Marshall Blonstein of Audio Fidelity at WAX Record / Music Collecting Event Oct/24-25

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any approach to Dweezil Zappa, or is that too soon? He is now in charge, right?

Very happy that you got to pick his brain and that you not only found things out and received information about the whole process (along with some scoops). There's nothing like sharing a meal with someone to loosen things up and make them more relaxed. You also walked away with two SACDs you wanted. Good for you! :)

Yes, and I think knowing some things about the labels he worked at prior, their releases and history, that helped some I think, to keep the conversation interesting and varied. I was trying to get the inside info on the availability of so many titles, and going from memory it was tough. Yet he made me feel like I need not hurry up, just take my time and think of the titles I was interested in. The good news is he has been pursuing everything that is commercially and artistically viable. He's an old fashion A&R record man at heart I gathered, which is good.

I brought up Zappa, and was told that they ZFT are not interested in working with AF.

Disappointing but its their call..

I think they may have a change of heart down the line when they see AF cleaning up with all these top tier Surround titles..

Thanks once again quicksrt.

You know, it is a bit like a trip to the Doctor's.. nobody wants the bad news but it is better to know how it really is and then we can make "alternative arrangements" (basically in this case that means me obtaining Zappa Quads by other means and the family getting FUCK ALL of my money. Sorry for swearing but.. sometimes.. you just gotta do it :eek: )

Yes, and I think knowing some things about the labels he worked at prior, their releases and history, that helped some I think, to keep the conversation interesting and varied. I was trying to get the inside info on the availability of so many titles, and going from memory it was tough. Yet he made me feel like I need not hurry up, just take my time and think of the titles I was interested in. The good news is he has been pursuing everything that is commercially and artistically viable. He's an old fashion A&R record man at heart I gathered, which is good.

Amazing.. I'd love to give him the world's biggest hug! Those Surround SACDs they've released already have made me so very happy (unreleased 5.1's and some of the finest Quads... wow.. HE DA MAN! :D )

Disappointing but its their call..

I think they may have a change of heart down the line when they see AF cleaning up with all these top tier Surround titles..

Thanks once again quicksrt.

You know, it is a bit like a trip to the Doctor's.. nobody wants the bad news but it is better to know how it really is and then we can make "alternative arrangements" (basically in this case that means me obtaining Zappa Quads by other means and the family getting FUCK ALL of my money. Sorry for swearing but.. sometimes.. you just gotta do it :eek: )

Part of it is that the Zappa family has their own projects that they wish to do. Plus politics are rampant here.

A couple of comments on this Fred, AF are working from then same list for quad as we all are. I do not know which of these are not available, but I can say a couple of them are available (really desirable ones too), and we are going to see them for sure.

I got the impression that Marshall and AF do not mind being reminded that we have our favorites and would really like to see them reissued. I would if I were you boil this list down to six of the most important titles to you, and keep that list posted every now and again. AF can release these in any order that they wish. It may as well be in the order you wish.

Oh this is just the old Quad stuff I've fallen in love with in SQ LP form since I got the Surround Master and started buying old records again! I've loads more to add to the wishlist (its the topic that dare not speak its name but we've all heard the conversions.. tbh I'd heard a number of these old Sony label jobs before I even bought a single SQ record.. but well you know, its all good clean fun!)

Six of the best you say? Impossible sorry! :yikes

From that list.. my top 20 would be..

Aerosmith - Get Your Wings,
Billy Joel - Turnstiles,
Bob Dylan - Desire,
Chicago - X,
Earth Wind & Fire - Head To The Sky,
Edgar Winter Group - Shock Treatment,
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody,
Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World,
Johnnie Taylor - Eargasm,
Miracles - Love Crazy,
O'Jays - Message In The Music,
Poco - Seven,
Raiders - Indian Reservation,
Redbone - Message From A Drum,
REO Speedwagon - This Time We Mean It,
Return To Forever - Musicmagic,
Rick Derringer - All American Boy,
Ted Nugent - Free For All,
Tower Of Power - Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now,
Wild Cherry - Electrified Funk.

