Universal cancelled the upcoming Elton 5.1 SACDs..!!!!!! :mad:

i can't fly to London, to physically beat crap out of those folks, who time and time again screwed up with releases.

what i meant, is that when you go to label's website, there aren't anything, where consumers can left their feedback,
opinions, sugestions, etc. in regards of the product, they had purchased from these particular labels. sort of - you can
eat what we feed you, other way get lost. seems like quite strange approach, particularly in the light of declining business
for these labels.

I am still in 2 minds about buying this box - the Canadian dollar is what to the £? Not that bad a rate....
Slowhand always used to be one of my favourite albums for all sorts of reasons, and I was seriously disappointed with the 5.1 SACD - it sounded kinda muddy to me after the superb 461 Ocean Boulevard (one of the best sounding SACD ever made along with the Roxy Music "Avalon" & Ferry's "Boys & Girls") it was a definite disapoointment, sonically. Maybe I should give it another try.
I think I will maybe order the box set anyway......such a glutton for punishment

Fellow QQ members. I have a spare, unopened that I will let go at cost. That is $34 US + shipping. I will mail with delivery confirmation in the USA. Outside the US, I will mail at exact cost, but with NO guarantees unless you insure! I will email you a photo of the post office receipt. Pm me if interested.

Trades also possible for DVD-A or SACD, but please look at my profile before offering me something I already have. It is not 100% up to date but close enough.

Check amazon.ca first, it is on sale again as of 28 Dec. Not sure how many times they will offer the reduced price.
Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
I've got to wonder about that $26.99 price. Could be a computer glitch of some kind. A corrupted key in a database maybe. Eventually they notice it and change it back to the correct price.

Still $26.99 at the moment.

I've got to wonder about that $26.99 price. Could be a computer glitch of some kind. A corrupted key in a database maybe. Eventually they notice it and change it back to the correct price.

Still $26.99 at the moment.

Could be a holiday sale. You never know.....

Cheers to "All Ears"(and another great member who pointed the fact to me) for the heads up...
whaddupwidat????(to quote an SNL recurring sketch)

Hey it's still VERY cheap (compared to the 99 EUROS they charge for this in Madrid's FNAC...shook my head when I saw it the other day...)

Mine shipped yesterday for $26.99 CDN + $6.99 CDN S&H !!!!! (to Spain! ...so I'm guessing the warehouse is over here, plenty times I've ordered from .com and the packages come from..France, Germany, etc....)
I'll keep you posted,
:cool:

Mine shipped yesterday for $26.99 CDN + $6.99 CDN S&H !!!!! (to Spain! ...so I'm guessing the warehouse is over here, plenty times I've ordered from .com and the packages come from..France, Germany, etc....)
I'll keep you posted,
:cool:

I also saw that often... but my Slowhand was really shipped DHL Express from Canada via USA to Germany (in less than 40 hours) for such low s/h.

Markus

Well my SACD arrived yesterday so we were listening to it last night, just befor NYE, in quad. I thought it sounded very open and pretty good. A pretty laid back feel about the mix and album. I liked the backing vocals spread into the rears. Now I can listen to the mess it sounds they've made of the DVD to compare

Now I can listen to the mess it sounds they've made of the DVD to compare

there aren't really mess, just sound louder and like DTS.
stereo isn't bad. as i pointed in another topic, the live performance (2xCD)
pretty nice. could be better if Polydor/UMG did place this live show onto DVD
as 5.1 or 96/24 stereo or both.

there aren't really mess, just sound louder and like DTS.

Well I don't really have a problem with DTS although I am committing a sin I think lots do. After seeing (not hearing) the waveforms posted earlier, there is no way I can approach hearing it with an open mind. Besides, listening to it it quad, there is no way I can compensate for the disparity in power between the front and rears and the centre channel would be totally buried I imagine? It would be nice if these things could just be done properly, with due care and respect to the much revered art that it is to us, most of the time. Unfortunately, of late it seems the norm is to screw up some part of what should be excellent releases

Well maybe that is the case now but I know that you are also a serial offender Linda in buying things in multiple versions. Never mind the MFSL, DVDA, SACD, BD, quad etc. How many times have you bought some things on LP, RTR, CD, cassette, 8 track? We've been feeding these turkeys for years and they still hold us in contempt such that they can't even put reasonable quality control into place. Maybe it's the same old story of too many suits and insufficient enthusiasts among the ranks? Surely there are still lots of passionate people doing this work? Hard to understand the mastering debacles of late eg Peter Mew. Maybe he is just past it? Lets hope for better with any further new releases.

Back