Eric Clapton Slowhand Super Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps that will come later.

The Hammersmith Show is excellent! Yvonne Elliman does a great job singing Can't Find My Way Home. Further on Up the Road may be Clapton's best version.

Linda,
When you get a chance to listen to it, I'd like your thoughts on the vinyl. That and the live stuff from Hammersmith may be good enough (for me) to justify keeping the set.
Regards,
Mike

Honestly, with all I own and literally hundreds of CD's I've yet to hear once, spinning this LP may not happen for a long time. I doubt I've spun the vinyl on any of these ultra deluxe boxes. Sorry.

Linda,
When you get a chance to listen to it, I'd like your thoughts on the vinyl. That and the live stuff from Hammersmith may be good enough (for me) to justify keeping the set.
Regards,
Mike

$26.99 on amazon.ca

Thanks for the heads-up. Just ordered it.

The Hammersmith is really the reason - I have the SACD and the MoFi vinyl - will compare the latter with this one. From what I've read, the 5.1 mixes are the same, with the new one a bit more 'forward' and compressed. Again, I'll compare and see.

One has to wonder what possesses someone to do such a thing?

I bet it will sound good on my iPod..... with the standard issue crappy bud earpieces!!! But wait its not a MP3 (or stereo) !!! :mad:@:

Received mine today. For some odd reason the thing is stuck and won't slide out all the way. Anyone else had this problem?

Selling pretty good on amazon.ca:

# Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

* #1 in Music > Blues
* #1 in Music > Rock
* #1 in Music > Pop

I hope I wasn't responsible for discouraging you from appreciating this mix in DTS. If you don't have the SACD, the DTS is certainly worth owning and hearing. And if you do have the SACD, the rest of the package is worth owning as well.

Here's pics of the waves. The first image is the DTS, the second is the DSD. As you can see, only the front channels are pushed to the wall on the DTS:

And this is the kind of thing that is causing surround to get a bad name as well.
Why? Because it will completely destroy the entire balance of the mix, as all of you with duff copies of the Tull TAAB disc will find out when you get the replacements with a flat transfer. Raising front channels by a disproportional level like that is almost a criminal act to my mind and I cannot even begin to guess at why this is happening.

I cannot even begin to guess at why this is happening.
that's i'm wondering too, what a freaking motivation behind of such effort to degrade already existing lossless audio
stream into DTS and on top of this, "improve" the sound by an extreme loudness manner?
after all it's a DVD carrier, destinated to be played on DVD capable gears and can't physically fit into iGadgets for listening
through earbuds exclusively.
i'm pretty sure, majority of iUsers wouldn't even know or care about this release, leaving alone they willingness to jump into
the line to buy it at such inflated price.

that's i'm wondering too, what a freaking motivation behind of such effort to degrade already existing lossless audio
stream into DTS and on top of this, "improve" the sound by an extreme loudness manner?

Can't answer for the brick wall, but the DTS is likely because no one makes DVD-A players anymore, apart from a couple of pricey universal BRs (in which case it would make more sense to release it as a BR).

Can't answer for the brick wall, but the DTS is likely because no one makes DVD-A players anymore, apart from a couple of pricey universal BRs (in which case it would make more sense to release it as a BR).

sure, but for DVD it's not a problem to be hybrid and include lossless surround mix as well, as lossy DTS/DD.
inclusion of HiRez 5.1 in no way can bother potential buyers without DVD-A capacities of their players as long,
as they are able to utilise DTS/DD audio streams. in fact production of such hybrid DVD-A isn't add much cost
but buyers would be more willing to get more for their buck, even if they can't use this at the moment.
as for BD-A, i have no problem to use but cost of production which is still more expensive than DVD, could be main
obstacle. actually, since all blu ray players capable to handle Dolby True HD, which in fact just an advanced version
of DVD-A format MLP coding, i wondering how hard and cost efficient would be for manufacturers to implement DVD-A
capacities into these blu ray machines, beside of other already implemented features like playback many different audio
and video formats other than mandatory for blu ray specs.

Hundreds of new DVD-Audio players are sold every day! Of course, they do require gasoline! :)

Back