DSotM underground DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I simply don't have enough time in my life to learn how to download and burn multi channel. It probably isn't brain surgery but at this point I would really be very appreciative if anyone could do me a solid favor and point me in the direction of where I could buy this (and maybe even the other Wish You Were Here mix I hear chat about). You can PM me or e-mail me and if you want to burn it for me, sell or trade it to me for whatever compensation is considered "O.K." I will be indebted.

Thanks,
Russ

I'm just listening to this mix for the first time, and I'm blown away. I have the SACD and was really impressed with it, but I had no idea how much different, and in most cases, superior Parsons' quad mix is. Us and Them in particular is an entirely new experience. Did anybody else notice that there are saxophone parts in it that are completely MISSING from all CD/SACD versions? I mean right before the vocals come in, there's a bit of sax play that I never heard before and that's definitely not present in the stereo or 5.1 mix. The echoes that go around the room are spectacular, too.

I also noticed, though, that at the end of "On the Run", some of the maniacal laughter is drowned out by the rising noise, or simply missing altogether.

All in all, Guthrie's mix, as many pointed out, is indeed less aggressive, and many elements are far in the background while in Parsons' mix, they are distinctly audible and at the forefront. One example is the line "I never said I was frightened of dying" in "The Great Gig in the Sky". On the SACD, it is floating around somewhere in space, in the quad, it's right there, loud and clear.

Listening to the SACD was like hearing the familiar material again, just remixed for 5.1. It fit like a glove. This quad mix, however, provides a listening experience like it's really an entirely different mix. It's like tubular Bells 1973 vs. the 2009 remix. They're two distinctly different listening experiences. All I can say is WOW.

I SO hope that the other Quad mixes will some time see the light of day. As far as I'm concerned, don't even bother making new 5.1 mixes of the other albums. Just get the old quads out there. I'll be the first in line to buy them.

I'm just listening to this mix for the first time, and I'm blown away. I have the SACD and was really impressed with it, but I had no idea how much different, and in most cases, superior Parsons' quad mix is. Us and Them in particular is an entirely new experience. Did anybody else notice that there are saxophone parts in it that are completely MISSING from all CD/SACD versions? I mean right before the vocals come in, there's a bit of sax play that I never heard before and that's definitely not present in the stereo or 5.1 mix. The echoes that go around the room are spectacular, too.

I also noticed, though, that at the end of "On the Run", some of the maniacal laughter is drowned out by the rising noise, or simply missing altogether.

All in all, Guthrie's mix, as many pointed out, is indeed less aggressive, and many elements are far in the background while in Parsons' mix, they are distinctly audible and at the forefront. One example is the line "I never said I was frightened of dying" in "The Great Gig in the Sky". On the SACD, it is floating around somewhere in space, in the quad, it's right there, loud and clear.

Listening to the SACD was like hearing the familiar material again, just remixed for 5.1. It fit like a glove. This quad mix, however, provides a listening experience like it's really an entirely different mix. It's like tubular Bells 1973 vs. the 2009 remix. They're two distinctly different listening experiences. All I can say is WOW.

I SO hope that the other Quad mixes will some time see the light of day. As far as I'm concerned, don't even bother making new 5.1 mixes of the other albums. Just get the old quads out there. I'll be the first in line to buy them.

NOw you probably understand why I couldn't even make it to the end of the new SACD mix after being so familiar with AP's mix. I traded it for something else ASAP.
To me, the JG was a "dumbed down" mix.
Many points can be added to yours, but I stopped the playback of the SACD right after the end of "On the run"...when the footsteps are limited to ...THE FRONT!!
Sorry, out the window it goes, I don't care what others think about the mix....it's a waste of plastic(well, the packaging was nice , though).
There must have been some REALLY BAD BLOOD between PF and AP(bad blood in PF?, how surprising!...NOT!!!) for them not to have released the masterpiece that is AP's mix...

I am coming in late on doing this. What is the link to be able to do the DVD-A version 4.1 of Dark Side Of The Moon. The one that will play (Hybrid) on a dvd player in low rez and play on a dvd-audio player in 24bit. Thank you for all your help. If you don't want to put in up on this site would you kindly email it to me. [email protected]

I am sorry if this is a repetitive question, but has anyone done a careful compaison of the Blu-Ray version of the quad mix to the DVD-A version? How do they stack up?

I am sorry if this is a repetitive question, but has anyone done a careful compaison of the Blu-Ray version of the quad mix to the DVD-A version? How do they stack up?

Good question, easily answered. I don’t know how the DVD-A came about, but we’ll be eternally grateful for its release and all the effort that went into it. The DVD-A will also hold a special place in my collection and will still get use from time to time. But IMHO the new DSOTM “Immersion Box set” is the one I’ll be listening to from now on. It’s absolutely worth the $100 or so for it.