Oh this is just the old Quad stuff I've fallen in love with in SQ LP form since I got the Surround Master and started buying old records again! I've loads more to add to the wishlist (its the topic that dare not speak its name but we've all heard the conversions.. tbh I'd heard a number of these old Sony label jobs before I even bought a single SQ record.. but well you know, its all good clean fun!)

Billy Joel - Turnstiles,
Bob Dylan - Desire,
Chicago - X,
Miracles - Love Crazy,
Poco - Seven,

I'd easily buy a third of these! Bring them on!

Billy Joel - Turnstiles,
Bob Dylan - Desire,
Chicago - X,
Miracles - Love Crazy,
Poco - Seven,

Now that's a reasonable list of goodies. Dylan is out because of the MFSL reissues. Chicago X was mixed to quad but tapes have not been found.

I'd easily buy a third of these! Bring them on!

Curious Simon, which 1/3 would you be all over like a coat of paint? :p

Things like Turnstiles, Desire and Harvest For The World were only ever available in SQ LP form afaik, so to bring those titles to Surround SACD in discrete Quad form for the first time seems like a reeeallllyyy good move to little old me... :eek:

OH...!! :yikes

No way Jose...!! :yikes

Those Chicago Quad masters should have been locked away like precious jewels not allowed to go missing..!! :yikes

We all agree that between licenses tied up with other reissue labels, missing tapes, fires, artists declined requests, and too high asking prices, quite a large group of titles are not happening.

We're lucky we are doing this well so far in the series. It's a lot of red tape here among the missing tapes.

We all agree that between licenses tied up with other reissue labels, missing tapes, fires, artists declined requests, and too high asking prices, quite a large group of titles are not happening.

We're lucky we are doing this well so far in the series. It's a lot of red tape here among the missing tapes.

I understand.. so bearing in mind all the barriers of missing tapes, declined requests, etc., can I please just have a Yes or No as to whether there is any chance of AF Surround SACDs in principle to two of my all-time favourite artists' Quads?

The Isley Brothers? Yes or No?

The O'Jays? Yes or No?

Thank you :)

So.. 'Regarding the case of the missing Chicago Quads', Sherlock Fred here asks..

"Where did Rhino locate the Quad masters for the Chicago Transit Authority Quadio release..?"

That might help Audio Fidelity locate the masters for Chicago X.. just a thought..

Curious Simon, which 1/3 would you be all over like a coat of paint? :p

Things like Turnstiles, Desire and Harvest For The World were only ever available in SQ LP form afaik, so to bring those titles to Surround SACD in discrete Quad form for the first time seems like a reeeallllyyy good move to little old me... :eek:

At a glance, I'd go for these:

Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
Billy Joel - Turnstiles
Chicago - X
Earth Wind & Fire - Head To The Sky
Edgar Winter Group - Shock Treatment
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody
Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World
O'Jays - Message In The Music
REO Speedwagon - This Time We Mean It
Rick Derringer - All American Boy
Ted Nugent - Free For All
Wild Cherry - Electrified Funk

I understand.. so bearing in mind all the barriers of missing tapes, declined requests, etc., can I please just have a Yes or No as to whether there is any chance of AF Surround SACDs in principle to two of my all-time favourite artists' Quads?

The Isley Brothers? Yes or No?

The O'Jays? Yes or No?

Thank you :)

So.. 'Regarding the case of the missing Chicago Quads', Sherlock Fred here asks..

"Where did Rhino locate the Quad masters for the Chicago Transit Authority Quadio release..?"

That might help Audio Fidelity locate the masters for Chicago X.. just a thought..

No idea on those Fred.

My gut feeling says that they are "available" being that they are not already out on reissued audiophile releases.
My brain wonders if strong sales potential is there?
I personally think R&B comes off really well in quadraphonic, it just does damn it!

No idea on those Fred.

My gut feeling says that they are "available" being that they are not already out on reissued audiophile releases.
My brain wonders if strong sales potential is there?
I personally think R&B comes off really well in quadraphonic, it just does damn it!

yeah - wish we could get some psychedelic type release in Quad....that would be fun. Can you say...Jefferson Airplane? :) :)

Back