"Sparkle in the Rain" Separating Fact from Fiction

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A brief summary of my main posts:

1) Yes, the new stereo mix is actually mono (but the problem is getting fixed)
2) Yes, the surround channels are mapped out correctly (fronts, center, surrounds, & LFE all going where they need to go)
3) Yes, the vocal is somewhat low and distant (but this is not exclusive to this SW surround mix)

Read the full posts for more context, but this should hopefully give all of you a good idea of whether you want to buy this disc or (if you have already bought it) whether you want to keep it. :)

Maybe the problem with the 5.1 is a phase cancellation problem just like Pale Communion?

I can't tell because I have not worked with Steven on this mix and I have not even heard it as a matter of fact.

Last edited:
Maybe the problem with the 5.1 is a phase cancellation problem just like Pale Communion?

I can't tell because I have not worked with Steven on this mix and I have not even heard it as a matter of fact.

How would we be able to check for this problem?
Also, I'm relieved and disappointed to know that you didn't work with Steven on this mix. Relieved cause at least these mistakes didn't pass by your ears, and disappointed cause if they had, maybe things would be different.
Regardless, he should probably call on you before the new discs are pressed! :)

How would we be able to check for this problem?
Also, I'm relieved and disappointed to know that you didn't work with Steven on this mix. Relieved cause at least these mistakes didn't pass by your ears, and disappointed cause if they had, maybe things would be different.
Regardless, he should probably call on you before the new discs are pressed! :)

Thank you for the vote of confidence, but as I have never really listened to this album before, I don't think I would be the best consultant this time. ;)

To check the phase, find one track where an instrument is heard clearly on a combination of 2 or more channels.
Then compare the channels' waveforms in a DAW. If on one combination (L-R, fronts-rears, center-fronts...), one phase appears inverted compared to the other channel, there you have it. Some sounds would cancel or appear recessed, as you know.

Last edited:
I'm a bit disappointed, rtbluray, how you have attacked someone on another thread, and quoted this thread as a mark of your authority when you had already seen after your grand claims that the surround mix was fine (aside from vocals, maybe) that SW said it wasn't, and you didn't even know how to check for phase inversion. I think you owe alk3997 an apology.

I'm a bit disappointed, rtbluray, how you have attacked someone on another thread, and quoted this thread as a mark of your authority when you had already seen after your grand claims that the surround mix was fine (aside from vocals, maybe) that SW said it wasn't, and you didn't even know how to check for phase inversion. I think you owe alk3997 an apology.

For the record, I did PM him an apology once he made it clear that he was specifically referring to Universal and not any QQ QC people, but I extend that apology publicly on here to anyone else who was offended by my remarks.

All I'll say besides the above is that I've been in a very bad place emotionally over the last two months for a lot of personal reasons, and a few times this week, I let my emotions get the best of me.

Taking a Sabbatical from Public Posting to sort myself out and give this a break.
See you all after Easter.

Ryan, that was totally brave. Now I must apologise to you. I'm sorry, and should have thought better of you, or PM'd you nicely, or something.

For what it's worth it's always so risky claiming attention to detail: I made the mistake of putting this on a CV and had spelled my first name incorrectly - this was picked up on the proof read by somebody else. Also if there was an edit history of posts you would see the same here.

I also like your contributions. Be better soon.

I checked the waveforms of the mch tracks out. I found all channels different and no unambiguous sign of phase problem. The dynamic range is quite good (DR13).

For the record, I did PM him an apology once he made it clear that he was specifically referring to Universal and not any QQ QC people, but I extend that apology publicly on here to anyone else who was offended by my remarks.

All I'll say besides the above is that I've been in a very bad place emotionally over the last two months for a lot of personal reasons, and a few times this week, I let my emotions get the best of me.

Taking a Sabbatical from Public Posting to sort myself out and give this a break.

Yo wait a sec Wtf???

RTBLURAY this is the QQ forums and you are needed here..........you one of our buds here and we all look forward to any and all input you have.

Sheeeeeeeeeet even Snood has bad days, yep me do............but we got this thing addiction called surround sound in common and we all friends here. Yeah some might like this SACD and some might hate that SACD or whatever........but that is what this is all about. Our opinions and being friends and having our love for surround sound in common.

So no sabbatical needed my friend. :snoodhug: ...............god damn it... why doesn't my emoticon ever work ( my inside inside joke with myself that nobody will ever get)

This will have to suffice hmmmmmmm :banana:

rtbluray buddy it is just a forums.........forums that are actually pretty damn friendly

and yes, you are our friend here :snoodhug:

A brave post. Do return, your input is valued, as is everybody else's, sometimes we all over react and flame out. Its also very easy for something to come across very harshly when it wasn't intended to, lapses occur, we're all human. Ultimately this is only a hobby and its the music that really counts, surround mixes are a bonus, and we all hear things we like and some we don't.

I consider last night's unfortunate argument to be closed now. I'd like to get past that. Misunderstandings happen and that was all that occurred in the other thread. I should have put this earlier, but apology was accepted and I offer it back for any unfortunate phrasing on my part.

I have started a new thread on how to temporarily fix the surround mix. It's surprisingly easy (and the center channel isn't the actual cause).

Andy

I hope you reconsider RT and don't go, I feel this is a time when your input, knowledge and insight is needed as much as ever and I would miss your contributions greatly for one.. but I respect if you feel you need to take time out right now. Drop me a line anytime my friend, you never have to go through anything life throws at you on your own.

Not sure why the other Thread was closed. Noticed it was cleaned up which is both good and bad.

Anyway, I did some listening via a couple of different ways (5.1 & headphones).

Upon comparing about 5 tracks (Original LP Side 1) off the DVD with the 2002 CD release that I have, I've discovered the surround mix isn't as bad as I assumed on first listen via the surround mix. I do have a problem with the center channel level being way too low. I'm not sure why this is the case. Also, the surround channels were too loud on a couple of the songs. This may be the way SW set the channel levels. If not, I'm sure it will get corrected. btw, I listened with room correction engaged for obvious reasons.

While listening to the surround mix of these few tracks over headphones while comparing them to the CD version, I was struck by how much clearer, immediate and real they sounded. It was like listening to the master tape directly. The flip side to this is that you can really hear how it was recorded. Based on that, I feel this album could be better if they'd re-record it to remove that wall of sound. So many good songs here that could use a refresh. :)

Not sure why the other Thread was closed. Noticed it was cleaned up which is both good and bad.

... Based on that, I feel this album could be better if they'd re-record it to remove that wall of sound. So many good songs here that could use a refresh. :)

Phil Spector is rolling over in his cell after that comment! I almost said rolling over in his grave based on his mug shot - very scary.

Hey. I just messaged BullMoose in regards to a hopeful replacement. I'll keep everyone posted as to a reply. Thanks.

And.....................what are the official reasons fro the replacement?, so if BullMoose inquires with me, I can tell them. STAT! Thanks

Last edited:
Hey. I just messaged BullMoose in regards to a hopeful replacement. I'll keep everyone posted as to a reply. Thanks.

And.....................what are the official reasons fro the replacement?, so if BullMoose inquires with me, I can tell them. STAT! Thanks

To correct both the stereo and surround mixes on the DVD-A and Blu-Ray.
The stereo mix was mono, and both mixes were 'mastered' instead of being flat transfers as Wilson wanted.

Back