Queen "A Night At The Opera" original Elliot Scheiner mix on eBay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukothai

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
If anybody is looking for the original Elliot Scheiner mix of Queen ANATO that was pulled shortly after first release and changed for future releases by Brian May, there is now one on eBay. Only problem is that it is in China and shipping is expensive. Item #261828074231.

You can read about the mix differences in this Elliot Scheiner interview.

If anybody is looking for the original Elliot Scheiner mix of Queen ANATO that was pulled shortly after first release and changed for future releases by Brian May, there is now one on eBay. Only problem is that it is in China and shipping is expensive. Item #261828074231.

You can read about the mix differences in this Elliot Scheiner interview.

You mean this onehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/QUEEN-A-NIGHT-AT-THE-OPERA-DVD-AUDIO-RARE-/261828074231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf62b5af7 which sold right after your posting

Thank you, Sukothai, I've just bought it.

Clint, I can sell it to you without making a profit if you want.

I've had ANATO for some years now...no clue if mine is the Eliott S version....

Look at the disk - if the copyright text is in a circle around the outside edge of the disk, then it is the ES version. All later versions the copyright text is centered under the DTS logo in 5 or 6 lines of text. Also, the copyright date on the ES version is 2001 vs 2002 for the later versions.

Look at the disk - if the copyright text is in a circle around the outside edge of the disk, then it is the ES version. All later versions the copyright text is centered under the DTS logo in 5 or 6 lines of text. Also, the copyright date on the ES version is 2001 vs 2002 for the later versions.

OK, cool. I'll look later when I'm ambitious. It is buried in a cabinet with another 300 discs.....not well organized at the moment. I'm guessing mine is the later release/version.

I've had ANATO for some years now...no clue if mine is the Elliot S version....

Here ya go Gos - think got this from Fredblue some time ago - most likely you do not have it, they rare - but..........

http://en.queenvision.com/index.php?content=dvdanato

Easiest way to tell on listing is if text is missing from below the hollywood & dts logo on the dvd

Usually hard to tell on a listing on ebay from the back side view

Snood got up to late to snatch it......Got the email notice and went naaaaaaaaaaah - oh well the hunt continues :banana:

Here ya go Gos - think got this from Fredblue some time ago - most likely you do not have it, they rare - but..........

http://en.queenvision.com/index.php?content=dvdanato

Easiest way to tell on listing is if text is missing from below the hollywood & dts logo on the dvd

Usually hard to tell on a listing on ebay from the back side view

Snood got up to late to snatch it......Got the email notice and went naaaaaaaaaaah - oh well the hunt continues :banana:

OK, found it. Mine is the 2002 version. Damn....Oh well - still sounds flat out killer IMO.

I thought the Brian May 2002 version was largely prefered?

Also the mix was revised in 2005 when they found the missing multitracks for God Save The Queen, which was an upmix in previous versions.

Well, I'm uneducated on the subject - I didn't even realize there were different versions floating around. Only knew that I really enjoyed the way mine sounds.

I'm not saying which one I prefer, I just like being able to hear them all. I like both for different reasons and the 2005 for God Save The Queen of course.

Well, I'm uneducated on the subject - I didn't even realize there were different versions floating around. Only knew that I really enjoyed the way mine sounds.

Same here. This is all news to me. Can anyone comment on the difference between the different versions?

I'm surprised to find that I have the second version. I can't believe that I didn't jump on this the day it was released.

Also the mix was revised in 2005 when they found the missing multitracks for God Save The Queen, which was an upmix in previous versions.
Yeah, but by then it was not DVD-A anymore, but a DVD-Video with DTS and IMO that new mix of that (last) track wasn't significantly better than the previous version.

Yeah, but by then it was not DVD-A anymore, but a DVD-Video with DTS and IMO that new mix of that (last) track wasn't significantly better than the previous version.

FWIW - God Save the Queen (last track) is of course lossless hirez on the HFPA Blu-ray. Not that it sounds much (or any) better then the 2005 DVD-V.

Same here. This is all news to me. Can anyone comment on the difference between the different versions?

I'm surprised to find that I have the second version. I can't believe that I didn't jump on this the day it was released.

I keep meaning to analyze them side by side, but other than the differences ES talks about in the interview, I can't think of any more that stand out.

When Neil Wilkes posted the Exclusive pre-release of ANATO, I figured I was out of luck and would never own it. Then I ran across the en.queenvission.com site and saw there was a release in 2001 that was recalled. So, with the pictures from queenvision in hand, I started watching eBay and eventually got one. When I compared it to the differences ES talked about in his interview in SoundAndVision magazine, I knew it had to be the one before Brian May changed it.

Brian May likely didn't remix the album from scratch. I believe he just took Elliot's mix and tweaked it more to his liking. Some of the mixes are very similar to each other with only minor adjustments. One big exception is the re-entrance of the music on "Prophet Song"after the acapella middle break; the original ES mix is very weak at that part of the song with Brian May's version being far superior. Also, I remember the panning of the opening guitar chords to "Sweet Lady" being drastically different. I'll have to do side-by-side comparison of the two some time again.

Back