XTC in 5.1!!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These would be great to hear in 5.1 for sure.
When did Andy tweet that as I have xtcfans as one of the ones that I follow once i found out that was Andy P. but somehow missed the tweet you speak of.
Can you post the tweet.

That's what the link goes to, the exact tweet.

That's what the link goes to, the exact tweet.

Yes, DOH, I see that now but when you go to Xtcfans, exact tweets that Andy sent out, this one you posted does not come up as direct tweets he has sent out, so don't totally understand twitter, is this a fake tweet then as shouldn't it showup under Andy's(xtcfans) when you check direct tweets he has sent out? Hopefully its true as that would make 3 more being worked on then with Oranges and Lemons as well.

It would be sweet if it the pair were released together as a 2-volume set like Andy originally conceived them.

Yes, DOH, I see that now but when you go to Xtcfans, exact tweets that Andy sent out, this one you posted does not come up as direct tweets he has sent out, so don't totally understand twitter, is this a fake tweet then as shouldn't it showup under Andy's(xtcfans) when you check direct tweets he has sent out? Hopefully its true as that would make 3 more being worked on then with Oranges and Lemons as well.
Call me one of the old guys but I find twitter confusing as well. Probably because I've only used it a bit but when I have I get lost.

Somebody mentioned to Andy P on Twitter about the sound of the original "Oranges & Lemons" stereo mix and here was his response:

I'm not happy with this album's sound either,no bass or low mids,but the 5.1 and it's new stereo should sort it

Happy that O&L is being remixed next. Hoping for a Fall 2015 release! :)

10440800_900431699968689_8529800074433097183_n.jpg

Pat Mastelotto published this photo yesterday saying:

Seeking old XTC material for their upcoming remastered bonus editions. Go Swindon!

So looks like the "Oranges & Lemons" reissue is gathering more and more steam! :)

The DVD-A for Drums & Wires is indeed defective.

Here is the e-mail I received:

Hi

We are sorry to have to tell you that the master DVDA seems to have become corrupted during manufacturing.

All current copies of the DVDA are faulty and will not play the final two tracks as a result.

Replacement discs are being made and we will send you a fresh DVD-A disc when we have them.

You do not need to return anything, just wait for your corrected DVDA to arrive.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Please note that the CD and Blu-Ray discs are not affected.

Kind regards

Marta

Burning Shed Support
[email protected]

This is for the last two tracks of the original mix transfer.

Some bits from a very interesting article:

Alas, unlike the Fabs, one couldn’t quite claim that the XTC catalogue has always been treated with reverential care. Setting out on a combined 5.1 and stereo reissue programme last year in conjunction with Panegyric label boss Declan Colgan – whose other clients include Robert Fripp and King Crimson – Partridge was understandably distraught to find that many of the group’s mastertapes cannot currently be located by latterday owner UMG.
“There was me thinking that they are in a situation like at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, inside a huge warehouse with an old fella pushing a trolley down the aisles going, ‘Ooh, there’s Gentle Giant, there’s The Subs, ah XTC, there they are,’” he says. “Sadly, my vision of our tapes residing in a temperature-controlled environment with Dexion shelving [has proven to be incorrect].”
While the search goes on for the originals of landmark albums such as English Settlement and Black Sea, Partridge has busied himself researching additional audio and video material for the reissue of Nonsuch – undoubtedly one of Gus Dudgeon’s final great productions before his tragic death in 2002 – and, imminently, 1979’s distinctly spiky, Steve Lillywhite-produced Drums & Wires
“The surround sound for Drums & Wires is pretty minimal as there weren’t 5.1 instruments to use on some tracks,” laughs Partridge. “It was cut virtually all live, with very few overdubs. ‘Punky skiffle’ I think I’d call it.”
In delivering the reissues – which are being released through Ape House/Panegyric – Partridge has been crucially assisted by a new collaborator, Steven Wilson. Best-known as a founding member of Porcupine Tree and now a distinguished solo artist in his own right, Wilson (pictured right) has established an increasingly hectic sideline as a remix/remaster engineer thanks to landmark reissue projects for primarily prog-oriented acts such as King Crimson, Jethro Tull and Yes.
“My intention with all the classic albums I remix is to be as faithful as possible to the original material, and that’s partly borne out by the fact that I only remix albums I genuinely love. I definitely have the fan’s perspective,” says Wilson. “So I am not about to change history or try and ‘improve’ anything in a revisionist fashion, although if possible I do aim to find a little bit more clarity or depth. I also try to retain as much dynamic range as possible; I don’t like things to be too compressed and limited.”
Based in his own Hertfordshire studio, unofficially dubbed No Man’s Land, Wilson works in the box using Logic Pro X. Universal Audio plug-ins remain a mainstay – “they make such fantastic emulations of classic outboard gear” – while the monitoring set-up revolves around Mackie HRH824 MkIIs for stereo mixes and Genelecs for surround work. Now, after something of a ‘70s focus these past few years, he is moving on to a slew of ‘80s classics with more work for XTC and an imminent reissue of Tears For Fears’ 1985 Fairlight-fest, Songs From the Big Chair.

http://www.psneurope.com/senes-still-working-overtime-remixing-reissuing-xtc-steven-wilson/

A slew of 80s classics? I like that part!

From QQ HQ

I would hope that "slew" contains a surround mix of "The Seeds of Love" (Tears for Fears), plus more from Simple Minds and other 80s artists who have not been afforded surround mixes. :)

Back