Marshall Blonstein of Audio Fidelity at WAX Record / Music Collecting Event Oct/24-25

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a glance, I'd go for these:

Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
Billy Joel - Turnstiles
Chicago - X
Earth Wind & Fire - Head To The Sky
Edgar Winter Group - Shock Treatment
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody
Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World
O'Jays - Message In The Music
REO Speedwagon - This Time We Mean It
Rick Derringer - All American Boy
Ted Nugent - Free For All
Wild Cherry - Electrified Funk

Great choices!

The Quad mix of Turnstiles is (mostly) great in SQ (New York State Of Mind sounds SO different to the Stereo, its quite a shock at first listen) I can only imagine how wonderful the discrete masters must be..

Shock Treatment is the less commercial choice of the Edgar Winter's (They Only Come Out At Night would be the biggy obviously) but I love things like Easy Street, Sundown, River's Risin', Miracle Of Love.. my SQ LP is bright and the old CD I have is brighter still (and the DTS conversion I heard stutters all over the place, either a bad encode or rip or something is up with it) so I would dearly love to finally hear the ultimate Quad AND Stereo versions of this one.

REO Speedwagon and Ted Nugent held the biggest musical surprises for me because I didn't know either of those albums before I heard the Quads.. the Rick Derringer is one of my most played Quads, its just Classic Guitar Rock par excellence.. why it wasn't a bigger hit mystifies me..

Electrified Funk is the best funk album no-one's ever heard of! If Audio Fidelity get that one out it will be a huge deal for me, not only do I love the album to death but was practically distraught to learn there was a Surround SACD of it planned years ago that got cancelled.. this would really be quite something to get it out on SACD at last (a bit like the Labelle which was also destined for SACD years ago before Sony pulled the plug.. so thrilled AF got that one out.. what a coup..!!)

No idea on those Fred.

My gut feeling says that they are "available" being that they are not already out on reissued audiophile releases.
My brain wonders if strong sales potential is there?
I personally think R&B comes off really well in quadraphonic, it just does damn it!

Ah.. thank you anyway! :)

I don't know about sales potential while they're in print but if prices of the out of print Isleys and O'Jays SACDs are anything to go by if AF do put them out once they've sold all their inventory watch the prices rise and rise..!! ;)

EVERYTHING comes off really well in quadraphonic - there, fixed it for you :eek: Haha.. :D

I may be the only one but I really like some of the tracks on that BT Express album and imagine it would be great in Quad!

Thanks Clint and Jim, yes, he was super down to earth and seemed interested in my thoughts and hopes about the product. It was great!

Sounds like a great day! It also shows that the independent labels are happy to listen to their customers and potential customers, which is very heartening. Its good to know more AF 4.0 releases are coming, I haven't been disappointed in any of the Quad releases so far, so I'll purchase more as they come out. I trust Audio Fidelity are making money from them because that allows them to invest in more.

I may be the only one but I really like some of the tracks on that BT Express album and imagine it would be great in Quad!

You're not the only one :)

(I liked it so nice I bought it twice.. :eek: )

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I should explain I had to get a 2nd copy (but couldn't bear to part with the first one and didn't have the heart to tell the seller..) because the one I bought initially was broken when it arrived in the mail..! I mean like completely cracked through..! :yikes

image.jpg

Anything Marshall is able to secure the rights to, I'm in. I do have my favorites - anything by Gordon Lightfoot, anything by Joni Mitchell, Chicago greatest hits. The worst of the Jefferson Airplane.

really cool would be Long John Silver by the airplane with a replica album cover that turned into a stash box - lol

Any possibilities by a certain band that starts with an A?

If it's Aerosmith, I didn't ask about this band on AF in 4.0.

I did find out something, Marshall totally avoids titles that were out on SACD previously. There seems to be a DSD market of buyers, and of course the stereo market (whom have already bought the DSD SACD versions). So if it was out in stereo on SACD even 10 or 15 years ago, then it's not one he wants to bother with. So "Toys in the Attic" is not one that they would be interested in doing. Which leaves us with Rocks and Get Your Wings as the only two Aero possibilities. And since AF is very up on things, I'd more than guess that they know we want these two if they are possible, and if the rate is not way out of sight.

If it's Aerosmith, I didn't ask about this band on AF in 4.0.

I did find out something, Marshall totally avoids titles that were out on SACD previously. There seems to be a DSD market of buyers, and of course the stereo market. So if it was out in stereo on SACD even 10 or 15 years ago, then it's not one he wants to bother with. So "Toys in the Attic" is not one that they would be interested in doing. Which leaves us with Rocks and Get Your Wings as the only possibilities. And since AF is very up on things, I'd guess they know we want these two if they are possible if the rate is not way out of sight.

Yep, those are the two I was thinking of. Add the BOC titles, and that would be downright heroic on AF's part. I'd like a lot of others on that long list also...

Can someone please list somewhere here all the quads that Marshall/AF have said are not available to be done, for whatever reason, so we can stop asking for them?

I have started a thread here for this purpose:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-NOT-Happening&p=267517&viewfull=1#post267517

Quicksrt, I totally understand not posting things that are unannounced which will be released, but can you please check this thread and add your notes about what WILL NOT be released, and why? This would be valuable info for all and I am guessing Marshall would not object to such a list. This would be a good place to start the comprehensive list. Thanks so much for your efforts!

I have started a thread here for this purpose:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-NOT-Happening&p=267517&viewfull=1#post267517

Quicksrt, I totally understand not posting things that are unannounced which will be released, but can you please check this thread and add your notes about what WILL NOT be released, and why? This would be valuable info for all and I am guessing Marshall would not object to such a list. This would be a good place to start the comprehensive list. Thanks so much for your efforts!

I will visit that thread and add to it. The easiest way is to add to the list the titles that Mo-Fi or MFSL have done already on SACD.

If Marshall prefers not to release albums previously available on SACD then how does that explain their BST disc, it was on MoFi not that long ago.
And the Grover Washington and George Benson discs were also released on SACD in Japan.
Guess what I'm saying is; I hope he bends the rules once in a while

Back