Sound quality wise it feels like what it is, the original Master tape, no generations away from the source. Both BR and DVD-V offers one to pause the disc and switch from sound fields Stereo, 5.1 and Quadraphonic, totally cool. The Quadraphonic mix sound quality wise is also the best out of the three, although the other mixes are great as well. The DVD-A was great that there was nothing messed with the source. The same great dynamics is here too with the “Immersion Box set," except better and now I feel that one can get no closer to better quality of sound. More detail is here as well.

Very happy with this and thankfully those in charge had the wisdom to include the Quadraphonic mix. Because this great mix is now widely available, folk will "get" what it is and why we love the 4 channel format so much. All one need do is direct them to this Box set. Hopefully, this is just the start of more Quadraphonic releases from Pink Floyd and that their vaults are gone through to give us unreleased material like the Quadraphonic “Meddle,” “Animals” and anything else that might be there. Pink Floyd were/are Quadraphonic/Multi-Channel pioneers. Also hope other artists/record companies embrace this way of presenting their material and that we get the vaults cleaned out of all the Quadraphonic material that’s still there waiting to be released either for the first time or in a modern format for the first time.

Others will have thoughts about this..

Hopefully, this is just the start of more Quadraphonic releases from Pink Floyd and that their vaults are gone through to give us unreleased material like the Quadraphonic “Meddle,” “Animals” and anything else that might be there. Pink Floyd were/are Quadraphonic/Multi-Channel pioneers. Also hope other artists/record companies embrace this way of presenting their material and that we get the vaults cleaned out of all the Quadraphonic material that’s still there waiting to be released either for the first time or in a modern format for the first time.

Time is running out, the market for this stuff is pretty much based on those who were there and remember the albums from their youth. I don't think the Lady Gaga crowd will carry the torch.

So Roger or Dave , get on it, release Animals Immersion Box set

Very happy with this and thankfully those in charge had the wisdom to include the Quadraphonic mix. Because this great mix is now widely available, folk will "get" what it is and why we love the 4 channel format so much. All one need do is direct them to this Box set. Hopefully, this is just the start of more Quadraphonic releases from Pink Floyd and that their vaults are gone through to give us unreleased material like the Quadraphonic “Meddle,” “Animals” and anything else that might be there. Pink Floyd were/are Quadraphonic/Multi-Channel pioneers. Also hope other artists/record companies embrace this way of presenting their material and that we get the vaults cleaned out of all the Quadraphonic material that’s still there waiting to be released either for the first time or in a modern format for the first time.

Well... if the presence of a "old quad mix" on a digital boxset is starting to be seen as a "selling point" by the majors... that would be ironic, at least. After decades of givin' nothing and messing up the few decent thing done in surround, they found out that there is still a middle-aged half-abandoned cow to milk: quad stuff.

Offtopic suggestion for Capitol: since you've already found the quad master for GFRR "American band" (when SH asked for the *stereo* master for the AF cd release Capitol sent the *quad* master), dust off a 4-track machine and get it out.

What's the story behind your signature?

A little add lib from one of my favorite Franks albums.

thingfish001.jpg

Offtopic suggestion for Capitol: since you've already found the quad master for GFRR "American band" (when SH asked for the *stereo* master for the AF cd release Capitol sent the *quad* master), dust off a 4-track machine and get it out.
I wonder if SH played it. I know I would have. I somehow doubt he did.

Ok, how do I get this AP mix of DSOTM?
Hope this is not uncouth but please email, PM or whatever.

Newcomer and late to this party.

Welcome to the QQ forum. Your message was modified to fit guidelines. If someone can assist you in the search, it will be via PM.

Ok, how do I get this AP mix of DSOTM?
Hope this is not uncouth but please email, PM or whatever.

Newcomer and late to this party.

Welcome Jonny! You're in for a real treat.

Best way to get it is to grab the Blu Ray from the Immersion box set from 2011. The underground DVD-A was an amazing feat before the Blu Ray came out, but now it's pretty much obsolete.

You might be able to still find the Blu Ray without the massive box set on eBay. Otherwise, no harm in getting the whole box. It has marbles in it!

The underground release has not been remastered to modern style, and actually has better dynamics compared to the box set version.
Hopefully those responsible will do an updated version containing everything on one disc.

The underground release has not been remastered to modern style, and actually has better dynamics compared to the box set version.
Hopefully those responsible will do an updated version containing everything on one disc.

The 4.0 bluray sounds better overall than the internet DVDA to my 50 year old ears but if your saying it could be improved, I wouldn't argue that...

Back