ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ALWAYS listen to the stereo versions.
I have a 2-channel and a 5.1 system in separate rooms.

Got mine this past week.
I know some are talking about the new stereo mix\master being "weak". I totally disagree.
Comparing the original to the new, the new is far more crankable, clean without being sterile, i.e., any real or produced air being sucked out.
I forgot how much I liked this album
We got loaded a lot to it back in the day.
Only have the original domestic vinyl up to now.
Will listen to the 5.1 as soon as possible.
So far highly recommended.

Nice shots (y) Question: were these three taken at the same show and was it in Kentucky?

Somehow missed this when it was pasted but thanks and yes, this was in Louisville, KY. ELP always liked playing there and made it often. They actually premiered the full orchestra concert there but I missed it. I saw them there 2 times: Pictures tour & BSS tour. Also saw them in Dayton(?) for Tarkus tour which included some of upcoming Trilogy songs Abaddon's Bolero was still Bellona's Bolero.

Stereo mixes are always important. I'm sure everyone here plays stereo at times even if they won't admit it.

Of course I listen to stereo mixes - as long as there's no decent surround mix available...

I very rarely listen to the Stereo remixes...

For whatever reason I don't get into comparing stereo mixes (not many get remixes anyway), I am more into the final sound quality of the remix OR remaster when it comes to stereo stuff. Give me options when it comes to multichannel music (not many remixes on these either) and I will not only gravitate towards the better mix, I will judge the sound quality as meticulously as I do stereo stuff.

I am loving all the new 2015 Rush remasters, they sound so much nicer than the new Zep stuff, but I would MUCH rather listen to a multichannel version, (of either) that is so good, I won't even bother with the stereo version no matter how good (new mix or remaster) the stereo version is...Prime example, Aqualung. No matter how good the stereo version is, I don't care, just give me the 5.1...

For whatever reason I don't get into comparing stereo mixes (not many get remixes anyway), I am more into the final sound quality of the remix OR remaster when it comes to stereo stuff. Give me options when it comes to multichannel music (not many remixes on these either) and I will not only gravitate towards the better mix, I will judge the sound quality as meticulously as I do stereo stuff.

I am loving all the new 2015 Rush remasters, they sound so much nicer than the new Zep stuff, but I would MUCH rather listen to a multichannel version, (of either) that is so good, I won't even bother with the stereo version no matter how good (new mix or remaster) the stereo version is...Prime example, Aqualung. No matter how good the stereo version is, I don't care, just give me the 5.1...

Between the heavy compression and Jimmy Page's meddling.. the Zep catalog has been trashed...he is a great guitar player and that's where his involvement should have ended......as much as I love the songs I won't go near them as long as Page is involved..

Received my Trilogy set today. To celebrate here a a few more pics from BSS tour.
Emerson_Kieth_BSS_2.jpg
Lake_Greg_BSS_2.jpg
Palmer_Carl_BSS_2.jpg

Received my copy of this release today :) I must begin by saying once again that I am learning about ELP's catalog via these recent reissues. Thus far I've been very pleased with both the music and the quality of sound and this holds true for this release of Trilogy. I do have to agree that the vocals could have been pumped up a bit more, but the sound is amazingly clean. Nicely done at a nice price as well :)

Between the heavy compression and Jimmy Page's meddling.. the Zep catalog has been trashed...he is a great guitar player and that's where his involvement should have ended......as much as I love the songs I won't go near them as long as Page is involved..

Sad but true...have you had a chance to check out the 2015 Rush stuff?

So many forums, so little time :-(

When I get my copy I will post my views.

OK got mine today and immediately played the 51 mix. It's a great improvement over the stereo mix (original or new) since ELP's sound lends itself to a surround sound mix and the producer has done a nice job with the surround mix.

My only query at the moment is the liner note which states the producer was not working from the original master tapes but digitized copies of those tapes. That seems a bit strange since it now does cast some doubt on the provenance of the source material. How hard would it have been for the liner notes to at least state that the source was created from the original 16 track master tapes, digitized at 96/24 or whatever and possible what decks were used.

Apparently there is quite some controversy in the industry on how analogue tapes are transferred and using what decks. For example just check this posting out by a master analogue recording engineer

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=4504

and then

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=4508

That being said I am very impressed with the fidelity of the 5.1 mix and it certainly is a major stepup from the stereo version, both original and remixed. I will be listening to the entire album again when the house is empty :)

Will there be a USA domestic release of the new Trilogy package or is it an import only title?

Of course I listen to stereo mixes - as long as there's no decent surround mix available...

I listen to much of my music in the car and I don't have a 5.1 system there. Coincidentally I had been listening to Trilogy in the car on the way home and found the DVD-A in the mailbox. Rushed into the house and played the 5.1 disc and was amazed at the additional ambience and immersive feel that mix provides.

Will there be a USA domestic release of the new Trilogy package or is it an import only title?

Yes, there will be a domestic release.
Currently I think it's only available here: http://elp.merchnow.com/products/201612/trilogy-deluxe-edition-3cd
But there should be other domestic retailers that put it up for preorder sooner than later.

This follows the usual procedure for these ELP deluxe reissues. Sony releases them first, and then Razor & Tie put out their identical version like a month or so later.

Is that really an issue? I got mine from Amazon UK, prettily speedily and at a good price. I can't see how a local e-tailer would provide much if any advantage.

If you are a ELP fan run, don't walk to your nearest web site and order it

the 1970-1979 dates?

There are several typo's sadly

I'm enjoying this Jakko mix considerably more than the Brain Salad mix disaster.

However the vocals sound very dry compared to the original mix as do some of the guitar parts.

There are several typo's sadly

I'm enjoying this Jakko mix considerably more than the Brain Salad mix disaster.

However the vocals sound very dry compared to the original mix as do some of the guitar parts.

I must admit that I don't like the "dry" and perhaps a bit quiet vocals, the mix sounds a bit sterile to me. :( Just my opinion.

Back